Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculation of Void Volumes

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
IMCornish
2601 Views, 8 Replies

Calculation of Void Volumes

I am working a little 'off piste' currently as I am usually designing buildings, however, I have been asked to design a mould for the casting of an additional mass of lead to be appended to the existing lead in the keel of a yacht.

In order to complete this exercise the volume of the mould must accomodate between 26 and 30 litres of lead which is the volume of lead required to give the correct weight.

I have begun this task by creating a new Revit Family (may have been better to create it in a Project Environment) essentialy beeing a large extrusion, with a number of swept blend voids creating the mould cut out.  I have determined this using my clients instructions for the type of cross sectional profile, its profile along its length and the footprint.  Thing is I now have to work out what alterations are necessary in order to ensure that the mould volume is correct!!

See 3D View so far.....

Volumes.png

Any helpful ideas please.

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: IMCornish

What is the question?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 9
IMCornish
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Sorry Alfredo, I need to know how to calculate the volume of the cut out.  I have since imported the family into a project environment and can see that the properties of the imported family, when selected, give a volume.  So I may have stumbled on the solution?

Since the volume was too much I have started a new family and am trying to modify each of the series of 'swept blend voids' but am finding that some refuse to join the others and will not cut the solid so if you have any ideas why this should happen then I would be glad of any suggestions!

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 4 of 9
Alfredo_Medina

You need to work with mass.rft , or with an in-place mass in a project. Revit can schedule the volume of masses, but only for solids, not for voids.

So, you have 2 options:

• Option 1) model the voids as solids, and run a schedule of masses that includes the "gross volume" parameter
  • Option 2) Do as Archimedes did: if you know the volume of the initial bounding box, then, use the schedule to calculate the volume of the resulting solid part. Then subtract that resulting volume from the volume of the original box, and that's the volume of the void part.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 9
AJA14

Hi. Just an addition to what Alfredo said, you could try creating the two masses (one complete and one with the voids) but place them in two different phases. That way you can schedule both in the same project and get the resulting void volume. Good luck.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 6 of 9
IMCornish
in reply to: AJA14

I have found an easier way, which is to import the family into project and select it.  The object 'properties' listings then includes a Volume parameter for the resultant solid. By subtracting this from the Volume of a similar but uncut (no voids taken from it) family you get the volume of the voids.

Arising from this I would like to create a 'Volume' tag but cannot find the 'Volume' parameter in the label possibilities.  Any ideas how to solve this issue please?   

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 7 of 9
IMCornish

Alfredo, see my response to the second reply, adding to your comments.  You will see that I used the Archimedes principal without needing to resort to a schedule.

Be pleased if you could apply your knowledge to answering my further query regarding the tagging of a volume.

Thanks again. 

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 8 of 9
Alfredo_Medina

If the objects are masses, they can be tagged with the tag for masses, which can be edited to include a label for gross volume parameter.

Message 9 of 9
mc
Community Visitor

How can I add weight parameter (under dimension properties in instance). In family I can not see Volume parameter wchich I want tu use to calculate Weight. I need to see weight of the beam/column/wall in isnatces properties.

Any helpful Ideas please.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report