Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backwards Compatibility

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
adeal000
269 Views, 2 Replies

Backwards Compatibility

Hello everyone,

I am a new Revit Architecture user, and I have been working mostly with Revit Arch. 2011. When transitioning to RA 2012, it has occurred to me that RA 2012 files are incompatible with RA 2011. According to some quick google search results, Revit Architecture program has been coded in such as a way that from its begining backwards compatibility was not an option.

Is there a way around this problem? How can someone with an older version of Revit Arch. use files from a newer version? The obvious answer is I guess to install the newer version, but I was wondering if there is another version around this issue. How do firms keep updated when Autodesk releases programs every year?

Cheers,

Anthony

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
vector2
in reply to: adeal000

Q:  "How do firms keep updated when Autodesk releases programs every year?"  

A:  They buy a license or become subscription members.

Q:  How can someone with an older version of Revit Arch. use files from a newer version?

A:  Files from the newer version can be exported as IFC and opened in the older version.

Message 3 of 3
cvandevere
in reply to: adeal000

Unfortunately, Revit versions are not backwards compatible and never have been. That is why if you are working in a teaming environment that everyone is on the same version for the duration of that project.  If you are on subscription you will have access to I believe the last three versions of the software.

While you you can IFC a file for use in other versions there is still a loss of information which is probably not good for an on going project.

If firms are on subscription they will get the new versions and updates annually.  I can honestly tell you from working with revit for over seven years the changes/improvements to the program each year are very valuable. Good Luck!

CDV

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report