Revit Architecture

Revit Architecture

bill
Message 1 of 5 (1,699 Views)

Beam System vs. connecting wood trusses to roof deck

1699 Views, 4 Replies
11-28-2008 12:07 PM
Can anyone tell us how to connect wood trusses to the roof? We can create a beam system with a wx girder beam and wx beams perpendicular to the girder beam. When we add various slopes to the roof deck, the wx system is attached to and follows all of the roof height adjustments. However, we cannot figure out how to get wood trusses to act the same way and attach to/follow adjusted roof heights. Any ideas?
bill
Message 2 of 5 (1,610 Views)

Re: Beam System vs. connecting wood trusses to roof deck

02-06-2011 12:37 PM in reply to: bill

I would also like to know how this is done! I can create a plane, insert a girder, and if follows the height below the roof deck (reference plane). However, I cannot figure our how to get a wood truss (purlin) to attach to the same reference plan and follow the slope of the roof. The only thing I can associate it with is a level. I cannot figure out how to slope the truss or assign different heights at each end. Please advise.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 3 of 5 (1,587 Views)

02-07-2011 04:59 AM in reply to: bill

About roofs and beam systems, follow this logic: If A is aligned to B and B is aligned to C, then A is aligned to C. 

If the slope of A (the roof) changes, the slope of the other two systems, B (girders) and C (trusses), will change accordingly.

See illustration.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
bill
Message 4 of 5 (1,571 Views)

02-07-2011 07:02 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Hello Alfredo,

Yes, I've seen this solution before. It works great when installing girder beams or I beams in Revit 2009. However, when I try to do the same with wood trusses, they automatically attach themselves to a level, not a work plane. Also, once in the model, you cannot adjust the heights at the ends of the truss, so it remains horizontal. Have you tried installing sloped trusses?

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 5 of 5 (1,563 Views)

02-07-2011 09:03 AM in reply to: bill

bill wrote:

.... Have you tried installing sloped trusses?

Yes, from a 3d view, use Work plane > Set and select the sloped bottom face of the roof. Now use the cube to get a floor plan view. Insert the truss. Then adjust the truss´s instance properties for bottom, top, offset, etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!