Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a Drafting View be Assigned to a Phase

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
IMCornish
2479 Views, 21 Replies

Can a Drafting View be Assigned to a Phase

I use a number of 'standard details' which are Drafting Views (Detail) held in an Office Standards project.  I then call the details, as required, into a new project.  I also like to arrange my Project Browser by phase but when I bring my details views into the project they get assigned a phase labeled '???' when I would like to have then included in the phase where they belong but cannot find a way of doing this since the drafting views do not have the 'Phase'  item in their property listing?

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
CoreyDaun
in reply to: IMCornish

Not really anything you can do about that without using a Shared Parameter (assigned to Views) instead, which would defeat the automatic sorting of the Plan Views. For some resemblance of order, you can add a prefix to the Detail View's name which indicates the intended Phase.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 22
IMCornish
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks for the response Corey, I had thought that would be the response. I have sub-divided the details with a type description, as a shared parameter but they are still stuck in the '???' phase.
Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 4 of 22
CoreyDaun

If you are sorting your Views by a Parameter that does not exist or has a blank value in some Views, those Views will appear under a "???" heading. There is no way to escape this, so if you include the Phase as a sorting mechanism, you will have to live with the Drafting Views falling under "???". If you want to use a Project Parameter (Text) instead (removing the Phase Parameter from Sort), you will have to manually enter a value for this Parameter in all of your your Plan Views, too.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 22
SamuelAB

There's no reason for Drafting Views to not have Phasing as far as I understand. It is simply bad design and your are proposing extremely cumbersome workarounds that have no place in a BIM workflow. You may think this is fine on a small project, but it is innapropriate on a fully phased project and the fix seems extremely simple > add a Phase parameter to Drating Views.

Message 6 of 22
CoreyDaun
in reply to: SamuelAB

Indeed - that would be the ideal solution, but alas, that is up to the software developers to incorporate that into Revit; I can merely provide answers/solutions/work-arounds that are available to the end user. There might be a better way to do this using API, but I am not knowledgeable in that field. I would suggest using the link below, which is frequently provided by Autodesk Support Personnel here, to provide feedback about such issues.

Autodesk Product Support

The following link is setup for you to submit feature requests, or feedback, directly to our Development group:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Regarding the cumbersome work-arounds, they are unfortunately a necessary evil of Revit, especially on the MEP side. I would not recommend the Shared Parameter work-around, but I provided that to present the OP (or others) with an option in case that worked for him.

Message 7 of 22
IMCornish

As the originator of this post I am surprised that Autodesk does nothing about like issues raised in this forum, indeed they would go a long way to satisfying my criticism that annual Revit subscription update costs go nowhere near representing good value for the small update progress made each year.

However, this link is all that is availible, so I have followed it and expect that like all the other times I have used it nothing will be done and no response will be received.  Thanks anyway Corey.

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 8 of 22
arcitek

Sorry to drudge this up again but I wanted to confirm that if I want to order my views in the browser by phase, I have no choice but to live with those 3 question marks for Drafting Views.

I tried creating my own view organization and adding a parameter to change this but with no success.  

Thanks,

Kevin

Message 9 of 22
jamesbirkenshaw1
in reply to: arcitek

Hi there, 

I have had the same issue, surprised that nobody has found a solution for this. Even if it is just to rename from the ??? it would make it more understandable. 

Thanks 

James

Message 10 of 22
martijn_pater

You could create a project parameter "phase_sorting" ie. and have the project browser sort by this parameter. Also for drafting views. You could arrange your view templates to set the right values for this 'phase' parameter and/or set it manually. edit: actually you (still) can't set phase in templates, just the filter. So it's not possible to set this up properly through the templates I suppose. edit2: same solution already given above by @CoreyDaun I noticed just now, it is the only possibility I think.

so... adjust your workflow to the software, don't try it the other way around. Do suggest it on idea forum.

Message 11 of 22
ToanDN

Beating a very dead donkey but your request seems odd. A drafting detail can be referenced in multiple phases. A door jamb is the same whether the door is installed in phase 1 or phase 6.
Message 12 of 22
SamuelAB
in reply to: ToanDN

That is a reasonable point @ToanDN, but then I would ask to change the phasing from "???" to "Drafting View" or something similar. "???" is a bit jarring and implies an error.

Message 13 of 22
jamesbirkenshaw1
in reply to: ToanDN

Yes we are aware 🙂

More the point of an easy to use template for everyone in the company. It is not the easiest to find a drafting view, when it is labelled ???

Message 14 of 22
TimELZ49
in reply to: jamesbirkenshaw1

Just add a shared parameter by which you can sort out the views.  

Phasing.JPG

Message 15 of 22
SamuelAB
in reply to: TimELZ49

I sort my project browser by phase for quality control. Adding a parameter that mimics that phase defeats the whole purpose.

Message 16 of 22
TimELZ49

Sure, but as you see you cannot assign that to a drafting view, thus your query.  It's not difficult to check these however - in a schedule you can simultaneously apply the custom phase based on the phase.  Although I haven't tried, it may be possible to assign custom phase to a real phase in the schedule automatically, besides the drafting views which will be assigned manually.

Message 17 of 22
TimELZ49

Custom phase.JPG

Message 18 of 22
SamuelAB

It is not possible to assign a fake phase to a real phase in the Project Browser AFAIK.

I think this query is more appropriate as an Idea "to be fixed" rather than a discussion, since there is no satisfactory answer. I did not start the query, but experience the same issue.

The schedule solution is not appropriate. I don't want to have to do quality control over such a trivial thing many time a day, it should be fully automatic. For example, I manage a large project (one of many) with 20-some users across offices in the same model (joint partnership projects) who will often move a view to another phase in error and not put it back. I need to know immediately if the view is in the wrong phase. If I use phases, it will disappear from the list and this will highlight the error.

I also use naming standards to emphasize this. For example, a construction plan view on the 4rd floor in Phase 3 would be named "P3-C-PLAN-4" and a construction plan view on the 4rd floor in the existing Phase would be called "EX-C-PLAN-4". So if I see a EX view in my P4 phase views, I will know there is an error immediately and that users have been mucking around with the phasing instead of going to the proper view.

Herein lies the value of using phasing in the project browser for quality control. With the being said, "???" just leads to confusion. If only they changed the terminology I would be satisfied. If they allowed us to actually assign a phase or a universal phase to these drawings, I would be even more satisfied.

Message 19 of 22
martijn_pater

Would be useful to have phase available in the view template as I mentioned 5 or so posts earlier, having only phase filter kind of defeats the purpose anyway tbh since you usually don't want to set one without the other really... But if it would be available, you could unify the fields there which could solve (part of the) the sorting question.

edit: In reply to above. The ??? is just a non existent value for the phase parameter, so a 'universal phase' parameter doesn't do you much good if it's not the same one... So the suggested project (or shared) parameter above is actually precisely that...

Message 20 of 22

I would never use a phase in my view template.

Imagine a project where I have 30-50 view templates. If I have 5 phases, not I will have to manage 5 times more view templates. I always use the same view template for all phases. A demolition plan is always going to look the same no matter the phase and it`s less view templates to manage when there are changes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report