Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Drag or Align Surface Pattern???

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
christalsma
10088 Views, 13 Replies

Can't Drag or Align Surface Pattern???

I've got a 'Paint' applied surface pattern on some wall ends that I'm unable to drag or align. It's so easy to do in other instances that I'm frustrated by not being able to do it here. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: christalsma

My guess in this instance is that your work plane is set to the floor plan.
So alignments and moving are constrained to X-Y plane. You want to move this
in the Z axis. Either: Set the work plane to the surface you are working
with or move to an elevation view. When in an elevation view the work plane
is automatically aligned with the view.

wrote in message news:5046831@discussion.autodesk.com...
I've got a 'Paint' applied surface pattern on some wall ends that I'm unable
to drag or align. It's so easy to do in other instances that I'm frustrated
by not being able to do it here. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
Message 3 of 14
christalsma

Thanks for the post, I've tried moving it in elevation and I get the same error.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

I tried myself and had the same error message. I can move or align the
pattern of the other faces (exterior or interior wall faces) but not of the
faces that are created as the wall end (where the exterior or interior face
material wraps the core). This is weird!
Message 5 of 14
christalsma

Thanks for the validation. Maybe somebody who can do something about it will notice.

Cheers
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

From looking at your attachment you would like to align the end of the wall Paint pattern with the face of the wall paint pattern.

No problem. Check out the attachment!

Here is the Issue: The wall end is actual a part of the wall wrapping function, True you can paint the end of a wall with a material, but in doing so you have limited control and it does not respond to re-alignment. Wall ends are not independent of the wall faces and therefore alignment is controlled by the exterior or interior wrapping function of the wall faces.

On the other hand, you can set the Wall End wrap type parameter for that wall to Exterior or Interior, depending on which face a material has been painted on to wrap around and align.

If you have already painted the wall end, before setting the Wall End wrapping to exterior or interior, then you will need to re-select the Paint tool and set the material to "By Category" and re-select the wall end to have it align with the wrapped face.

Mel Persin, AIA
ADT/Revit Consultant and Training
melarch@ameritech.net
Message 7 of 14
christalsma

Right. Well here's what I wanted to do, I wanted to paint the end cuz it's a 10 inch thick wall, not the standard 8. I wanted to eliminate all of the vertical joints in the end that are drawn when using a standard 8 x 16 inch pattern for the wall face. I guess I'm stuck with one or the other.
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

Guess what.  More than a decade later this is still a problem.  Yes I am still using model patterns, and no you still can't adjust the pattern on the end of a wall.  Maybe sometime in the next decade this will get addressed. 

Message 9 of 14
cicerobatistajunior
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi, I've got this same issue while working here (I wasn't able to align a surface pattern to a wall). 

Here's a solution that worked fine for me:

1. After creating the material, with a model pattern, apply to the desired surface.

2. If you can't se the surface pattern lines, change your visual style to Shaded.

3. Then, if you still can't see the pattern lines, right-click on the desired surface, then go to Overide Graphics in View > By Category > Surface Lines > Check Visible box, then click OK.

4. Now you are able to select the surface pattern lines and align it to what you want. Remember using Tab key to accurate selection.

Hope this might be helpful. 

See you. 

Message 10 of 14

@cicerobatistajunior

Nope.  Doesn't work.

and it's Surface Patterns, btw, and their visibility was never the problem.  Besides, they're on by default.

No, I think the problem here is a fundamental flaw in whatever engine AD is using to render the lines in our views and they can't fix it.  Even with the Location Lines set to a face a surface pattern will always lock to the center of the wall.  The only solution is a filled region in the view.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: kgatzke

Hi all,

This item has been annoying me for years!  AD has not fixed it and I do not think they ever will.

On a positive note, one workaround I have been using for a while is the rotate command.  The pattern model lines at the end of a partition cannot be moved, but they can be rotated.  For example, rather than creating a new material than has the same material tag as the other to remove a vertical line that is not desired, one example of how to get around this but not my favorite, you can move your cursor along one of the horizontal lines to a point outside of the partition end, select your rotation origin , and then rotate the vertical line outside of the partition end.  You will need to be cognizant of the vertical line repeat width and select your rotation origin according to that width.

Has been a quick way to get around this problem for me and I hope this helps save some time with future modeling.  

Message 12 of 14
JMiller319

I had this problem and it turns out the graphic I was using was a drafting pattern and it needed to be a model pattern.  This can be changed by going to edit type, edit structure, select material with graphic, then click on your graphic pattern and on the pop up window you can select 'pattern type'.  If you want to be able to align the pattern select model type.

Tags (1)
Message 13 of 14
addisonbAM5PB
in reply to: JMiller319

Thank you so much this worked for me 😃

Message 14 of 14
riham.hamed

Refer back to the method you used to create the pattern itself. I faced the same problem because I drew my tile pattern as lines and then used "Array" to copy the lines at the desired distances, which converted my lines into "Detail Groups." Once the lines become grouped, you won't be able to grab and align them later in the interior elevations.

I created a new pattern with only line (no groups) and that fixed the problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report