Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad Architecture to Revit Architecture

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
regalith
8013 Views, 11 Replies

Autocad Architecture to Revit Architecture

Hi

Trying to convert a project from autocad architecture to revit.  Is there a way for revit to see autocad walls and doors without exploding them in autcad?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ccollins
in reply to: regalith

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: 

You can import or Link a 3D AutoCad file from ACA into Revit, but there it ends.

It will not "convert automatically" to Revit format.

If you really need to , you can "trace" over the ACA model with Walls, Floors, Roofs, Doors, Windows, Curtainwalls, etc.

But don't expect an easy process. It would probably be easier to just start over in Revit.

Good luck!

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 12
regalith
in reply to: ccollins

Yes I just wanted to trace the autocad walls and doors however when I import the CAD file the walls and doors do not show up without exploding the CAD file.

Message 4 of 12
robincapperw

Try turning on proxy objects in AutoCAD Architecture if not already PROXYGRAPHICS 1, but find an "Export to AutoCAD" from ACA a plan will give 2D output, 3D for 3D AutoCAD objects).

If you want to try & get model elements from ACA to Revit give IFC export a try, but don't expect too much. Find it sort of works for fairly std objects, just gives a mass like box for anything out of the ordinary.

An old example but haven't seen great deal of change: http://rcd.typepad.com/rcd/2008/10/ifc-phooey.html

Robin
Autodesk AEC Collection 2020 - PC: HP Z6 | Win 10 64 | Xeon 3014 | 64 GB ram | Quadro P5000 - Tablet: Surface 3 Pro i5-4300u | Win 10 Ent 1703 64 | 8GB ram - Phone: Samsung S21 Ultra | Android 11
RobiNZ CAD Blog | LinkedIn
Message 5 of 12
regalith
in reply to: robincapperw

My intent is just to trace the CAD so I don't want any imported elements to remain in the model.  The issue is autocad architecture wall and door elements were not showing up after linking the CAD to the Revit model.  I ended up exploding the elements in Autocad and then linking the file.  

Message 6 of 12
chadcross
in reply to: robincapperw

Turning proxygraphics to 1 worked for me. Had a linked CAD file with doors not showing up, opened CAD and changed proxygraphics and reloaded the linked CAD in Revit. Boom, doors!
Message 7 of 12
Paul_F_Aubin
in reply to: chadcross

All the suggestions so far should work. But if you are going to get rid of the CAD file after tracing, why do you care if it is exploded? 

I would try two things. First, if you only care about walls, doors and windows, you might have some success with IFC export. You export to IFC from ACA, then open (or if on 2015, you can link) the IFC back into Revit. It will make some pretty poorly named wall types, and clutter the file with lots of stuff you probably don't want. But you can select the walls, change their types, check their heights (IFC always does weird stuff with the heights) and generally clean it up. Then copy and paste to a clean file. THis should leave most of the weird stuff behind. 

Second option, if you are fine with tracing is to use the Export to AutoCAD command in ACA. It does explode stuff, but preserves the look of everything. Set the ACA file to Low Detail first so you get less linework. Link this in and trace it. 

Hope that helps. 

paul

Paul F. Aubin

Paul F. Aubin Consulting Services, Inc.
Check out my books and training videos
paulaubin.com
Message 8 of 12
saltsmans

What if you want to use it as a background?

Message 9 of 12
Paul_F_Aubin
in reply to: saltsmans

My option 2 should work well as a background. Use the Link CAD option in Revit and the "exported to AutoCAD" file from ACA will become a link in your Revit project. If you only want it to show in the plan view, click the "Current view only" checkbox. 

Hope that helps. 

paul

Paul F. Aubin

Paul F. Aubin Consulting Services, Inc.
Check out my books and training videos
paulaubin.com
Message 10 of 12
martijn.lugthart
in reply to: ccollins

I had the same problem. And i found the most simple soluition.

Select all AutoCAD Architecture elements and Explode once.

Save and Link in Revit.

Done

Message 11 of 12

You’d think in the decade that has passed they would have done something about this but…

Message 12 of 12
ToanDN
in reply to: MichaelWahl7184

@MichaelWahl7184 wrote:

You’d think in the decade that has passed they would have done something about this but…

AutoCAD Architecture > IFC > Revit has been there since forever. Maybe you should try it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report