Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAD details on Revit Sheet

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
greggyt
754 Views, 4 Replies

CAD details on Revit Sheet

Hello all,

I am currently working on a project where people are creating details in autocad and modeling in revit. Is there anyway to link or import the CAD file and essentially clipped them so that we can move each detail about the sheet and then place the proper elevation note underneath? Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
loboarch
in reply to: greggyt

You can create drafting views and import the DWG file inot a drafting view. (one view per detail)  Then the drafting view can be placed on a sheet just like any other view.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 3 of 5
greggyt
in reply to: loboarch

But each each detail must be placed, meaning I must seperate every detail into its own DWG file. Is there anyway to accomplish this with just one DWG with all details in place? 

Message 4 of 5
CoreyDaun
in reply to: greggyt

Not really, because Drafting Views have no Crop Regions to adjust in order to exclude unwanted details.

I have accomplished this in the past, though, using another method:

1. Import/link the DWG file on the lowest Level of the building.
  2. Change the Base Offset to a negative value that would place it far below the building.
  3. Put it on a dedicated Workset (default off) OR on it's own Design Option to prevent it from show up in other Views inadvertently.
  4. Create a new Floor Plan and turn off all Model and Annotation Categories using the checkboxes at the top of V/G Overrides dialog.
  5. Set the View Range of this View to "unlimited" Bottom and View Depth.
  6. Create Dependent Views and adjust the Crop Region of each as desired.

Note that the suggestions in steps 2 and 3 may be redundant to a degree, and one does not necessarily have to take both steps.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 5

I am not very sure I understand you well, but if you want to have a dwg detail that you want to repeat it many times on your drawing, let's say it is a window jam detail in horizontal section.

• Create a New Family (let's say window) - you can also edit an existing one
  • In Project Browser > Floor Plan > Ref. Level ... go to Insert > Import CAD ....import the dwg detail and position it in the right place
  • Now make using Create > Extrusion ( or Sweep) the 3D profile of the window ( or you can use an existing one if edit an existing family file)
  • Select the 3d entity and from Mode >Visibility Settings > Family Element Visibility Settings .  Unchek: Plan/RCP and When cut in plan /RCP 
  • Now , select the inserted dwg and : Import Instance >Visibility Settings > Family element visibility settings , check Show only the instance is cut and Detail Levels>Fine  ( to appear only in a detailed view)
  • save the Family file to use it in your projects .....from Family Editor > Load into Project , in order to  load the newly created family into your open project..
  • Open the project file and insert the nee created window into a wall....see how it loks in level plans and other views
Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report