Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to sketch a new component in Revit Architecture?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
adave
303 Views, 2 Replies

Best way to sketch a new component in Revit Architecture?

Lets say I wish to create a bracket to use on a roof (in this case, to attach a solar panel to the roof).   Do I create a new project (ie, "solar panel bracket"), save it, then import it.   OR  Do I create it within my building project under an existing "family", by copying an existing component, and renaming/modifying it somehow?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: adave

The two options that you have mentioned, are in other words, these two alternatives, in the same order:

1) Create a new family, in the family editor.

2) Create an in-place solid.

The most recommended option is the first one, because:

• You can reuse the component, since it will be saved separately as a .rfa file, in a folder in your library.
  • It is easier to model something in the family editor, without having a project all around the object.
  • In the family editor, you can create reference lines, which are not available in the project environment.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 3
adave
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report