Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brick Soldier Course over arch-top french door in stone wall

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
gdfisher
9517 Views, 5 Replies

Brick Soldier Course over arch-top french door in stone wall

Has anyone found a successful method to add a brick soldier course over an arch-top door in a stone wall? I'd like the brick type and quantity to show up in the materials list. I'm a student using a complimentary copy of Revit Architecture 2011.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rosskirby
in reply to: gdfisher

Quantity of brick in an arch seems like overkill to me, but to each his own.

Make a generic model of a brick, load it into your door family, place it, constrain it, array it as required.  Set up parameters to control the spacing, array distance and radius, and tie them to the size and radius of your door.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 6
gdfisher
in reply to: rosskirby

Thanks for taking the time to post your suggestion. Re. Soldier course quantity, project ios a large residence with every wall penetration framed with brick - top, sides and bottom - not an inconsequential amount for costing. Thanks again.

Message 4 of 6
rosskirby

I was assuming that the rest of the building was brick as well, in which case the number of bricks in an arch is relatively inconsequential.  I would suggest using a solid extrusion to represent the shape of the arch, use an array of model lines to represent the mortar joints, and apply a material placeholder in the family.  Then, in the project, assign that arch the same material as you use for the rest of the brick, then do a simple quantity takeoff schedule.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 6
ccollins

You could use a formula and a calculated value to figure out how many bricks are in the soldier courses if necessary.

In theory,

If you wanted to take it quite literally, you could model an actual brick, create a radial array, then Group it.

Give the Bricks a special unique Material--such as Brick-Soldier

Copy the Group around as required. Then generate a Material Takeoff, and it will quantify how many bricks you have.

Or perhaps at least how many SQ FT of the material you have, then use a formula to dtermine how many bricks.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 6 of 6
Greenhatchgroup

Try the family on this site http://essentialbim.com/product/brick-arch/,

We purchased it and it worked great, I spent ages trying to figure out how to get the bricks to nest properly and work, yet failed everytime, in the end the £3 I spent on this family was well worth it and saved me a lot more effort.

Basically it does as suggested above, an array of bricks around an arch, there arre lots of good calculations to allow you to flex the overall width, arch height and number of bricks, just share the parameters for takeoffs etc.

Hope this helps

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report