Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building pad hides elements

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
mbuonocore
3896 Views, 12 Replies

Building pad hides elements

I created a building pad to cut the ground through my finished basement.  In my section views, the building pad is covering my other model elements such as doors, walls, furniture, etc that I have in my basement which I want to see.  Thank you.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: mbuonocore

Maybe the pad is too thick? Select the pad > Edit type (or Type properties) > Structure > Edit : check the thickness.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

Have you changed the pad level to your basement level?

Message 4 of 13
alan.quinn

I would first make sure your pad is on the correct level and it’s the correct thickness. If it’s still blocking content you can right click on the pad and choose Hide in View – Elements. The pad will be hidden and you should be able to see everything.

Thank you,

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

Alan:

I have a question about pads that comes up whenever I use them:

Are they intended to just be used as a cutting element, and then hidden, as you suggest? Or do people give them thickness and then use them to represent something, like a soil layer or slab, etc?

In general, there's more than one way to do things, but what is the ideal/intended function or use of a pad?

bt

Message 6 of 13
alan.quinn
in reply to: Anonymous

As you pointed out many tools in Revit can be used in many ways. That said I typically use Pads to denote how topo (grade) interacts with my buildings. A building may have multiple levels below grade that can be full basement, partial basement or crawl spaces. You may also have retaining walls that interact with the topo (grade) at different elevations. Pads allow you to show all these differences in a precise and defined way. You can have many pads in the one drawing depending on needs/requirements.

When you have a moment please review the material in the below link:

http://docs.autodesk.com/REVIT/2011/ENU/filesUsersGuide/WS46b90c3cb2c58cad535b58fc7fa5f227-7ff0.htm

Let us know if this helps.

Thank you,

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: alan.quinn

Alan:

Do you tend to hide them, or do you also use them to represent site or building elements? I just go back and forth on that...

bt

Message 8 of 13
THANHTRUNGTRUONG3295

I want to ask a question about pad too, when I use spot elevation tool to add a elevation synbol in plan(leve +0.00m) have this pad (pad thik 200mm) , it show -0.200m what must I do to display +0.00?

Message 9 of 13
mbuonocore

Thanks for all the input.  I was placing it the first floor level instead of the basement.

Message 10 of 13
alan.quinn

BT,

Typically I hide Pads as I do not use them to represent building elements. That's not to say one can't use them in a different manner. Like me, if you find a way that works well for you I'd say stick with it. At least for me, consistency in my drawing sets is very important. This is achieved by finding goods ways to convey information with the tool available. 

Hope this helps and thank you, 

Message 11 of 13
loboarch

bt1138 wrote:

Alan:

Do you tend to hide them, or do you also use them to represent site or building elements? I just go back and forth on that...

bt

I am not Alan but I have an opinion on pads.  I usually end up hiding them.  I use them to cut the toposurface so my building will fit in context and then end up using a floor.  There are a couple of reason I end up doing this.

1. You can't apply a slab edge style to a pad object.  This may or may not be important depending on the building condition.  it just seems like the things I work on I end up needing a slab edge.
  2. If memory serves me correctly a pad object can't be "room bounding", so if you are doing volume calculations for mechanical spaces or for energy analysis you could intorduce errors.  In the case of energy anaylsis it may cause the entire energy model to be compromised.

I wish pads were more versitile because it seems like a big pain to have to place the same basci object 2x.  Plus you have a chance of intorducing erors like this. 

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 12 of 13

I assuming you have the Pad at the correct elevation, example: Pad created on Level 1 and the Pad thickness is 200mm. The default setting on the Spot Elevation tool is Actual (Selected) Elevation. If you place a Stop Elevation Tag on the above Pad it should read 0’-00” (or whatever elevation Level 1 actually is in your drawing). If this is not the case you will need to check the Properties of the Spot Elevation Tag.

Do the following: 

Highlight the Spot Elevation Tag.

Look in the Properties Box for Display Elevations (under Text), and note what it currently says.

Click the text to the right of Display Elevations and you will get a drop down menu.

Choose the option that suit you needs.

Click Apply.

I hope this helps, but let us know if you need more information.

Thank you,

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: loboarch

Thanks for the replies.

I have also ended up hiding them, most of the time. But since pads can be given a material and thickness, I keep thinking I must be missing something - that there might be a different way to work with them...

bt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report