Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central/Local File Synchronizing Issue

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
kvell
1672 Views, 10 Replies

Central/Local File Synchronizing Issue

My Architecture office is using Mac Pro's with OSX and Parallels to run Windows 7 and Revit 2011.  We are having issues with getting everyone to be able to work synchronize to the Central File.  If one workstation (workstation 1) intially creates the Central File, puts it on the server then creates a local from the Central File they have no issue when synchronizing to Central.  However if another workstation (workstation 2) creates their own Local File it does not synchronize to central, it tries and an error of "File Failed to Save" pops up everytime.  

The Central File location is the same on both workstations (ex.  \\psf\FirmProjects\Active Projects\Project# and name\Construction Documents\Drawings\Central File Name}.

We have also turned off all antivirus and firewalls to elimnate that as an access issue.

Any suggestion on how we may be able to get everyone working with Local Files, and Synchronizing to Central?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
rosskirby
in reply to: kvell

Go to the Application menu (big R) and choose Options.  Make sure that the username listed on the general tab is the same as the login name for the user.

I've seen the sync issues you're having when two users are working in Revit and have the same username.  If you want the username to be different, just change it in the Options dialog.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 11
kvell
in reply to: rosskirby

The two workstations have different usernames set up in the General Tab of Revit Options.  The Username for Windows is different for each workstation as well, and the same goes for the Mac side.  I've had experience using Revit with Central/Local files before without any issues, however that was on a PC and now we are on Macs using Parallels which I am not familiar with.  

Any other ideas?

Message 4 of 11
rosskirby

Could it be a permissions issue?  Make sure everyone has write access to the drive/directory where the central file is stored.  Make sure that you do this for the highest level directory that contains the central file.

Another option: try cleaning out your Windows "Temp" directory.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 11
ccollins

Sounds like you have everything setup correctly.

As a troubleshooting test, perhaps you could you try using Bootcamp instead of Parallels?

I have read some things about problems using Revit with Parallels.............

Just a thought.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 6 of 11
kvell
in reply to: ccollins

The Central File on the server has full access, Read/Write for Everyone.  There is no Password for the Network and we turned all Firewalls off  temporarily to make sure that wasn't an issue.

@ccollins,

I would love to Dual boot the machine or use Bootcamp but thats not how this Office operates.  I'm new to the office and don't have that kind of leeway yet.....

There has to be a way around this issue for Mac+Paralless+Win 7+Revit 2011!!

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

Message 7 of 11
rosskirby

Did you check the Windows Temp directory?

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 8 of 11
kvell

I'm not exactly sure what to do there.... should I delete everything in the Temp Directory?

Message 9 of 11
rosskirby

Yes.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 10 of 11
kvell

I deleted all files and folders in the Temp Directory and tried to synchronize to central and it still comes up with the same error, "File Not Saved"

Message 11 of 11
kvell
in reply to: ccollins

@ ccollins

Ok so I have finally found some time to get back to this.  I was able to install bootcamp on three of the workstations here in the  office and all of them are able to work Revit properly and Synchronize to the Central File.  However those are the only ones in the office that have the Intel CPU. All the others still have the Power PC series.

Also there are a lot of programs we run that are only for the Mac OS X.  Plus it's hard to get architects/design folks out of the Mac World.   I would like to have the people that mainly use Revit to be in Bootcamp taking full advantage of the Hardware and for the casual users to be  in Mac OS X using Parallels or whatever Virtual Machine that allows the Central File to work correctly.  

I'm convinced the issue is Parallels, and the way it maps to the network.  Anyone have any other ideas on how to have Revit Work in Parallels?

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report