Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buttons in Print Dialog Box Don't Work

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
alespinoza
8842 Views, 26 Replies

Buttons in Print Dialog Box Don't Work

I searched the forums and did not find an answer to this problem.  I have a user who has trouble with the print dialog box.  The Preview, Setup and Browse buttons misteriously stop working.  This happens no matter which plotter is selected.  If she clicks on the OK button Revit appears to be plotting but in reality nothing happens.  She has a recent video driver, (5/2011).  She is the only one among seven other Revit users who has this problem.  Funny thing is that this problem has occured in the past and it somehow fixed itself after a few days.  Anyone else have this same problem?  Thanks in advance. 

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
alespinoza
in reply to: alespinoza

I forgot to mention, this is on Revit Architecture 2011 running on a Windows 7 64bit machine. 

Message 3 of 27
foutjm

we have this happening to random machines in one office. was there ever a solution found?

thanks,

John Fout

foutjm@kjww.com

Message 4 of 27
alespinoza

Hi there,

We never did find a solution to this.  It just worked again on its own and it hasn't happened since.  

Cheers. 

Message 5 of 27
foutjm

We found one setting under the xerox printer that we switched from Default settings to Revit Defaults...and it freed up all the other printers. [cid:image001.png@01CD7C69.69694790] John Fout Revit Fixer foutjm@kjww.com 623 26th Avenue | Rock Island, Illinois 61201 309.788.0673 | Direct: 309.793.3365 | Fax: 309.786.5967 | www.kjww.com[Description: Revit_Architecture_2011_Certified_Professional_RGB 20] This message and any attachments contain information intended for a specific party and may include sensitive or confidential material. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use, or disclose to others. Please notify the sender of the delivery error by reply and then permanently delete this message and all attachments.
Message 6 of 27
ptice

Has anyone found a solution to this? Ive been having the exact same problem for the past couple days. Its affecting my Revit 2016 and 2017, but not any AutoCad editions. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Message 7 of 27
ptice
in reply to: ptice

nevermind. I switched my default printer and it seems to be working now...

Message 8 of 27
ssmetz

I am still having this issue - only the radio toggles and one or two buttons work. I can't select sheets, preview, change any settings, or browse to file location. I've tried selecting this as the default printer, but it doesn't help. So Frustrating! Anyone else figure this out?

Message 9 of 27
mmiller
in reply to: ssmetz

This is a strange bug, I'm having this same problem. As I was writing this post, I realized the issue occurs only when i "control P" to print. If I go to the big "R" menu in the upper right corner and select print from there, the print dialogue operates as expected. So it's something with the keyboard shortcut.

Revit version.PNG

Message 10 of 27
khattel

Did you ever solve the problem?

Message 11 of 27
mmiller
in reply to: khattel

Yes, the solution is to use the workaround - don't use control P,  navigate to the print dialog through the dropdown menu in the upper right hand corner.  

Message 12 of 27
khattel
in reply to: mmiller

I'm currently trying the dropdown menu, from this:

skitse1.PNG

But I still can't seem to use any of these buttons:

skitse2.PNG

Tags (1)
Message 13 of 27
ssmetz

Using the drop down menu didn't help me, either. I finally installed cute pdf writer, and somehow after using it a couple of times, it freed up the Microsoft one. It still occasionally happens, but if I threaten to use cute pdf, it solves it every time.

Hope this helps you!

Sent from my iPhone
Message 14 of 27
khattel

Unfortunately nothing has halped this far. But I appreciate everyone's help. I found a bypass to opten the setup window for the printer and get my REVIT drawings in the right scale by printing one sheet at a time.
Message 15 of 27
teodorc

Hi guys, I had the same problem. Seams that it comes after you use Microsoft Print to PDF printer. I have removed it and use Adobe PDF and no more issue. Hope it helped. Teo
Message 16 of 27
ssmetz
in reply to: teodorc

Using the drop down didn't work for me. I finally installed Cute PDF writer, and somehow it seemed to resolve the Microsoft to PDF issue. It still occasionally happens - with both Microsoft and Cute, but if I go through the process of printing, despite not being able to select sheets, preview, or select any settings, the next time I open the print window (whether by drop down or ctrl P), IT WORKS!!  It's as if I'm saying "F-you, Revit! I'm printing without selecting sheet sizes or preview! You will not defeat me!", and then it acquiesces, and lets me print.

Really annoying process, but I hope this helps some of you!

Message 17 of 27
Zaccc01

This solved the issue for me as well. Just keep spamming print until it lets you access the menus
Message 18 of 27
BIM.Consultant
in reply to: Zaccc01

If you are printing multiple sheets or views to PDF, this problem will occur. Revit will display a popup to save the first print location. While you are choosing the location, Revit will attempt to open a new popup for next print location, but this attempt will fail if you still have first popup opened and then Revit will consider the printer to be unavailable.

This problem won't happen if you are printing to real paper printer. So the solution is to handle the PDF creation outside Revit. Meaning that I don't want Revit to ask me where to save each file. We can use any pdf printer such as bullzip or cutepdf; so that these software will take all prints commands from Revit and then save our PDF files.

I hope this clarifies the issue. I also went fast through the posts in this topic, so I'm not quite sure if this is the problem you guys are discussing.
Message 19 of 27
lperezmestre

So, this happens after using Microsoft print to PDF. As said in one of the comments before, open the print dialog box, change to another printer and without setting up anything, just hit print. After, you will be able to open the print dialog again and all the setup options will be responsive.

Hope it helps!

Message 20 of 27
eric.solera
in reply to: lperezmestre

SOLUTION:
Hello friends:
I had the same problem using Revit 2017.
I am a Mechanical Engineer and I use AutoCAD 2017, Inventor 2017 and Revit 2017 a lot and I started to have this problem with Revit only. My default printer was set to Microsoft PDF and even changing the problem was not fixed.
The problem is a Windows Option (Windows 10 Pro in my case) in device-printer management that is probably allowing Windows to manage the default printer, always setting the last printer used as default. Turn this option OFF and everything will return to normal.
In my Revit it worked and now I can use any printer that all the buttons work.
Any questions please contact us.
greetings
Eric Solera

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report