Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Break a Grid Line

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
10614 Views, 13 Replies

Break a Grid Line

Is there a way to break grid lines like section so that the grid lines don,t run through my floor plans?
Otherwise I ma forced to draft in the other end.....a little time consuming!!!!!!
Thank you for your time!!!!
Audrey
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

No way to break a grid line. Sorry 😞

--
Jeff Hanson
Autodesk - Technical Publications
Building Solutions Division
Manchester, NH

wrote in message news:5500154@discussion.autodesk.com...
Is there a way to break grid lines like section so that the grid lines don,t
run through my floor plans?
Otherwise I ma forced to draft in the other end.....a little time
consuming!!!!!!
Thank you for your time!!!!
Audrey
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

Jeff Hanson (Autodesk) wrote:
> No way to break a grid line. Sorry 😞
>
Wishlist for 2009
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

You know you can turn on the head at both ends right?
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Yes, i know. If I turn the grid heads on both ends the grid line is still running through the floor plan. I wish there was a command like the sections do where you can break the grid line in half and still have both heads turned on.
Thanks anyway,
Message 6 of 14
RDAOU

Old post BUT for whoever searchs the Forum:

Introduced in Revit 2013 I believe; user has the Option to control the Center Segment of grid lines making them not visibile (sort of)

1. Select Grid
  2. Edit Type
  3. Set "Center Segment" to Custom
  4. Set "Center Segment" Color to White
  5. Click Apply >> OK and the grid should not be visibile cutting through floor Plans/Sections/Elevations

NOT APPLICABLE TO CIRCULAR GRIDS...SO FAR

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 7 of 14
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: RDAOU

I would not mark this as the solution. If the setting for the middle segment is "custom" and the color of the segment is "white" this is going to make the middle segment be invisible only for Revit users who are using a white background color for the screen. If the background is gray, the middle segment will be there, in white. But even if the background is white, when you export to other formats, such as CAD, the middle segment will be there. The correct setting to break the grid is "none". It will simply leave that portion empty, and it will stay that way regardless of the background of the screen.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 8 of 14
RDAOU
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Depends on ones perception of breaking (grafic of functional)...We export almost all our models to DWG and the Major issue with CAD Export of grids with Center Segment set to "None" breaks the line into 2 when in most cases we rather keep it as one single line in CAD Format .. Hence, the Option "None" is never used overhere

Maybe on your side of the world it is recommended otherwise 🙂

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

I don't think this is to do with what side of the world you work at, Alfredo's is the right answer for what I believe is the original question, how to get rid of a grid line's center segment. Turning it white, as was said before, will only work for a display, and providing it has a white background. So, if we reduce the answer to the original question, Alfredo provided the best practice solution, as indeed "none" isn't there as an option for the sake of it. Then of course there will be people interested in exporting the complete grid line into Autocad, but that is a particular preference. This is a world wide used software and I don't believe this forum is for USA users alone.

However, again, Alfredo's is the right answer, from an objective stand point, since the original question didn't involve particular preferences on how to export to AutoCad, for which indeed, there's other options that we don't have to consider as "standard" practice.

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks Alfredo, indeed your answer should have been marked as the best solution, at least that's my opinion.

Message 11 of 14
Stevearchman

Instea of slecting White in under the custom settings select none.  Then center portion will be removed and you can adjust the length of the grid lines on both sides with the blue dots.

Message 12 of 14
christophJYCQU

DOES NOT WORK, LEAVES A WHITE LINE OBSCURING LINEWORK

Message 13 of 14

Hi, is this what you are trying to achieve? In line with RDAOU's solution;

1. Select Grid
  2. Edit Type
  3. Set "Center Segment" to None
  4. Click Apply >> OK . You should be able to control small blue grips and adjust to your preference.

Breaking Grid Lines.JPG

Tags (1)
Message 14 of 14

Just utilized, worked perfect! thank you! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report