Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background Images

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
david
425 Views, 4 Replies

Background Images

We have just received our new revision of Revit Architecture 2009.
So thought I would try out the NEW? Rendering engine and settings!
I was very very disappointed in the overall performance ( it seemed to be just as slow as Accurender when the settings were cranked up to a decent image setting. ( I have a number of years experience in rendering in revit and also in Viz render)
-You can no longer use custom background images for your rendered scenes.
-Procedural maps for materials are no longer available.
Since I am the cad manager at this office I am giving it a great deal of thought whether to continue with our subscription licence because of the things that I listed above where in the previous version of Revit Architecture and not this one Revit 2009.
We have been on subscription for about 3 - 4 years and personally I have used Revit since version 4.5 which was about the same time that AutoDesk bought them out.
Over the previous version I have seen many improvements in Revit , but I’m sorry to say that this version 2009 is a non advent
And also from looking at other Revit forums on the web there seems to be a lot of faults with this release.
Do think that may be AutoDesk should spend time make their current version stronger and more reliable then bring out a half cook revision?.
We pay good money on subscription each year for our software and except to get the “NEW”
version of software with new features and functionality and not to have features taken out.
AutoDesk needs to take a long hard look at what they want to achieve and also what path they want to take, because I think that they have too many fingers in too many pies.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: david

The rendering engine is huge improvement over what we had. Rendering is not
the only new feature of Revit 2009. There are many other things that make
it worths the subscription value. Subscription also gets you e-learning,
support, extention tools, and more.

wrote in message news:5920780@discussion.autodesk.com...
We have just received our new revision of Revit Architecture 2009.
So thought I would try out the NEW? Rendering engine and settings!
I was very very disappointed in the overall performance ( it seemed to be
just as slow as Accurender when the settings were cranked up to a decent
image setting. ( I have a number of years experience in rendering in revit
and also in Viz render)
-You can no longer use custom background images for your rendered scenes.
-Procedural maps for materials are no longer available.
Since I am the cad manager at this office I am giving it a great deal of
thought whether to continue with our subscription licence because of the
things that I listed above where in the previous version of Revit
Architecture and not this one Revit 2009.
We have been on subscription for about 3 - 4 years and personally I have
used Revit since version 4.5 which was about the same time that AutoDesk
bought them out.
Over the previous version I have seen many improvements in Revit , but I'm
sorry to say that this version 2009 is a non advent
And also from looking at other Revit forums on the web there seems to be a
lot of faults with this release.
Do think that may be AutoDesk should spend time make their current version
stronger and more reliable then bring out a half cook revision?.
We pay good money on subscription each year for our software and except to
get the "NEW"
version of software with new features and functionality and not to have
features taken out.
AutoDesk needs to take a long hard look at what they want to achieve and
also what path they want to take, because I think that they have too many
fingers in too many pies.
Message 3 of 5
david

That is great that there are new features added to Revit Architecture, But i would expect them to leave in the original functionality from pervious versions.
e-learning has basic information about the use of Revit Architecture ( more for beginners), for the more advanced user is of no use.
As far as I'm aware there no extension for revit Architecture in regard to the type of work we preform.
We have invested a lot of time and money in training in the use of the rendering application (Accurender) with in Revit,
and now for autodesk to just change the way in which we do things is very uneducated of them in regard to what the industry requires.
Message 4 of 5
jamespar

"I was very very disappointed in the overall performance ( it seemed to be just as slow as Accurender when the settings were cranked up to a decent image setting. ( I have a number of years experience in rendering in revit and also in Viz render)"

I used Accurender since the first version. The Mental Ray engine is much faster and provides higher quality images than Accurender ever could provided you know what you are doing. Accurender and Viz render had their place but they were toys compared to Max or Viz with Mental Ray or V-Ray.

"-You can no longer use custom background images for your rendered scenes."

Put 'em in in post. It easier to make them look right that way.

"-Procedural maps for materials are no longer available."

Procedurals in Accurender were easy to use but they looked very unrealistic.

"Over the previous version I have seen many improvements in Revit , but I’m sorry to say that this version 2009 is a non advent"

What the hell is a "non advent" ? If you're saying that Revit 2009 is not the second coming of Christ, I agree.
Message 5 of 5
david

My point is that if we were able to use these features in the previous version of the software then they should be still available in the next release.
I understand that Menatlray render is a better rendering engine, but these features that I am talking about are properties which can be change in Max so why can we not change them in Revit.
AutoDesk have dumb down the material editing process, and by doing so they have change the way which companies structure their work flow.
These day’s with so many software releases coming out that training for individual software packages is really not an option. Because this requires individuals to be trained in one particular software package limiting your knowledge base through you office environment .
Revit 2008 and previous versions provided us with the one stop shop for doing our renders, design and documentation so you see we just don't use Revit for the pretty pictures but the whole documentation process from start to finish .
So with my experience in both Accurender and Max I’m able to make these comparisons between the two types of rendering engines and also the degree of accuracy needed to produce photo realistic renders for our client base.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report