Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk VIZ or 3D Studio Max?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Ferrari_Italy
601 Views, 9 Replies

Autodesk VIZ or 3D Studio Max?

We are just about to move over from Microstation V8 Triforma to Autodesk Revit and I have overheard that the rendering on Autodesk VIZ is not really up to the job (Don't shoot the messenger!). Is 3D Studio Max really the way to go?
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Ferrari_Italy

Revit uses Accurender built into the program, not Viz. Some people don't like Accurender, but I've seen some really nice renderings from it. Some will export their Revit models to DWG, then open in Viz and render there because they like it better. Max and Viz are similar....although Max is a more powerful animation type rendering engine. Viz will be sufficient for producing stills. "Ferrari_Italy" wrote in message news:700457.1091453952684.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > We are just about to move over from Microstation V8 Triforma to Autodesk Revit and I have overheard that the rendering on Autodesk VIZ is not really up to the job (Don't shoot the messenger!). Is 3D Studio Max really the way to go? > Thanks
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

As Scott indicated, Revit has Accurender built in. There is no explicit provision in either VIZ or MAX to accomodate native Revit files, although you can convert Revit geometry to DWG files, and then import or link them. If you have decided not to use the Accurender engine within Revit for some reason, VIZ and MAX are very similar in a lot of ways. MAX will give you more animation and "special effects" tools (particle systems, for example, to simulate flame, snow, etc.). -- Matt Dillon Autodesk Discussion Forum Facilitator "Ferrari_Italy" wrote in message news:700457.1091453952684.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > We are just about to move over from Microstation V8 Triforma to Autodesk Revit and I have overheard that the rendering on Autodesk VIZ is not really up to the job (Don't shoot the messenger!). Is 3D Studio Max really the way to go? > Thanks
Message 4 of 10

Thank you both for the informative answers, being totally new to the world of 3D I am having to pick things up as I go along. The rendering package in Revit isn't deemed good enough (?) by my superiors and I don't really have any argument for it at the moment not having used it! We currently only produce 3D models for exterior A1 - A3 photomontages and some fly through's so I am hoping they are making the right choices?
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Accurender in Revit doesn't support network rendering. That reason alone is enough to justify the switch to Viz/Max. Personally I think Viz is a great choice for buildings and I can't really justify the extra cost of Max. "Ferrari_Italy" wrote in message news:17649000.1091525145704.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Thank you both for the informative answers, being totally new to the world of 3D I am having to pick things up as I go along. The rendering package in Revit isn't deemed good enough (?) by my superiors and I don't really have any argument for it at the moment not having used it! We currently only produce 3D models for exterior A1 - A3 photomontages and some fly through's so I am hoping they are making the right choices?
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

VIZ and Max use the same rendering engine. Their only differences is in their animation abilities. If you need a partical generator or to animate a modifier (and even some of that you can do in VIZ 2005) then you want Max. VIZ will do everything else you need. VIZ 2005 even has the added feature of Mental Ray to render even higher quality images. You can find a whitepaper on how to use Revit with VIZ here http://www3.autodesk.com/adsk/files/4370885_Using_Revit_w_AutodeskVIZ.pdf "Aaron Rumple" wrote in message news:410f957b_2@newsprd01... > Accurender in Revit doesn't support network rendering. That reason alone is > enough to justify the switch to Viz/Max. Personally I think Viz is a great > choice for buildings and I can't really justify the extra cost of Max. > > "Ferrari_Italy" wrote in message > news:17649000.1091525145704.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > Thank you both for the informative answers, being totally new to the world > of 3D I am having to pick things up as I go along. The rendering package in > Revit isn't deemed good enough (?) by my superiors and I don't really have > any argument for it at the moment not having used it! We currently only > produce 3D models for exterior A1 - A3 photomontages and some fly through's > so I am hoping they are making the right choices? > >
Message 7 of 10

Thanks Christie that is very helpful, Paul
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Anytime! -Christie "Ferrari_Italy" wrote in message news:31290037.1092656587994.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Thanks Christie that is very helpful, Paul
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

What is network rendering? Thanks, "Aaron Rumple" wrote in message news:410f957b_2@newsprd01... > Accurender in Revit doesn't support network rendering. That reason alone is > enough to justify the switch to Viz/Max. Personally I think Viz is a great > choice for buildings and I can't really justify the extra cost of Max. > > "Ferrari_Italy" wrote in message > news:17649000.1091525145704.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > Thank you both for the informative answers, being totally new to the world > of 3D I am having to pick things up as I go along. The rendering package in > Revit isn't deemed good enough (?) by my superiors and I don't really have > any argument for it at the moment not having used it! We currently only > produce 3D models for exterior A1 - A3 photomontages and some fly through's > so I am hoping they are making the right choices? > >
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Network Rendering is the ability to take "frames" or individual images, and "farm" them out to a series of machines. One image per machine. This allows the potential "compression" of the total time it takes to render either an animation sequence, or say, a series of five or so still images of a project. If it takes 4 hours per still image, you'd need 20 hours on a single machine. Using 5 identical machines (hah!) you could produce the five renderings in 4 hours.

You have to have the system set up correctly, but it is DEFINATELY worth the efforts if you are rendering animations.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report