Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot create a Wall Foundation under a Curtain Wall

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
trippster2006
1816 Views, 11 Replies

Cannot create a Wall Foundation under a Curtain Wall

I am having trouble placing a wall foundation under a curtain wall in my project. Revit says that a foundation has been added but it is not visible in any view. I've tried editing the visiblity properties but that didn't fix the probelm. Thanks for the help.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Is it not even visible in a 3d view?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 12

No, it doesn't even show up in the 3D view. The members are listed in the structural schedule, but they are not visible in any view.

Message 4 of 12
djstein
in reply to: trippster2006

this is a known BUG, I dought Autodesk is doing anything about it, to busy cashing the subscription checks.Man Happy

here are some workarounds. they are not great but they get the job done.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?104539-Where-do-curtain-wall-foundations-go

I usually just end up using a structural floor because any changes to the wall/foundation break the workarounds.

good luck and please report this problem.

Message 5 of 12

This seems to still be an issue. PLaced a wall foundation, and now the curtain wall acts like it has a wall foundation ( it's not available to select for wall foundation placement) but nothing is visible. Wall foundations for normal walls are working fine

Message 6 of 12

Maybe this is an assumption by Revit's programmers, not a bug. In what cases do you need a strip foundation for a curtain wall? 

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 12

I use the curtain wall to model stud walls. Stud walls use wall foundations.
Curtain walls are walls. Walls are compatible with wall foundations - that's why you're allowed to select a curtain wall when placing wall foundations. If they don't want that to work, fine, display an error to indicate that they aren't compatible, or don't allow a curtain wall to be selected in the first place.
As it currently works, describing the interaction as anything other than a mistake on their part seems too forgiving.
Message 8 of 12

ok, I see. You had not mentioned that you were using the curtain wall tool to model stud walls. That is different than asking why the wall footing does not work for curtain walls.

Well, I believe this was an assumption by the programmers, thinking that a strip footing goes underground and a curtain wall starts above ground. I don't think it is a bug. But, bottom line is that it does not work. You need to use other tools. 

However, my question still applies. In what cases do you need strip footing exactly below a stud wall? The wall is either on top of a slab or on top of a stem wall (cmu or concrete) that has its own footing underground. In what case does a stud wall go directly on top of a footing? Can you show a section view of what you're trying to do? 

Message 9 of 12
Mike.FORM
in reply to: trippster2006

You can have stud framing on a strip footing if you are doing a pressure treated wood foundation wall.

It is popular in Canada for remote First Nations Communities.

You can either have the studs on a concrete footing or a double 2x12 on flat. 

Each option has some very specific rules on how it can be constructed and is outlined by the Canadian Wood Council.

https://cwc.ca/en/why-build-with-wood/durability/durability-applications/permanent-wood-foundations/

Message 10 of 12

OK. Can you do your footing with the wall tool or with the slab foundation tool? Those don't have any problems being under the element modeled with the curtain wall tool. 

Message 11 of 12

I place a minimally sized wwll in the curtain wall and put the foundation to that. Another in the long list of workarounds required in Revit
Message 12 of 12
ToanDN
in reply to: Drafter18VPD9

Add a horizontal grid near the base of the curtain wall and change the panels at the base (select one, right click and select panel on horizontal grid) and change them to a basic wall type (consider it is a shim under the curtain wall).  Now you can place strip foundation under those walls.

ToanDN_0-1708986056662.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report