164 Posts
2 Kudos
Post 1 of 5
Accepted Solution

Can't align nested family to reference line

793 Views, 4 Replies
01-29-2014 04:15 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to align a nested family to a reference line in my host family so that it rotates around a certain point.

I've created the reference line in my host family, locked the end point to two reference planes and then gave an angular parameter to the angle between the ref. line and the ref. plane.

I then inserted the nested family and aligned it to the ref. line. The problem is that when I flex the angle, i get a "Constraints not satisfied" error..

What could be wrong?

I'm using a generic face based family for both host and nested families...

Thanks

---------------------------------------

Using Building Design Suite Ultimate 2015

You are on the right track. But, it is not necessary to lock the nested family to the reference line in the host. Simply place the nested family using the "workplane" method of placement, instead of "place on face". Since you already put the nested family there, now select it again and find "edit work plane" or "pick new" "workplane", and select the workplane of the reference line. Then with the Move tool you specify the location of the object on its new workplane. It works as if you were just placing an object on a tray. The object doesn't need to be anchored on the tray.

*Expert Elite*
2,889 Posts
363 Kudos
Post 2 of 5

Re: Can't align nested family to reference line

01-29-2014 05:43 AM in reply to: ruipfbarreiros

You are on the right track. But, it is not necessary to lock the nested family to the reference line in the host. Simply place the nested family using the "workplane" method of placement, instead of "place on face". Since you already put the nested family there, now select it again and find "edit work plane" or "pick new" "workplane", and select the workplane of the reference line. Then with the Move tool you specify the location of the object on its new workplane. It works as if you were just placing an object on a tray. The object doesn't need to be anchored on the tray.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Mentor
164 Posts
2 Kudos
Post 3 of 5

01-29-2014 05:48 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

That did the trick!

Thanks a lot

---------------------------------------

Using Building Design Suite Ultimate 2015
*Expert Elite*
2,889 Posts
363 Kudos
Post 4 of 5

01-29-2014 05:55 AM in reply to: ruipfbarreiros

Wow, that was quick. I had posted my message just 5 minutes ago!  :smileyhappy:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
1 Posts
0 Kudos
Post 5 of 5

08-28-2014 06:10 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Hello All,

This is my first post.  I'm a long time CAD Designer, but fairly new to Revit (6 months).  I'm having the same problem as the original poster.  I originally did the exact same thing he did by aligning the planes in the nest family to an angled reference line in the host family.  I got the exact same results when I modified the angle parameter.

After I read Alfred_Medinas reply, I thought his advise would fix it.  It didn't.  Now, when I  modify the angle parameter, the refence line does move.  But, the nested family doesn't move with it at all.  I'm new to the laws of Revit. I really don't see why it would move without some sort of alignment to the angled reference line.  I need help baaaaddd.  My hair is too short to pull out (which is even more frustrating).

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the future of the Autodesk Community? To participate in this brief usability study, please click here. Your time and input is greatly appreciated!