Revit Architecture

Revit Architecture

Mentor
MKEllis
Message 1 of 7 (329 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can a family pull a parameter value from the host ?

329 Views, 6 Replies
10-08-2013 12:13 PM

I'm back on our door family, I have to give it a rest every now and then because it is guaranteed to drive me nuts :smileyhappy:

Is it possible to pull a family parameter value from the host wall ?

Ideally the thickness of the finish layer in the wall assembly.

I have the family working with a manual entry for the value, but it would be handy if it could deal with this automatically - and make a distinction between the interior and external finish layers ?

Many thanks

Martin

Yes. If the host wall in the project does not have the same layers as the host in the family, those parameters will be zero. For this to work properly, the walls in the project should be similar to the wall host in the family.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 2 of 7 (310 Views)

Re: Can a family pull a parameter value from the host ?

10-08-2013 02:37 PM in reply to: MKEllis

Yes. It is possible to read the thickness of the host wall and the distance from a face of the wall to the core of the wall, converting the dimensions into instance reporting parameters, which can be used in formulas to drive other parameters.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Mentor
MKEllis
Message 3 of 7 (304 Views)

10-08-2013 02:59 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks Alfredo, any pointers to how you do this ? presumably it is some sort of formula for the parameter in the hosted family ? How can I pull the value in ?

Many thanks,

Martin

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 4 of 7 (248 Views)

10-09-2013 02:50 PM in reply to: MKEllis

Measure from face to face in the host wall (not to reference planes). Convert the dimension into an instance parameter, reporting. Use the value of this parameter in formulas to drive the value of other length parameters in the family.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Mentor
MKEllis
Message 5 of 7 (246 Views)

10-09-2013 02:59 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks Alfredo,

Does the host wall in the family need to be amended to include a finish layer to each side, then add the reporting dimension to measure the thickness ?

I tried the steps you mentioned with the default wall (basic) but of course it only has the main (Core) layer.

Thanks

Martin

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 6 of 7 (232 Views)

10-09-2013 05:50 PM in reply to: MKEllis

Yes. If the host wall in the project does not have the same layers as the host in the family, those parameters will be zero. For this to work properly, the walls in the project should be similar to the wall host in the family.

Mentor
MKEllis
Message 7 of 7 (221 Views)

10-10-2013 01:57 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks again Alfredo,

Seems to work a treat :smileyhappy:

Family creation is hurting my head - especially all these nested, shared, linked parameters etc.

Regards

Martin

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.