Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ceiling won't automatically place with column cover in wall

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
CADdaddy.com
1025 Views, 5 Replies

Ceiling won't automatically place with column cover in wall

Rooms completely surrounded by walls....ceilings place fine. If an architectural column is placed between two of the walls (curtain wall or basic wall) ceilings will not automatically place. Frustrating. Am I doing something wrong?

James LeVieux
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
melarch
in reply to: CADdaddy.com

James,

I did not have a problem placing a ceiling automatically in Revit 2009 or 2010. I checked out properties for ceiling and used both Columns checked and unchecked as room bounding with no problems. I am not sure what is going on with your install not placing an ceiling automatically. Is there more info you can provide? Does this happen in more than one project? Can you send the file off discussion to me at melarch@comcast.net or is the file too large. If so can you create a new file with just one room's walls, columns and ceiling and send it?

Mel Persin, aia
Mel Persin, aia
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

When you say an architectural column is placed "between" two walls, do
you mean that the walls do not physically connect to each other?

Though colums may be room bounding, they are not ceiling bounding. The
ceiling sketch will continue through the column to your walls. If the
walls do not connect, you have a hole in your boundary.

--
Brian Winterscheidt
LWPB Architecture
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Message 4 of 6

I did an exercise and found that when we use Architectural columns, ceiling can't be placed automatically. If we use structural column, it works fine. I always suggest to people to use structural columns. Use of architectural columns makes a lots of difference is structural calculations also.
Message 5 of 6
CADdaddy.com

Wow....you would think that would be JUST the opposite!

Thanks for all the replies...

James
Message 6 of 6
adafchik

I am using Revit 2011.  My Structural columns are set to "room bounding" and are attached floor to floor at each end.  However, I have a huge project in which the ceilings refuse to "read" the structural concrete columns.  Any ideas?  I tried creating new families to make sure it was definitely a structural element.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report