Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Import into Revit 2013

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mhart0214
2878 Views, 3 Replies

AutoCAD Import into Revit 2013

I am trying to import a sheet with multiple drawings on it from AutoCAD to a sheet in Revit but when I do so all I get are the lines showing the AutoCAD sheet and the drawing labels but no actual drawings. I have done this before and can't figure what is going wrong. I have the import options set to color: black and white, levels/layers: specify and unit: inch. I also don't have AutoCAD on my workstation and it is a very large hotel project with hundreds of specific details and sheets that I do not want and do not have time to change or redo. The DWGs I have are all set up as sheets and I don't have any individual details or drawings of the project not already set up as an AutoCAD sheet. I thought I could make the process simple by just importing the DWG sheet with all drawings to a Revit sheet at the correct scale, explode the layers, delete what I don't need and be done, this is NOT the case. Also I can get access to AutoCAD on another workstation after hours if anyone has any suggestions on how I could possibly fix this problem.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: mhart0214

I don't think the ,dwg is going to import as you expect, from an AutoCAD's layout to a sheet in Revit. If you import a .dwg from a sheet in Revit all that is imported is the paperspace or layout content of the .dwg. You would need to import or link the .dwg from a model view in Revit, not from a sheet, and then add the views to the sheets.

If I may ask, what is the purpose of importing this .dwg file if what you have in mind is "explode the layers, delete what I don't need and be done". What kind of model would that be?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 4
nmysorewala
in reply to: mhart0214

Why are you importing the sheets? why not just print the sheets from AutoCAD? as the other person said what is the purpose?

BIMologist
Message 4 of 4
veso58S5W
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo, thank you for posting How to use TopoSolid on YouTube, very informative, although I have to go through it more times (old dog on new tricks 😉)

I have a question, and I tried to get answer on Forum and Help pages, but couldn't figure the solution.

Line in Sketch is slightly off axis and may cause inaccuracies.

That is the warning I get when I do simple task of generating TopoSolid from .dwg Import

I am working in solid modeling programs for last 20 years, and i don't like to have a warning at the start of creating something. That thing can create who knows what problem down the road and might make irreparable damages. I just try every time to have "clean" file.

I understand that I can continue with my work and organize land, but.....

I tried to figure out what is actually "slightly of axis" but couldn't get to end result and cancel the warning. dwg was just a simple file with 7 splines representing 5m elevation increments

I would appreciate any input,

Veso

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report