Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I create a filled region on sheets ( hatch)

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
rlabib
52319 Views, 26 Replies

Can I create a filled region on sheets ( hatch)

I'm trying to add a hatch on a sheet , but the Filled Region button is gryed out ??? any ideas

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
Marlec
in reply to: rlabib

I think you can only make filled regions on views (any views in the project browser)... not sheets...

I think you're like me a CAD user gone Revit... a lot of thinking to change...

Message 3 of 27
CoreyDaun

You'll have to create a Filled Region within a Generic Annotation Family and then load that into your Project for use on your Sheet Views. You can use constraints and instance parameters to control the boundary of the embedded Filled Region in the Project.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 27
rlabib

Thanks everyone, what I did is I created a drafting view that has some details and filled regions then I put that on the sheet.

Message 5 of 27
ShannonZ

how did you do this? I am very new to Revit and can't figure a drafting view? (I'm using MEP)
Message 6 of 27
CoreyDaun
in reply to: ShannonZ

Hi Shannon, and welcome to the Discussion Groups!

Drafting Views are created by going to View tab » Drafting View. It would probably be easiest to set the drawing scale to whatever your Plan View is set to. Before you create the Filled Region or Masking Region, go to Annotate tab » Detail Line. Draw a couple of random Detail Lines on this View so you can better locate it on the Sheet View.

Open your Sheet View. Locate your new Drafting View in the Project Browser, and drag & drop it from there onto your Sheet View. Overlay it on top of your other Viewport. Next you'll have to get rid of the View Title, so select the Viewport of the Drafting View and click "Type Properties" at the top of Properties. Click "Duplicate..." and name this new Type to something with "(No View Title)" and click 'OK'. Now Set 'Show Title' to "No" and click 'OK'.

Now, back on your Sheet, select the Viewport of the Drafting View again, right-click, and select "Activate View". This will enable you to delete those random lines and draw in whatever Filled Regions or Masking Regions you need. When completed, right-click and select "Deactivate View".

If you run into any issues or problems, don't hesitate to ask!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 7 of 27
ShannonZ
in reply to: CoreyDaun

That was SO much help! Thank you very much! This stuff is just so not cut and dry! (I suppose I used to think about AutoCad too 🙂 )

Again, Thank You! I may be back as I keep running into these little problems!! 

Shannon 

Message 8 of 27
spike14me

Imagine my surprise when after years of using Revit I found out that filled regions can be placed on a sheet (not on a view but in the sheet itself).  How did this happen?  It was baffling to me that this could be done since the filled region is greyed out...  After a little playing the best way I found is to create hatch in AutoCAD and then import the dwg into the sheet. Explode the dwg and you will now have a filled region in the sheet.  Edit the boundary and you have now placed a filled region on the sheet.  You can now copy and paste this on any other sheets in the project or in any other project.  This is very beneficial for doing key plans that have many different shaded regions.  No more needing to create that key plan (Generic Annotation) with many confusing visibility parameters.

This works all the way back to 2012 and yet I wonder why the filled region button is still greyed out and unable to be used in 2015?????

Message 9 of 27
AndreRosteing
in reply to: spike14me

Thank you thank you!  Yes this works like a charm!  I never knew this and I'm a Revit 7 year old.

Just like he said, new cad doument, draw a rectangle, put in a solid hatch, IMPORT (not link...so you can explode it), and it becomes a solid region that you can edit the boundary just like normal.  Common Revit, fix yourself!

Message 10 of 27
dhenke1
in reply to: AndreRosteing

I have an idea...Autodesk could program Revit such that filled regions can function on sheets.  The scale of the hatch would be full scale.  Problem solved.  No?  Crazy workarounds every time?  Okay.  I will go back to pounding my head on my desk and questioning my career choice.

Message 11 of 27
Lindakourdahi

I believe you are only able to do it in elevation views. If you do it in elevation, it should show up on the sheets with the referring views. For example, I did a filled region in my North Elevation.. The sheet "north elevation" should have the filled region in correspondence with the elevation.

Good Luck! 

Message 12 of 27
Johan_Ekstrom

An easy way to work around this in Revit: 

- Draw a Detail Line on the sheet

- Create a Detail Group of it.

- Switch to a floor plan and place the same group.

- Edit the group and add an Filled Region. 

- Go back to the sheet and Ungroup the Detail Group created.

- Now you have a Filled Region on your sheet and you can copy/paste it to other sheets if you need to.

------------------------------------
Type x and y with every move in AutoCad and no one bats an eye...but use coordinates in Revit and everybody loses their mind.
Message 13 of 27
rolandcura
in reply to: Johan_Ekstrom

Tired this, however the field region is acting transparent, and the view port is visible through it. Properties are set right, any suggestions?

Message 14 of 27
rolandcura

I looked around the thread and I see couple of solutions, however. I have searched littler bit more and came to a solution which is basically most convention, for me at least. Create a family with no view-port, load it in to a project and on sheet where the title is not needed just use this out of properties options?  Just my 2cents. 

Message 15 of 27
omar.ashraf

I believe your first option is way better than this one (using generic annotations) simple because, drafting views have a scale which means that if you have a drafting view with a scale of 1:100

and you have a plan view with a scale of 1:50

you will have the scale label in your titleblock reading the scale as "as indicated" instead of writing 1:50 as the plan's scale.

Omar Ashraf
BIM Co-ordinator

Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post is interesting, I will Appreciate it if you give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept Solution.

Message 16 of 27
omar.ashraf

This one is the best solution, we always use it

Omar Ashraf
BIM Co-ordinator

Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post is interesting, I will Appreciate it if you give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept Solution.

Message 17 of 27
OO_HLB

Hello 🙂

I have tried to make a Drafting View. But the hatching

shows only behind the Key figure on the sheet.

How do I solve this?

Message 18 of 27
ToanDN
in reply to: OO_HLB

Two approaches:

1.  Create a Legend to draw the filled region.  Legend can be placed on multiple sheets.  See attached.

Capture.PNG

2.  Draw the filled region in the Titleblock family and add a visibility parameter to turn it on or off in project.

Message 19 of 27
OO_HLB
in reply to: ToanDN

Thank You for Your answer, but I need the hatching in front of the Key figure/

on the top of a part of the Key figure I have inserted - not behind!

Message 20 of 27
ToanDN
in reply to: OO_HLB

That is even easier.  Just draw the Filled region directly on the Key Figure view.  Make the Filled Region type transparent.

Capture.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report