Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup files

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
RyanT
352 Views, 3 Replies

backup files

2-part question...

1. How are backup files accessed and are they valuable? I cannot find any value in having them. They only seem to take up space on the network.

2. Can you tell Revit not to create backup files?
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: RyanT

If you crash you can recover a backup file. although Revit doesn't crash often, still nice to know you can recover work. If you want to roll back the design. This is more common with the 4 D aspect of Revit. I might try a few things and later decide I needed something I deleted. I can roll back to the backup - or open the back up and copy/paste. Number of backups is project specific. File->Save As->Options->Max number of backups. They are easy to delete with a batch file or a quick windows search for file named *.0???.r?? "RyanT" wrote in message news:4572668.1090353102446.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > 2-part question... > > 1. How are backup files accessed and are they valuable? I cannot find any value in having them. They only seem to take up space on the network. > > 2. Can you tell Revit not to create backup files?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Please don't set the number of backups to zero (0), or even one (1). Too many times (not many, but too many) the Revit Support team has worked with clients who, for whatever reason, had trouble with their primary project and did not have a backup to fall back on. Disk space is cheap, lost data is not! In many of the cases our developers has been able to work some magic on the file and recover data... not in all cases, however! I can't tell you how frustrating is can be, for all parties, when data is lost that could have been salvaged by simple backup practices. We recommend AT LEAST 3 backups, plus recommend some sort of standard backup utility to CYA. -- Regards, Steve Burri Autodesk, Inc Client Support Manager - Revit "Aaron Rumple" wrote in message news:40fd7eb9$1_3@newsprd01... > If you crash you can recover a backup file. although Revit doesn't crash > often, still nice to know you can recover work. > If you want to roll back the design. This is more common with the 4 D aspect > of Revit. I might try a few things and later decide I needed something I > deleted. I can roll back to the backup - or open the back up and copy/paste. > > Number of backups is project specific. File->Save As->Options->Max number of > backups. > > They are easy to delete with a batch file or a quick windows search for file > named *.0???.r?? > > "RyanT" wrote in message > news:4572668.1090353102446.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > 2-part question... > > > > 1. How are backup files accessed and are they valuable? I cannot find > any value in having them. They only seem to take up space on the network. > > > > 2. Can you tell Revit not to create backup files? > >
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Ok so what about the endless files and folders created when project sharing. Are they all necessary or can some of them be deleted when they are outdated. Some backups are good but files from day one are useless. Disk space is cheap but not infinite. "Steve Burri" wrote in message news:40fdba9a$1_2@newsprd01... > Please don't set the number of backups to zero (0), or even one (1). > > Too many times (not many, but too many) the Revit Support team has worked > with clients who, for whatever reason, had trouble with their primary > project and did not have a backup to fall back on. Disk space is cheap, > lost data is not! In many of the cases our developers has been able to work > some magic on the file and recover data... not in all cases, however! > > I can't tell you how frustrating is can be, for all parties, when data is > lost that could have been salvaged by simple backup practices. > > We recommend AT LEAST 3 backups, plus recommend some sort of standard backup > utility to CYA. > > -- > Regards, > > Steve Burri > Autodesk, Inc > Client Support Manager - Revit > > "Aaron Rumple" wrote in message > news:40fd7eb9$1_3@newsprd01... > > If you crash you can recover a backup file. although Revit doesn't crash > > often, still nice to know you can recover work. > > If you want to roll back the design. This is more common with the 4 D > aspect > > of Revit. I might try a few things and later decide I needed something I > > deleted. I can roll back to the backup - or open the back up and > copy/paste. > > > > Number of backups is project specific. File->Save As->Options->Max number > of > > backups. > > > > They are easy to delete with a batch file or a quick windows search for > file > > named *.0???.r?? > > > > "RyanT" wrote in message > > news:4572668.1090353102446.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > > 2-part question... > > > > > > 1. How are backup files accessed and are they valuable? I cannot find > > any value in having them. They only seem to take up space on the network. > > > > > > 2. Can you tell Revit not to create backup files? > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report