Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bell curved roofs

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
MShelp19
2803 Views, 7 Replies

Bell curved roofs

Hello all,

I work at a company that does custom homes and renovations and I am attempting to swich us over from cad to revit.

The problem I am having is that pretty much all our roofs are bell curved. So far i have made them using sweeps but that is causing issues with the apearence of the roof plan and I cant just mask it because you cant rotate fill paterns.

So, my question is does anyone knnow how a better way to create the bell curves so that they will show properly in plan?

The iages attached are of a project where i am having this issue

TTanks in advance,

Matt 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

All three methods ( Roof by Face, Roof by Extrusion and Roof by Footprint) are possible , but my prefered one in this case is Roof by Face, because it will not create problems when you have to apply materials for rendering...

• Roof by Face : Make an In Place Mass  and build a mass using Solid Form and Void Form , use Join till you obtain the desired form. Then once in Project apply Roof by Face ...as can be seen in my screencast:

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/bef80366-1a22-460e-9db8-d8d74a1c564c

You can combine Roof by Face with Roof by Footprint or Roof by Extrusion.....

Image 1.png

and the rendering:

Image 1b.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 8

Thanks, I'll give it a try when i get a chance.

I just realized now that the hatch didn't show up in my pictures

Thanks again,

Matt

Message 4 of 8

Hi Constantino, I would do another approach by doing two roofs, the first with a cutoff and the second with a different slope on top, and later I will make a Sweep around the intersection line of the roofs with a round profile to form the curved side of the roof. See the attached image.

Thanks, alex

Message 5 of 8
MShelp19
in reply to: alex60

Alex60,

This is what I did originaly but there is always a line where the sweep and the roof join and also, the direction of the hatch for 2D printing faces the same direction for all sides of the sweep.

See attached

Message 6 of 8

Hi Alex

I ,also, took in consideration this methood as one that can be used, as I've mentioned in my previous post . The problem could be  with maping....

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
alex60
in reply to: MShelp19

Hi all, in order to delete the lines you have to be very careful doing the transition curve perfectly tangencial, otherwise, you will find the intersection line, but with the linework command is easy to make invisible those lines. The hatch must be modeling in order to move or align with the other hatch in the roof. See the attached image.

Thanks, Alex

Message 8 of 8
MShelp19
in reply to: alex60

I managed to get rid of the line but the hatch is still going the wrong direction. 

Constantin's solution of using roof by face worked however.

Alex, I'm sure your solution works at least sometimes, it clearly worked for you, and would be faster than having to create a Mass first if it would only cooperate.

So thanks to both of you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report