Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Can you delete view types?

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
bward
19698 Views, 24 Replies

Can you delete view types?

Our template has many view types for floor plans but we don't need them all on every project. I know you can duplicate, but I don't see a way to delete. See attached.

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
CoreyDaun
in reply to: bward

I don't know of the direct method, but you can use Purge Unused from the Manage tab. Click 'Check None' and then select the Plan Types to be purged.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€
āž|āž Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 25
bward
in reply to: CoreyDaun

It makes sense why you have to purge versus being able to delete. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Thank you very much.

Message 4 of 25
aalderton

I don't see Plan Types when I try to purge. Am I missing something? 

Message 5 of 25
CoreyDaun
in reply to: aalderton

Hello, and welcome to the Discussion Groups!

All unused View Types should be visible in the "Purge Unused" dialog, at the top under "Views". If a View Type does not appear, then it is likely that it is still in use somewhere in the Project.

In order to easily find it, create a new View List (View tab Ā» Schedules ā–¼ View List) and include the fields, "View Name" and "Type". Under the Sorting/Grouping tab, set the "Sort By:" to "Type". This will provide a list of the Views according to their View Type so you can easily find out if a particular View Type is currently in use.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€
āž|āž Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 25
aalderton

This will technically delete view types, yes. I don't think I explained well enough, sorry. When creating a floor plan, View - Floor Plan - in the dialog you have the option to select a "Type". You can edit these types and duplicate but I can't find where to delete them. I tried the "Purge Unused", as stated above, but I can't find where the items exist to purge out. Is there another way to delete these? 

Message 7 of 25
chrisplyler

As is clearly stated by CADastrophe, they will be near the top of the list, under the Views listing, if they are not still in use in the project.

Message 8 of 25
Mirko.Jurcevic

Press 'PU' on keyboard or go to "MANAGE > PURGE UNUSED" you'll see something like this:

intelika-2015-04-07_090822.png

If this solved your issue, please Accept it as Solution help other forum users with similar issues to find answers easily.

Mirko Jurcevic

My blog: www.engipedia.com
Try my Revit add-ins: Autodesk App Store
Message 9 of 25
aalderton
in reply to: Mirko.Jurcevic

Thank you! I think my problem was that they were named the same as the floor plans that existed in the project so when I expanded Floor Plans I thought it was showing the actual view to be purged and not the View Type. Once I renamed them I clearly found them. Sorry for all of the questions and thank you for the help. šŸ™‚ 

Message 10 of 25

Well, it does not work that way in fact. Look at this example (this is French version of Revit, but it doesn't change the bottom line). I opened new project without template. So there is no any specific type of view in my project. Then I transferred de types from template and now I have types that I can't delete even if I try command Purge Unused.
Message 11 of 25

@nermin_hadziomerovic wrote:
Well, it does not work that way in fact. 

In fact, it does work that way. That's why it was marked as a solution. You didn't test thoroughly. The view types must be in use if you can't purge them.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 12 of 25

Well, I am really sorry but it doesn't works, although I would like that I am wrong (it should save me from problems). Just try to do same things as I did with several types of Area Plans, or even better, try to purge file joint. God luck.

So, do you still estimate this item solved?

Message 13 of 25

So, do you still estimate this item solved?

Absolutely, yes, but in this context it is up to the OP to make that determination. So, there are quite s few people that have been able to do this successfully. If you can't purge something it means it is use.

Rob

Message 14 of 25

Thank you for reminding me that. But file I transferred to you is just created, so there is nothing in it, I just have the Area plans types took from template. It's impossible to purge that, even with Ideate BIMLinkā€¦

Anyway if you insist, it's OK, don't take it so hard.

Good day.

Message 15 of 25

Okay. I don't know what you are doing wrong but the file that you posted only has one view type for each type of view.

View Types.jpg

Rob

Message 16 of 25

BTW, if what you are saying was factual, just because you find a situation where a solution doesn't work, doesn't mean that the solution isn't valid. 

Rob

Message 17 of 25

Well, how to tell you freindly...

You should look at the type of Area plans types, so you should try to create  area plan in the first (it's not the same thing as plan type). Than you will find several types of area plans that you can't delete.

You know Rob, it's not the first time I found the Revit bug, I am using it for 12 years now, I was beta tester foir Revit 2011, so d'ont took me for beginner.

Message 18 of 25

Why didn't you include any area plans in your example, genius?

I haven't used area plans so I'm not fluent in them by any stretch of the imagination but there is something locking up your types. They cannot be renamed or duplicated.

I tested this in a different project. Some area plan types can be purged. You have not disproven the solution by any stretch of the imagination.

Area View Types.jpg

The solution for this topic works for all other types of views. Just because you found an exception does not invalidate the accepted solution. Obviously the OP wasn't working with area plans.

Rob

Message 19 of 25

No, it just means that there are some problems with some types of views and I quoted immediately Area plans which are placed in posted file, so you are out of target. This solution does not resolve all the problems. It's all I said. Now, I don't understand why it is making you so outraged.

I will give a tip for the people from Autodesk ā€“ if you make few area plan types and you link Color Schemes to it, you will find yourself stacked: nor you can delete color schemes linked, nor you can purge Area plans not used.

Message 20 of 25

I quoted immediately Area plans which are placed in posted file.

Please reread your first post.

Here is a screen shot from your file:

Area Plans.jpg

You are not communicating very well. You started off by saying the solution doesn't work when it does.

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report