Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't paste these elements at this height because ...

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
surfcrazy
2333 Views, 13 Replies

Can't paste these elements at this height because ...

Hello

A problem occurs when I want to 'transfer project Standards'.

When I choose the 'view templates' from one drawing and try to transfer them to the next there is an error:

'Can't paste these elements at this height because there is no Level below to reference.'

I've tried a lot of different things but none gave a solution.

Also it looks like there is not an answer to be found on the net for this problem.

We've discussed it on another forum without result.

Hopefully Autodesk can clear the problem and give us a solution.

Other discussion on the net:

http://www.revitforum.org/architecture-general-revit-questions/873-transfer-project-standards-error-...

Thank you

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
ShawnGlerum5940
in reply to: surfcrazy

We have run into this issue now. I hope there is a resolution soon.

Message 3 of 14
vector2

Please tell me exactly what you mean, (in detail), with this

statement:

"from one drawing and try to transfer them to the next"

Message 4 of 14
ccollins

It sounds like when trying to use Transfer Project Standards from one Project to another, or from a Template(.rte) to a Project, the two files do not have the same Levels in them, and Revit is getting confused.

Try making the Levels identical in both, and then use TPS.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 5 of 14
vector2

Are we talking about Revit 2013?

Message 6 of 14
ShawnGlerum5940
in reply to: ccollins

I appreciate the comment; however, it seems backwards to have to change my levels to get a view template to transfer. View templates are based on Associated Level, Level Below and Unlimited. Not, First Floor, Ground Floor, Roof, etc.

The intent of Transfer Project Standards -> View Templates seems rather purposeful on Autodesk's part. I am asking this facetiously: Shouldn't the template transfer irregardless of the levels or any other model element in the project? These are visiblity settings not model settings.

I know, I am trying to be logical, but shouldn't this be a rather straightforward?

To be specific, when Transfer Project Standards -> View Templates is chosen an error message that says:

Can't paste these elements at this height because there is no Level below to reference.

Pops up. The error is an error that cannot be ignored and must be canceled out of in order to continue.

There are a number of people who have posted about this on other sites so it is not limited to the two of us posting on this issue.

I just tried it in reverse from the two project I was using and it worked. If I figure out the difference between the two model files, I will post my solution.

Message 7 of 14
ShawnGlerum5940
in reply to: vector2

Message 8 of 14
ccollins
in reply to: ShawnGlerum5940

Yep--I agree, it does not seem "logical". However, I'm just trying to solve the problem, and perhaps the fact that there is no "Level Below" to reference is a critical part of how View Templates work, as they do control View Depth settings

and need a "datum" to reference.

Let us know what you find out in your testing.

View Templates have been revamped a bit in 2013, so perhaps the problem has been resolved?

I have not seen this error message when using TPS in either 2012 or 2013 yet.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 9 of 14

My post on Revit Forum could maybe explane it more clearly:

Hello fellow Revit users
I have, for the first time, the same problem. (REVIT 2012, 32 bits)
1) I've changed the standard settings of a view template in drawing "A" that was started from my "drawing template".
2) I tried to transfer the changed view template to my new drawing, drawing "B". -> first from drawing A - error message:" Can't paste these elements at this height because there is no Level below to reference."
3) Then I transferred the changed template in drawing "A" to my "drawing template", no problem.
4) Trying to transfer the view templates from the "drawing template" to drawing "B" -> Same error: “Can’t paste these elements at this height because there is no Level below to reference."
So the problem lies with the new drawing.
This is the only post on, the net where  “Can't paste these elements at this height because there is no Level below to reference.” is mentioned. Annyone have found a solution by now? (Previous solution above doesn't work for my either)
Something in Revit error messages that really works on my nerves is that they just say:” It doesn’t work.” They NEVER say why it doesn’t work! :-s
Grtz Philip
Message 10 of 14

@Philip

Sounds like we are having similar issues. Works from one project to another but not always vice-versa.

I can't pin down what the difference would be between the two projects I have. There must be something unique to the one that is no allowing the transfer.

Back to the hunt...

Message 11 of 14
tylerjd

Howdy,

I've been having a similar problem that I (sort of?) fixed. For the below exercise, I recommend you make and play with copies of your two models, because you'll be deleting stuff and don't want to inadvertently screw anything up permanently.

Revit MEP 2013

Windows 7, 64-bit, etc.

Problem

When attempting to Transfer Project Stands of View Templates and Filters from one project to another, I get an "These standards cannot be transferred", Error 1 message.

I basically discovered that one of my view templates was failing the transfer, causing the whole operation to fail. (it was a working 3D isometric view). I wound up deleting it, recreating the template manually, and was able to transfer the whole batch of view templates and filters.

Below I describe my process for discovering which view template was the culprit.

Solution Workflow

In model I want to transfer standards to:

Delete all existing View Templates

Delete all filters

In Model I'm transferring from (our template .rvt): 

In all plan views view templates, uncheck "View Range" and "V/G Imports" (I didn't verify if this is necessary).

Process

-Attempt to transfer all of my view templates and filters from the template to the project (it fails).

-Go into my .rvt and delete half of my view templates, noting which ones I delete.

-Attempt to transfer the remaining view templates from the .rvt to the project (it succeeds). I now know that the offending view template(s) is in the half that I deleted.

-In the project, CTRL-Z so it's back to no view tempaltes and no filters.

-Do the same to the .rvt so I'm back to all my view templates.

-This time, delete all of the view templates that successfully transferred last time (they're not the problem).

-Then, delete half of your remaining view templates.

-Attempt to transfer again.

-In this manner, isolate which view template(s) are failing the transfer. Delete them and recreate them (you can get a little fancy with this to avoid redoing a lot of work). 

This is how I fixed our problem, and our .rvt is now able to transfer all our view templates.

Cheers,Tyler

Tyler Disney | Integral Group | Oakland, CA
Message 12 of 14
leitourgon
in reply to: tylerjd

What I discovered is when you create a 3d View or Walkthrough, it automatically creates a new view template.  Revit (at least 2012) does not like to trandfer those view templates.  

I just delete the all my 3D Views and Walkthrough view templates (you create new ones anyway) and it should transfer the rest of your view templates just fine.  

Hope that helps... Revit on!

Message 13 of 14
imanobahdy

simple resolution. use other project which contained similar items

@surfcrazy wrote:

Hello

A problem occurs when I want to 'transfer project Standards'.

When I choose the 'view templates' from one drawing and try to transfer them to the next there is an error:

'Can't paste these elements at this height because there is no Level below to reference.'

I've tried a lot of different things but none gave a solution.

Also it looks like there is not an answer to be found on the net for this problem.

We've discussed it on another forum without result.

Hopefully Autodesk can clear the problem and give us a solution.

Other discussion on the net:

http://www.revitforum.org/architecture-general-revit-questions/873-transfer-project-standards-error-...

Thank you

and transfer project standard.

Message 14 of 14
oliver.sliva
in reply to: imanobahdy

Five years after the last post...

The alert states the reason for the error is that no level above exists for the templates to reference.   So I gave it a level above by selecting the C-Shared Levels and Grids workset and copying the only level in the model up 50’ above.  After doing that, all of the view templates to include the 3D ones transferred without issue.  Deleting the copied level after the successful view template transfer did not result in any conflicts.  

If your receiving model has multiple levels, this solution probably doesn't apply.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report