Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Load Family Files

31 REPLIES 31
SOLVED
Message 1 of 32
tang
60538 Views, 31 Replies

Cannot Load Family Files

I'm currently working on Revit 2011 and whenever I try to put in the sidelites into the project, I get this message:

Cannot Load Family Files

Some or all of the family files you selected cannot be loaded.  You must choose the family files of the category Component.

I've tried putting the sidelite by going through Door first.  I've tried going through Component.  It gives me pretty much the same message.

31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32
loboarch
in reply to: tang

Try loading them as a window.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 3 of 32
tang
in reply to: loboarch

Thanks!  That seems to work.

Message 4 of 32
cjbuss

I'm having the same problem tryin to load detail components. I'm trying to load Metal Stud details under the component option and I'm recieveing the same error message.

Message 5 of 32
loboarch

You will need to load those as "detail components" you can't be using the "component" tool and then try to load and place a "detail component"  Start from the Anotate tab and then select "Detail Component" from the drop down.  Now you can load the metal stud details. 

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 6 of 32
lochan.dandekar

After drawing a column, I tried to put footing to the column. Then while loading the footing from family (Metrics > Structure > Foundation > Footing-Rectangular.rfa) I get the below error message,

some or all of the family files you selected cannot be loaded. You must choose the family files of Category Structural Columns. Do you want to try loading a new set of files.

Please anyone help me to sort the above issue out.

Regards,

Pallavi

Message 7 of 32
bt1138

Jeff:

I logged a request to fix this behavior with Adesk. It would be SO nice if the reviet would say:

This is a a detail component family, not a window family. Would you like to add/load the detail component instead?

Not a part of the 2012. Seemed simple enough. 

bt

Message 8 of 32
fnbwimp

Can anyone help me. I hv tried to load family for structural columns but have failed miserably. Would appreciate idf anyone is able to assisst step by step. thank you.

Message 9 of 32
Base12
in reply to: fnbwimp

I ran into a similar issue and after my own troubleshooting figured out that my error was resulting from attempting to load a "Structural Framing" category family to use as a column... because, logically, a steel column IS structural framing.  However, Revit has its own category for columns, which when you find it has the same HSS, etc. shapes as in the Steel Framing category.

Hope this helps someone out.

Message 10 of 32
ijainishant

I am also facing the same problem in revit architecture 2012 while loading imperial rectangular column family.

displays the same message as above. please guide.

Message 11 of 32
ijainishant

I am also facing the same problem in revit architecture 2012 while loading imperial rectangular column family.

displays the same message as above. please guide.

Message 12 of 32
loboarch
in reply to: ijainishant

I am sure it is basically the same issue. There are "structural columns" and "architectural columns" you need to make sure you are loading the correct one based on the tool you are using to place the column.

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 13 of 32
jabiguerogailluz

How to load them as a window?
Message 14 of 32
loboarch
in reply to: jabiguerogailluz

Have the window command active and while it is active click "Load Family" then load the sidelight families. They are in the "windows" category so that command needs to be active when loading them. You can always just load the sidelight family from Insert > Load Family. Then place the sidelight using the window command.

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Tags (2)
Message 15 of 32
thaisscoimbra

I'm using revit 2016, and having troubles to load families. I'm getting the message "Some or all of the family files you selected cannot be loaded. You must choose family files of the category Component. Do you want to  retry loading a new set of files?". However, I'm doing the path Insert > Load from Library > Load Family. The family shows up in my project browser, but beit doesn't appear when I look for components. How could I solve this? Thanks!

Message 16 of 32
ToanDN

You are loading a family that is not a Detail Component. What is it and what exactly you need to load?
Message 17 of 32
thaisscoimbra
in reply to: ToanDN

Actually I can't load any family I downloaded from the website "revitcity", but until yesterday it was working fine. My revit families that came with the program are being loaded normally, only the ones I got from the website are not. It's happening with all families, but before it wasn't.
Message 18 of 32
shixu_1206

Hi Everyone,

I tried to load a single arrow from detail components.

It gives me the same error message,

What Should I do?

Thank you !Capture.PNG

Message 19 of 32
thaisscoimbra
in reply to: shixu_1206

Hi! What I did was loading the file as a new group (Insert > Load as Group), instead of load family.

I hope it works!
Message 20 of 32
ToanDN

Because Generic arrow is an Annotation family, not a Detail Component family. Load it from Symbol under Annotation tab, or simply drag and drop it onto your Revit project from Windows Explorer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report