Revit Architecture

runamok
Message 1 of 4 (954 Views)
Accepted Solution

Best Way to Model An Existing Building?

954 Views, 3 Replies
09-16-2012 11:25 PM

Hello there,

I'm totally new to this Revit modelling so please bear with me.

I have to model an existing building to include some refurbishment elements and an extension.

I can model the extention easily but am struggling with the refurbishment part. At the moment I have attached the 2D cad survey (no point cloud survey I'm afraid) and added my refurbishment elements in Revit so they are 3D. Is this good practice? There is no time available to model the building in 3D from the existing 2D Cad data.

Any ideas guys? I probably spend 50% of my time working on existing buildings with often 2D surveys so I would appreciate any thoughts or comments if I've taken a wrong turn somewhere.

Cheers

Andy

Off hand - I think you are working just fine.

If you don't have time to redo the entire existing building in 3D - stick with doing the referb portion in revit and using the 2d cad imported in.

If they want all of the building in 3d - then you can add that to the timeline and cost.

LD

*Expert Elite*
LisaDrago
Message 2 of 4 (914 Views)

Re: Best Way to Model An Existing Building?

09-25-2012 08:31 AM in reply to: runamok

Off hand - I think you are working just fine.

If you don't have time to redo the entire existing building in 3D - stick with doing the referb portion in revit and using the 2d cad imported in.

If they want all of the building in 3d - then you can add that to the timeline and cost.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Distinguished Mentor
Caddman13
Message 3 of 4 (880 Views)

09-26-2012 02:19 PM in reply to: runamok

I agree with Lisa on how you are handling it now.

We do the same thing here.  Link or Import CAD files into Revit and only draw 3D items close to the addition or remod area.

I also have placed room separation lines over the cad file so I can get room tags in Revit to look the same.

runamok
Message 4 of 4 (827 Views)

10-15-2012 05:26 AM in reply to: LisaDrago

Hi LD,

Thanks for this! It's good to know I'm going in the right direction.

Andy

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.