Revit Architecture

mika.niklander
Message 1 of 2 (173 Views)
Accepted Solution

Central vs Local

173 Views, 1 Replies
11-28-2012 06:54 AM

Should I open Central file from our server and create new local, or should I open my local file and reload latest (or synchronize)? Does it really matter which way to do it, or is there a technical reason to do it either way? Or, is it better to open central just in case to be certain that I'm using the latest file?

Thanks,

MiNi

Best practice for teams using a Central/Local file system is for each user to Open Central and Create New Local

each day, or when restarting Revit after a long absence during the day.

Opening Local and STC is a bad habit and if many users adopt this, there is a risk that local files will become incompatible with Central, and potential work could be lost or it may be difficult to get a local user's work copy/pasted

into the Central from an incompatible local.

cheers

*Expert Elite*
ccollins
Message 2 of 2 (165 Views)

Re: Central vs Local

11-28-2012 09:35 AM in reply to: mika.niklander

Best practice for teams using a Central/Local file system is for each user to Open Central and Create New Local

each day, or when restarting Revit after a long absence during the day.

Opening Local and STC is a bad habit and if many users adopt this, there is a risk that local files will become incompatible with Central, and potential work could be lost or it may be difficult to get a local user's work copy/pasted

into the Central from an incompatible local.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.