Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best PDF creator for Revit?

46 REPLIES 46
SOLVED
Message 1 of 47
octavio2
81784 Views, 46 Replies

Best PDF creator for Revit?

Revisiting a previous questions that I made sometime ago about PDF creation from Revit, in which some correspondents recommended either PDF 995 and others Cute PDF, I wonder which one has been found to work better with the current version of Revit 2012.  Some time has passed, so I wonder if there is a preference now.

Has a better PDF creator been created for Revit since then? 

Also, how come that Revit being a marketing tool most of all, Autodesk has left out a native PDF creator from the program up to this point? Any chances that it might be included in the next version?

Thanks in advance.

46 REPLIES 46
Message 41 of 47
sonicer
in reply to: datingD228G

You can print PDF to correct paper size with PF Printer PDF

Work only with PDFCreator and all done automaticaly.

Select sheets(many different standard or custom size sheet sizes) and click print PDF.

Message 42 of 47
luis110489
in reply to: rosskirby

PDFcreator works for me,thanks! 

Message 43 of 47
spitfire-s
in reply to: luis110489

I suppose a PDF creator for Revit is not a PDF driver, it is a plugin that prints views and sheets into a PDF like the original in best quality and in the least amount of time, using the office / national standards. 

From our experience Docuflow that is on the Autodesk App Store is the software that suits our workflow here in Norway. Our process requires that we export the latest project revision into PDF and DWG, and the revised drawing list. Typically in a medium size project we deliver drawings every day to the building site, so in the course of a project we issue drawings about 300-700 times. So what Docuflow makes is allows us to quick select the latest revised sheets, and generate all the documents regardless of their size and orientation in a single operation. We don not have any manual operation and we never need to touch the Revit Print dialog again - all comes perfect. For presentations we merge all sheets in all sizes and orientations into a single PDF file - much faster than any other software we tested. Mind that a few plugins do not even handle multiple orientations or automatically creation of PDF paper sizes to match the Revit sheets.

We have about 50 architects using it daily and we do not intend to go back to other software. We have also some projects for several Norwegian agencies, including aviation, education and hospitals that require very complex filenames for each sheet, and using the advanced filename we can combine sheet numbers, dates, revisions and Revit parameters into dynamically generated filenames. That is configurable for each project, and easily reusable. So for these advanced features that go further that the Revit Print dialog and simple plugins for PDF packages, I think Docuflow and similar are the way to go for demanding projects.

Message 44 of 47
cprice
in reply to: spitfire-s

Interesting, but Docuflow seems to have largely copied tools that's been around much longer.  Xrev Transmit (and other software) can do all of that and most are cheaper with more developed user interfaces and much more features...

If you are looking for an App, do your research...

• Are there additional costs - IE: Purchasing a commercial use enabled PDF Printer, or Report tool for Document Register/Transmittals.  FYI, Bullzip is not allowed for commercial use.
  • Is it user friendly?
  • Is it setup for easy deployment and configuration across your organisation?

I hate to see people spend more for less features...

Message 45 of 47
spitfire-s
in reply to: cprice

What other software you are talking about that is around much longer and are cheaper and with much more features? Can you list a few alternatives?

Message 46 of 47
cprice
in reply to: spitfire-s

They've already been mentioned in this thread by others...  The two most comprehensive are developed by Xrev and the other by RTV Tools.  Both have been around over 7 years and are used by thousands of Revit users all of the world.

Xrev Transmit

- Includes a commercial license for a high quality PDF Printer (no extra cost)

- Includes a transmittal/document register tool. (no extra cost)

- Does automatic paper size detection (PDF, Hard Copy, DWF/x)

- Has more powerful naming rules than the software software you mentioned.

- Can automatically file documents, and perform advanced post processing functionality.

- Handles more file formats including hard copies and multiple versions of the same formats with different settings if needed.  IE: 50% reduction set...

- Easy to deploy throughout an organisation and standardize and lock down company standards.

- Super easy wizard style interface making it almost impossible for an inexperienced user to do it wrong

- Has a free trial and subscription renewal cost is less...

- Has a major new release coming soon with a tonne of exciting new features.

RTV Drawing Manager, Xporter Pro & Xporter

- 3 separate products with varying levels of functionality and cost

- currently handles the most formats - ie: if its exportable from Revit these software's can handle it

- workflows are similar to the software you mentioned, although RTV did it first and this other company looks to have copied a lot of other developers work using a very basic UI.

- doesn't include a PDF Printer but works with a number of common PDF printers

- Has a free trial and the lightest version of the software is far cheaper than the software you mentioned.

There are also a number of other products on the market, but they don't have comparable functionality and are typically over priced for their limited functionality.

Obviously I work at Xrev and I'm biased towards our products, so trial them all yourself and make your own mind up as to what's most suitable for you.

Message 47 of 47
Lars_Jeppesen
in reply to: cprice

I can certainly vouch for Xrev Transmit - have been using it since 2011 and would highly recommend it, from both a cost as well as functionality perspective.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report