Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Becoming a 2011 Revit Certified Professional

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
hankspielberg
7003 Views, 9 Replies

Becoming a 2011 Revit Certified Professional

Hi,

If anyone out there has become a certified professional' pleas tell me a little about the process/cost and the level of difficulty.  How long did you work with Revit before taking the plunge?  About how many hours were involved with the actual certification program?...and if possible please roughly describe what you have to know.

Appreciate it,

Hank

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

I have the 2011 professional certification.  You begin at http://autodesk.starttest.com/  ; find an ATC close to you. First, you need to pay and apply for the Associate exam. The cost was $75 when I took it. This is a multiple choice type of exam. I guess the passing score is 83%. The level of difficulty always depends on your experience and previous training. If you have seen all the topics of a basic to intermediate course, or you have the equivalent experience, you will pass. If you have been working on some specific portion of Revit, only, and not the others, you might find it difficult.

Your assistant at the ATC will let you know immediately if you passed or failed. If you passed, you can apply for the Professional Certification, after paying some $125. This one is not multiple choice but a hands-on type of exam, with problems to solve, such as resolving a roof, a stair, etc. It is interesting, actually. I found this one more difficult than the first one. You need to read the questions very carefully.

After you pass, your assistant at the ATC will show you how you can download your logos and certificates, and now you can use that in your signature, your resumes, etc., and your name will be included in the public database, which is at http://autodesk.starttest.com

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 10

Thanks Alfredo,

I'll give it a shot (hopefully at the right time) after I've convinced myself that I'll pass. (typical over-achiever's answer)

Hank

Message 4 of 10
jfiorello
in reply to: hankspielberg

Is there a place to get a Revit Structure Certification?

Message 5 of 10

There isn't one for Revit Structure.  If you use RS, you'll find questions relating to rooms, ceilings etc. quite difficult.

Message 6 of 10
rkitect28

Hank,

If you take the exam at Autodesk University, it is free. I believe you may take the exam up to three times if you fail. I took the exams this year at AU with about an hour of review. I have been using Revit daily for about 2.5 years, but had been using it on and off since version 8.0. I actually thought the Professional exam was easier than the Associate, but that is just my opinion. The Associate Exam

If you buy Mastering Autodesk Revit Architecture 2011by Krygiel, Read and Vandezande, it tells you in Appendix C, "The Autodesk Certification Exams," exactly what you need to study to pass the exams. As long as you completely understand each of the topics listed in the book, you shouldn't have much trouble passing.

In addition, the book is the best practical resource I have found for using Revit the way we do in our office.

Joshua S.

The Freelon Group, Architects

www.freelon.com

Message 7 of 10

Joshua,

Thank you for the direct and concise answer.  I do have Eddy's book and will take your advice. When you say take the test for free at AU, I'm assuming you are talking about Las Vegas last year, but that costs unless you were lucky enough to have had you employer pay your way.  I've had a great career and attended many employer sponsored Expos and classes.  Unfortunately, I'm not working at this time in this economy.  The good news is that I have lots of time to get good at Revit the bad news is I'm wondering if I can afford my 2012 subscription this year.  I live in LA and watching the job postings things seem to be turning around but slowly.

Thanks,

Hank

Message 8 of 10
rkitect28

Hank,

Here is a 2009 link to an Autodesk article about displaced employees getting free software licenses, training, and reduced Revit Certification fees from Resellers.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=13107886&linkID=12338624

I would talk to your local reseller and check to see if they offer a reduced fee for exams.

Joshua S.

The Freelon Group, Architects

www.freelon.com

Message 9 of 10
rkitect28

Just thought I would add that Imaginit Technologies is running a certification special-the last day is October 20-two days from this post for $25.00 per exam.

http://imaginit.com/software-solutions/special-offers/current-promotions/Certification-Days

P.S. They need to make the professional exam harder, longer and more specialized as it relates to version, and should require one to retest at the professional level instead of the Associate once you have passed. The 2012 Associate exam to keep my professional certification was way too easy.

Josh

Message 10 of 10

Thanks rkitect28,

But it looks like the closest class to me is Vancouver and I'm in LA.

Hank 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report