Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Callout for detail not associated with Revit Model

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
Mookie_Cornelius
12193 Views, 22 Replies

Callout for detail not associated with Revit Model

There are other people working on details that I need to do callouts for on my plans in Revit-how do I manually manipulate the callout tag without it being associated with anything?

Thanks

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Are the other people creating details working in the same Revit file? I'm assuming you’re setting up your sheets by placing dummy details, is this correct?  You could create a dummy tag, but that may lead to confusion down the road. E.G.. Real tag verses not real tag. Can you please provide additional information on the required end result?

Thank you, 

Message 3 of 23

There will be sheets done in Autocad that will be included with this set with details that I need to reference with callouts.  I know this isn't the ideal way to do it but I'm the only one who can use Revit and the detail sheets will be done by drafters who use Cad.

Message 4 of 23

How do I create a dummy callout tag?

Message 5 of 23

I would recommend the following:

1. Create the AutoCAD details with one per dwg (not 50 details on one dwg). However, you can start out with all on one dwg, but once you start linking them in Revit they should be one per dwg. Name them so you can cut and paste the name into the detail in Revit. This will make your life easier later.
  2. In Revit. Create Drafting views at the correct scale, etc. Import one dwg into each drafting view, name the drafting view on the way in.
  3. In your Revit project where you need to add a detail (Callout), click View – Callout, check the Reference other view, click the drop down arrow in <New Drafting View> and choose the drafting view you need, draw the callout. Keep in mind if you have the same detail in several different locations you can reference the same drafting view many times.

You can create all the drafting views and callout’s in Revit before you get anything from the CAD drafters. When you populate the drafting views (open drafting view, insert, cad link, browse to CAD detail, click open) and the CAD detail is imported into Revit, most of your work will be completed at this point. You may have a little clean up to do, but the bulk will be handled for you in Revit.

If you follow the above you will not need a dummy callout. Also, I have included my test file, if you are not familiar with any of the above you can practice in my file.  

Hope this help,

Message 6 of 23

Re-link my Revit file to the attached dwg.

Message 7 of 23

Well the problem is that they have already created sheets w/ multiple details on them-I've made placeholder sheets on my sheet list for the detail sheets they've made and insert those sheets w/ my set.  Like I said it might not be the ideal way to go about it (this is our office's first time to use Revit).  I really just need a dummy symbol that I can manipulate. 

Message 8 of 23

Just so I’m clear:

1. Your created sheet (this is fine and not a problem)
  2. When you say with multiple details on them, do you mean drafting views or something else?
  3. Place holder sheets are like #1 above and will show up in you sheet list view (again all good at this point)
  4. What do you mean by insert those sheets w/ my set. I was assuming you are working in the one Revit file. Do you have multiple files, one with the actual model and another for details? The latter will also work, but I want to be sure of your process.

It sounds like you are in good shape and you should still be able to follow the process I laid out in my last email.

1. Take you CAD detail (one at a time) and insert them into you drafting view (assuming thats what you have). Revit will take care of the rest.

I’ll be happy to help you create a dummy symbol, but I want to be sure you need it first!

Thank you,

Message 9 of 23

Hi I understand the logic you mentioned, but i cannot find where to "check the Reference other view". Can you point out that?

Thanks  

Message 10 of 23
alan.quinn
in reply to: mullin1735

See the attached image.

Thanks for posting.

Message 11 of 23
SDS200912
in reply to: alan.quinn

Hi

I've link a cad detail into drawing views and used them in call out and put them onto sheet fine BUT when my curser goes over the detail it shows a select box that is massive so when I import it I need to zoon extents to be able to see a the actual drawing tiny at the bottom.

How do I prevent this?

Many thanks,

Sylvia

Message 12 of 23
ToanDN
in reply to: SDS200912

Clean up your CAD drawing. Make sure there isn't anything placed at the far corner. It/they may be on a frozen/off layer.
Message 13 of 23

Place your callout annontation. It generates a new view for itself. Make a dummy sheet with the same sheet number as the ones that will be printed from autocad. Bingo, your callout reads the correct sheet reference.

Just don't print your dummy sheet, and instead add the autocad-sourced detail sheets into your set later.

Message 14 of 23
jagostinhoCT
in reply to: chrisplyler

Hello, not sure if this helps.

We have a different situation where we need to reference views from another linked Revit model.

In the process, we created a Dummy Callout Boundary and Dummy Tag to suffice.

Link to screencast provided.

Cheers

Joaquim

Assistant BIM/CAD Manager

Manchester, UK

Message 15 of 23

Joaquim

This is perfect! Would you be willing to share these families? or describe how you created them? I am also looking to create a similar marker for sections if you have any suggestions for that. 

Much appreciated. 

Shane

Message 16 of 23

Great workaround.

Thank you thank you thank you!

Message 17 of 23

Been using autocad for 28 years and revit for about 10. Revit is a loooonnngggg long way from being as productive as autocad given that it is very much less forgiving than autocad. The automation limits production as we spend too much time creating workarounds when we shouldn't have to. This simple feature in this thread should be built into the symbol library. Not everything can and should be linked to automation and there are alot of examples why call-outs should have a simple "non-linked" insertion capability. Revit is finicky, unforgiving and at least 5-10 years from where it should be. Sooner or later there will be a product from a rival that will have more robust object based technology with simple commands and far fewer bugs not to mention simpler to use!  Autodesk needs to fix these silly expensive bugs that cost our industry alot of lost time and therefor money because we sell time not the drawings!!

Common autodesk you've had years to fix this nonsense.

Incredibly frustrating.

Message 18 of 23

Thanks for the rant on a 13 year old thread that hasn't had any activity in 4 years 👍

Automation only limits production when you refuse to abandon outdated workflows. Update your libraries, customize your families and get your schedules setup and you'll be golden. Yes, Revit has issues. And sure, I'd like for Autodesk to get some real competition in the industry. But these posts about Revit being more trouble than its worth always provide a good chuckle.

But as was mentioned before, nothing is stopping you from making a family for "dumb" callouts. If you really insist on having to double check callout numbers before every check set and still inevitably have a mistake make it through. Go for it.

Message 19 of 23
mmcintosh-ral
in reply to: mhiserZFHXS

"Automation only limits production when you refuse to abandon outdated workflows. Update your libraries, customize your families and get your schedules setup and you'll be golden."

If only it were that simple.

Some of us work in companies where we are not allowed to use the software as intended, where we are not allowed to make industry standard updates to our libraries, schedules, and templates. 

It's hard enough figuring out how to make things work in this software, and then the hierarchical nature holds some of us back from even implementing what we finally figure out because the people in charge at our workplace want small sized templates and don't understand that not including custom content designed for the work we do (using revit tools and workarounds) would make our jobs more efficient and easier.

When I told our BIM manager that the updates I wanted to make to our template were to help my group be more efficient, he told me he didn't care if my group was more efficient. And the way the software is set up supports his decision. there is no workaround, other than finding another job. for right now i'm staying where i am.

I enjoyed the rant.

Message 20 of 23
ToanDN
in reply to: Derrick_PayneLUW37

There are no differences between a Revit annotation symbol with editable labels and an AutoCAD attribute block.  They are both dumb and they both work.  If you have no issue using one in AutoCAD then you should be able to use the other in Revit without a need to complain.  Next question?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report