Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can any Revit user convert these files to something useful?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Matthew.Peterson
899 Views, 11 Replies

Can any Revit user convert these files to something useful?

I have a bunch of .rfa files that were provided by a vendor that I need to import for reference into Solidworks. If a revit user could convert these to .iges .stl .stp or something that most and cad system can use I would be eternally grateful.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
L.Maas
in reply to: Matthew.Peterson

It is not that straightforward. The three formats you name are not on the export list of Revit. Revit is normally not used for creating machine ready parts like inventor or similar. So i do not know if the details in the Revit models will be sufficient for you. For example hereunder a screenshot of one of the Revit models compared to the url it is pointing to (PDF on legrad website) inside the Revit file.

Cablofil.png

You also can download and install Revit. Without a licnese you can still use it as viewer software.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 12
Matthew.Peterson
in reply to: L.Maas

Thanks for the input, I have never seen revit before. I have the vendor working on getting me some solidworks files, so I'm not too worried. That wasn't however, the complete list of files that solidworks will open though. The image below shows a more expanded list. I think .sat or.ipt may be more revit freindly? I guess if you see something easy on that list, all I need is the reference geometry for my assembly. (Which may mean i just end up drawing them myself) I would install revit, but it's like 5 gigs and I'd probably get in trouble by the internet police here at work.

12-16-2014 3-49-18 PM.png

Message 4 of 12
L.Maas

I have done one part for now. Both to sat and dwg. If it work I can do the rest later

The revit file also point to documentation for this part to THIS  url.

Louis

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
Keith_Wilkinson

IFC might be worth a punt...

For some reason when I download the zip file it's coming up as corrupt so I can't upload anything for you just now.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 6 of 12
L.Maas
in reply to: Keith_Wilkinson

The files in the zip are Revit families. As far as I know it is not possible to export families to IFC. In that case you would have to insert them first into a project before exporting.

Louis

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
Keith_Wilkinson

Would that not be quicker and easier though?  Insert them all into a project, export the whole thing as a single IFC file and then they can be pulled apart as required in Solidworks?  I don't know how Solidworks handles IFC but I would expect to get more useful information using that route than exporting as DXF or DWG...

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 8 of 12
L.Maas
in reply to: Keith_Wilkinson

Followed your advise. Pushed the families in a project and exported to IFC.

Hopefully Matthew can do something with these

Louis

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
Matthew.Peterson

Thanks!
Message 10 of 12
Matthew.Peterson

Thank you so much again for your help. Could I trouble you for one more part?

Message 11 of 12
L.Maas

Hereby

Louis

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
Matthew.Peterson

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report