Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bind an image to a revit dwg export

43 REPLIES 43
SOLVED
Message 1 of 44
allarkin14
15686 Views, 43 Replies

Bind an image to a revit dwg export

I have a complete CD set to export from Revit to DWGs and aside from the complete lack of customization needed for correct NCS layer mapping, my current issue is the company logos on the title blocks exporting as separate files. I am in Revit 2013. I saw another thread with someone saying 2013 has resolved this issue, but I am finding this to be not true. Guidance Please??

43 REPLIES 43
Message 2 of 44
LisaDrago
in reply to: allarkin14

Have you tried turning off the Export views on sheets and links as external references?

Image attached for reference.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 44
allarkin14
in reply to: LisaDrago

Yes I did try exporting with the box check and without the box checked. Both resulted in the logos exporting as separate files. Any other suggestions are welcome.

AH

Message 4 of 44
alan.quinn

Can you upload a sheet with the logo and I'll take a look at it?

Message 5 of 44
allarkin14
in reply to: alan.quinn

Here is a 2013 dwg exported from Revit 2013 with the logo file that is exporting as an external reference. My "export views etc as external reference box was unchecked.

As part of our contract, our client is requesting any additional files such as logos to be bound to the dwgs and not be references. I need to accomplish this directly from exporting in Revit.

Message 6 of 44
LisaDrago

If the logo is that simple (please do not take that the wrong way) it would probably be best to recreate it in revit.

Do you  have an AutoCAD file of the image?

You can link that to your Revit titleblock and recreate it using Revit lines.

I have recreated it in revit for reference. In the family file you can see the original logo you posted and the one I created from filled regions.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
Message 7 of 44
allarkin14

@LD - The logo is not that simple. I have multiple jpeg logos that belong to other firms that are on the title block. That is a sample Revit 2013 title block that I exported with a sample logo jpeg on it. I cannot upload content that belongs to our clients.

Message 8 of 44
LisaDrago

I totally understand that and would not expect that...

I would assume they have cad titleblocks... Is the logo just a jpeg in those files?

I would try to use their content - or if I had to recreate the logo. Not much fun but it would guarantee it would work as you want it to.

As of right now I do not see a way of making a jpeg a part of the file when exporting.

I am hoping someone else may have a different thought.

LD

Message 9 of 44
alan.quinn

I agree, try to find jpegs that you can use. In the past I have reach out directly to firms and ask them for logos, letterheads, etc to help in the creating of titleblock. I think you will find take most people are more than happy to helps when they find out what you are doing. The odd one will not and in those case I simply went to their website and either downloaded images or did screen shots. 

Hope this helps and thanks for posting.

Message 10 of 44
allarkin14
in reply to: alan.quinn

AQ -

Your post does not really address the issue I am having. I guess I can assume from everyone's input that Revit is NOT capable of exporting dwg's with jpegs bound to the file, and not as an xref.

Thanks for the suggestions, all.

Message 11 of 44
LisaDrago

I would have to give an affirmative - that Revit will not bind a jpg to the exported file, but will make it an xreferenced item.

Maybe something to put in the wishlist of Revit for future version.

LD

Message 12 of 44
Anonymous

Any Update on it?

Message 13 of 44
loboarch
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Any Update on it?

There has been no change to the behavior in Revit since the original post.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 14 of 44
tckeyser2014
in reply to: loboarch

I would like to see an answer to this problem as well. It is not just a problem with titleblock logos. It is any image file linked to Revit. The logos get exported numerous times, each with a unique name, that also includes the user's name and a handle id. Cut sheets that are linked into Revit also get exported as individual files, that includes  the users name and a handle id. These file names are ridiculously long.

Message 15 of 44
ToanDN
in reply to: tckeyser2014

Open the central detached before you export to DWGs.
Message 16 of 44
Corsten.Au

Hello

First of all, Images coming as Link ( external reference / location ) is the main issue of CAD...

thats how AutoCAD file works..

Revit is doing its job while exporting it and creates all the necessary files to show the original content..

Secondly, the correct way to send CAD file to external consultant which inlclued

1. Linked CAD

2. Correct Hatch pattern

3. IMAGES etc is to 

USE " eTransmit"

etransmit.JPG

I agree that theres one more step to create and send this file but you can create this "etransmit "in one go for several CAD files..

etransmit detail.JPG

Corsten
Building Designer
Message 17 of 44
N.Spriegel
in reply to: Corsten.Au

Unless etransmit binds in the image files into the associated CAD files, and then you can extract the bound CAD files later, it is not a real solution. Many clients (such as some government agencies) have specific requirements and processes for files. So Autodesk please look into this?

Message 18 of 44
alaafarhat

Guys i would care to add some issue i am facing

i have inserted images to REVIT 2019 as in the Legend & General notes DWG by adding those images as a paramater to each and every family i am using in the project,

but the problem that occurs if some families and after exporting the Legend & general notes Dwg , some families show their images and the others don't , as if there is a difference between each image , yet i have done it all on paint software (Microsoft) , and used the same steps for all the families ,

and if someone have any way to also bind these images , it will be helpful , yet my main problem is why some images are exported and others aren't ,

Thanks for the help

Message 19 of 44
Corsten.Au
in reply to: alaafarhat

Check which image types are working and then have consistency in image type

for example 

jpg

jpeg

gif

png

btimap

Test.

so whatever works just use that.

Corsten
Building Designer
Message 20 of 44
alaafarhat
in reply to: Corsten.Au

Thanks for the reply ,

all the images i am using are with the same type .jpg

so , some images are exported in CAD file and others are not exported

i don't know what might be the problem ,

BTW , we have a template file that we start our Models with ,

If i do the export from the template file all images are shown ,

YET when i work on a project and export from the project the problem occurs.....

what do you think..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report