Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Way to Model An Existing Building?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
runamok
6439 Views, 9 Replies

Best Way to Model An Existing Building?

Hello there,

I'm totally new to this Revit modelling so please bear with me.

I have to model an existing building to include some refurbishment elements and an extension.

I can model the extention easily but am struggling with the refurbishment part. At the moment I have attached the 2D cad survey (no point cloud survey I'm afraid) and added my refurbishment elements in Revit so they are 3D. Is this good practice? There is no time available to model the building in 3D from the existing 2D Cad data.

Any ideas guys? I probably spend 50% of my time working on existing buildings with often 2D surveys so I would appreciate any thoughts or comments if I've taken a wrong turn somewhere.

Cheers

Andy

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
LisaDrago
in reply to: runamok

Off hand - I think you are working just fine.

If you don't have time to redo the entire existing building in 3D - stick with doing the referb portion in revit and using the 2d cad imported in.

If they want all of the building in 3d - then you can add that to the timeline and cost.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 10
Jason_S

I agree with Lisa on how you are handling it now.

We do the same thing here.  Link or Import CAD files into Revit and only draw 3D items close to the addition or remod area.

I also have placed room separation lines over the cad file so I can get room tags in Revit to look the same.

Message 4 of 10
runamok
in reply to: LisaDrago

Hi LD,

Thanks for this! It's good to know I'm going in the right direction.

Andy

Message 5 of 10
Gaz94

Hi,

I understand you import the 2d Cad plans into Revit and then model the new, however when it comes to sections that show both new and existing how would you go about this?

Thanks

Message 6 of 10
ED_Consulting
in reply to: Gaz94

If you have 2D cad sections & elevs, import these into your appropriate section or elevations view with the CURRENT VIEW only option toggled at the select import file dialog. Once the file is visible in the view, move it to correct location. Simple.

Otherwise you will have to model the existing building if the info isn't available. Why not just use a simple mass model to replicate it.

Message 7 of 10
Gaz94
in reply to: ED_Consulting

Thanks for the response. I guess using a simple mass model is an easy solution!

Message 8 of 10
ED_Consulting

If you can get away with modelling it in very basic form too right. Takes seconds.

Message 9 of 10
Gaz94
in reply to: ED_Consulting

I was also wondering the best way to go about adding detail elements such as wall plates and joist hangers to my sections? Sorry I am very new to Revit!

Message 10 of 10
LisaDrago

nothing to be sorry about, we all had to start somewhere. We are here to help!

There are detail components prebuilt that you can use in the library. They are 2d elements that can be placed in a section or elevation. 

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report