Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad Architecture Floor Plan into Revit 3D Model

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
bsd09051
4565 Views, 15 Replies

Autocad Architecture Floor Plan into Revit 3D Model

Hello,

I am trying to convert my companies Autocad Architecture plans into Revit. I would like to be able to import the autocad file and since the walls and windows and all the details are already specifid in autocad, i would like Revit to just build the 3D model when i import the cad file. Is this possible or am i totally out there?

Bailey

BD
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
LisaDrago
in reply to: bsd09051

Ummmm. A bit out there. 

Revit will view the AutoCAD model as a whole element - you could explode it but that creates a pretty good mess in your model you may  not want.

You can build off the plan view using the Revit elements - which works quickly. 

Unless I am miss understanding what you are wanting.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 16
bsd09051
in reply to: LisaDrago

I know of someone who has imported an autocad architecture file and had the walls and windows and everything just build up (rather than just showing 2d). But i cannot get that to work..everytime i try to import a warning box comes up saying "some things cannot be opened"...what i am doing wrong? In autocad architecture, my plans call out "9'-0" walls that are 20' long"...shouldnt revit recognize that and add a 9' wall without me having to use the wall tool to trace over the entire plan???

Thank you,

Bailey

BD
Message 4 of 16
LisaDrago

Okay - the attached image is something I just did in autocad arch and linked into revit - I had to make sure I set the proxygraphics to 1 and it was a solid not wireframe. 

Now it did not create revit elements that I can manipulate - just a block of autocad elements.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
Message 5 of 16
anssi.wainio

You could try exporting your AutoCad Architecture model to IFC and importing that into Revit

Anssi

Message 6 of 16
bsd09051
in reply to: anssi.wainio

How do you open an IFC in revit?

BD
Message 7 of 16
DarrenP

the big R>open>ifc

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 16
vector3
in reply to: DarrenP

Darrel,

Do you know why this forum enjoys steering newbies down a 

dead-end track?

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 9 of 16
LisaDrago
in reply to: vector3

Please explain vector.

LD

Message 10 of 16
bsd09051
in reply to: LisaDrago

Yes, can you please explain, Vector, why these posts are missleading? Because, if there is actually a solution to bring an autocad architecture drawing into revit and have revit build up in 3D based on the information already in autocad, then i would love to hear it...any thoughts?

BD
Message 11 of 16
vector3

Again, that whole idea is totally out of the question, Revit doesn't work

anything like that. If you want to build something in Revit that was drawn

in AutoCAD, pin it up on the wall above your monitor and use it to help

you built the thing in Revit. That's it, that's the truth. But yes there are

some exceptions for importing dwg lines.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 12 of 16
loboarch

IFC import/export is really the only choice to get the objects from AutoCAD Architecture into Revit.  This method is however going to be somewhat limited.  The IFC objects imported into Revit will be Revit objects, but may not behave in all of the same ways you might want them too.  It will be limited.  Rofs are a good example; a simple hip roof comming in via IFC will be created as 4 seperate slabs.  The "roof" in this case will not modify like a typical roof created in Revit would.  The 4 slabs are technically "roofs" but that is pretty much where it stops.

If you are goign to need to do significant modification to the geometry imported via IFC you will probably want to consider re-modeling in native Revit objects.  If it is to document existing conditions or preform a remodel project of some kind the IFC stuff is probably ok.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 13 of 16
bsd09051
in reply to: loboarch

Thank you,

I am dissapointed that its not as easy as i would like, but thats life! I just hate to take all that time to re-draw...almost not worth it.

If anything changes let me know!

BD
Message 14 of 16
vector3

@bsd09051 wrote:

hate to take all that time to re-draw.. 

bsd, 

I will give you here a simple key to understanding what you are still

not understanding. This is very valuable for people new to Revit.

You don't "re-draw" anything in Revit. You start virtual construction,

and that is called a "model".

It's possible to just start building a model without any sketch lines

to start from, but that's the same as starting to build the real building

with no construction documents.

With CAD, they drew the lines and then built the actual building from

those lines. With BIM, they draw the lines, maybe with AutoCAD or a

pencil, and then build a virtual model from those lines, that is then

converted into construction documents, from the model.

So now there is a new step in-between.

If you are just building a simple house or something, you may not

need a virtual model. But if you are building a medical center, you

do need a virtual model. 

I guess the reason Autodesk bundles AutoCAD with Revit is because

AutoCAD can give us all the preliminary lines we need to start the 

Revit model. And there are many different ways to use those CAD

lines to build a Revit model.

I hope this helps you.

Message 15 of 16
calpolylinh

Thank you for clarifying.  Agreed, Revit is modeling, not drawing.  However, he's trying not to "re-build" the model components that are already in 3D CAD.  I'm in the same situation.  The previous team was more comfortable with modeling in CAD, but when we took over to start DD, Revit is more appropriate for our team.  Since both CAD and Revit are from Autodesk, we were hoping the model components (including walls, doors, window system, curtain wall, some furnitures and even overhang, etc.) would be convertable.  Even knowing we need to re-build some pieces, it is a bit disappointed to find out they are not as easy to convert / transferrable.

Thanks anyway.

Linh

Message 16 of 16
Alfredo_Medina

I would simply finish the project that was started in AutoCAD Architecture, using the same software. New projects can be started in Revit, if that is the decision. I don't see why a project from ACA should be converted into Revit. It is not technically possible, but both programs are very capable, why do you bother with the conversion?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report