Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying Project Parameters to an Element

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
kooldabiz
2132 Views, 9 Replies

Applying Project Parameters to an Element

How do I apply a Project Parameter (not Shared Parameter) that I created in Manage> Settings > Project Parameters to an existing element.

Following the instructions under Creating a Project Parameter in WikiHelp for Revit 2013, I created a Project Parameter called "Equipment ID" (common, text, text) in Manage> Settings > Project Parameters. In the process I clicked the Modify button and assigned it to all Categories by checking all boxes. However, when I opened the family editor for a piece of electrical equipment, selected an element (an extrusion), and then went into the Family Types dialog and clicked Add Parameter, it did not give me the option of adding Project Parameters, only Shared Parameters.

WikiHelp, under "Project Parameters", states "Project parameters are parameters you define and then add to multiple categories of elements in a project", but does not say how to "add" them to the element and doesn't direct me to another section that dose.

Any help on this would be greatly appriciated!

KOOLDABIZ
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
CoreyDaun
in reply to: kooldabiz

Project Parameters are NOT accessible outside of the Project - they are only added to selected elements/types for the purposes of THAT project. So they are not recognized by the Family Editor (which is separate from the Project).

If you can elaborate on your ultimate goal, we can better aid your endeavors. (Do you want to Schedule this parameter? Show this in a Tag? Both?)

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 10
kooldabiz
in reply to: CoreyDaun

That was the wack on the side of the head I needed. Never considered a family as a separate project.  Just assumed that it becomes part of a project when it is loaded into one.  So to take you up on your kind offer, I will elaborate a bit starting with a couple of clarification questions.

1.  Am I correct in understanding then that there really isn't anything I can create that I can apply a Project Parameter to that I also created (in Manage> Settings > Project Parameters)?

2.  Could you give me some examples of what I can apply a Project Parameter that I created in Manage> Settings > Project Parameters to?

3.  Goals: 

3a. Create a multitude of model components (mostly equipment) with common parameters that can be tagged,  scheduled, and filtered. 

3b. Have some of the components be very generic (some might be as simple as a box that could be put in a room to represent an odd piece of new or existing equipment and have it show up on the Equipment Schedule with the Instance information input into the common parameters I created.  Have been using the Generic Model.rfa to create some really nice components, but some won't recognize the room (Location) they are in.  See Para "3c" and Note-1 below.

3c. Each component would recognize the room it's in so that the room name and number (as tagged) could also be in the schedule and be sorted by.

3d. Be able to use the same components and Equipment Schedule in new-project after new-project. 

Note-1: I'm very close to meeting Goal 3d, but the room recognition issue in items 3b & c have been giving me fits.  To get a flavor of what I've been going through see my post 'Multi-Category Sched ... Not Reporting 'Some' Room Info' posted about 3 weeks ago and has not been replied to yet.  Also see missing room names and numbers on attached Equipment Schedule.  Also reference attached Plan Showing Equipment on Schedule

Note-2: The reason I was looking into Project Parameters is because I opened up a project I hadn't worked on in a few days and found all of my equipment and conduit was gone.  I verified that it wasn't just hidden by checking the equipment schedule and conduit run schedule, which were both empty.  Visibility settings for both were checked.  Thought it might have been because I had deleted some shared parameters while in another project and so was looking for a way to avoid making that mistake again.

Thanks

KOOLDABIZ
Message 4 of 10
CoreyDaun

kooldabiz wrote:

"1.  Am I correct in understanding then that there really isn't anything I can create that I can apply a Project Parameter to that I also created (in Manage> Settings > Project Parameters)?"

You can use them in Schedules, but you cannot create a Tag to report Project Parameter. In fact, when adding a parameter from the Project Parameters dialog, it explains:

ProjectParameters.JPG

kooldabiz wrote:

"2.  Could you give me some examples of what I can apply a Project Parameter that I created in Manage> Settings > Project Parameters to?"

For example, I want to sort elements by (or simply report) an element's designated zone (I'm not talking about HVAC Zones or Spaces). I want the Zone (a Project Parameter) to appear on Schedules but I don't need to show that information on the Floor Plan (via Tag).

As another example, we had a project in which we were instructed to divide our power/technology plans, showing Computer Power and General Power separately. Naturally, this was decided about 7/8 of the way through the project, so we created a Yes/No Project Parameter called "Tech" used that parameter to control the visibility of the receptacles via View Templates (since they were of the same Family/Type).

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 10
CoreyDaun

kooldabiz wrote:

"3a. Create a multitude of model components (mostly equipment) with common parameters that can be tagged,  scheduled, and filtered." 

Shared Parameters, as they can be used in Tags.

kooldabiz wrote:

"3b. Have some of the components be very generic (some might be as simple as a box that could be put in a room to represent an odd piece of new or existing equipment and have it show up on the Equipment Schedule with the Instance information input into the common parameters I created.  Have been using the Generic Model.rfa to create some really nice components, but some won't recognize the room (Location) they are in.  See Para "3c" and Note-1 below.

3c. Each component would recognize the room it's in so that the room name and number (as tagged) could also be in the schedule and be sorted by."

If the Family is not reporting the Room in which it is located, then that is an issue with the Family, not the Parameters. This should be entirely possible unless the element exists outside of the room, or above or below it. I'll look for your previous post.

kooldabiz wrote:

"3d. Be able to use the same components and Equipment Schedule in new-project after new-project." 

I have manually added our Shared Parameters to all of our Families in order to input the appropriate default values, then (if needed) the Shared Parameter can also be added globally so it can be applied to the more generically modeled elements, and the information inputted in the Project. Additionally, you might want to add the Shared Parameters to your Project Template so that they are in every new Project.

kooldabiz wrote:

"Note-2: The reason I was looking into Project Parameters is because I opened up a project I hadn't worked on in a few days and found all of my equipment and conduit was gone.  I verified that it wasn't just hidden by checking the equipment schedule and conduit run schedule, which were both empty.  Visibility settings for both were checked.  Thought it might have been because I had deleted some shared parameters while in another project and so was looking for a way to avoid making that mistake again."

Do you mean that you deleted the Shared Parameter from the Shared Parameter file, or you removed it from the Project? In either case, other Project should not be affected by this - if you delete a Shared Parameter from the root file, it would just prevent future application of that Parameter, and all existing instances of it in Projects should continue to function normally. Create a new Project and a dummy Shared Parameter to test it for yourself.

kooldabiz wrote:

"That was the wack on the side of the head I needed."

Always happy to provide a whack to the side of someone's head, especially if it can prove useful! Just let us know if you need anything else.

Message 6 of 10
kooldabiz

Thanks for both answers.  I think if I were able go through the motions of duplicating both of your examples in #2 I would see how you got to the Parameter Type dialog box you provided in #1 as well as see how you actually applied (or put to use) the Project Paramenter you created (in Manage> Settings > Project Paramenters) .  Would you mind sending the steps?  I have plenty of existing projects to try them on.

KOOLDABIZ
Message 7 of 10
CoreyDaun

Both examples begin with Manage tab » Project Parameters, Click "Add..."

Select 'Project parameter' as the Type and Choose Appropriate Category(ies).

Example 1:

Parameter Name: Zone (Instance Parameter)

Type of Parameter: Text

Group: [Doesn't matter, no affect on functionality]

Click 'OK', and click 'OK' to close the Project Parameters dialog box. Now all elements of the chosen Categories have this Instance Parameter, and a 'Zone' value can by manually inputted by selecting elements or directly through a Schedule.

Example 2:

Parameter Name: Tech (Instance Parameter)

Type of Parameter: Yes/No

Group: [Doesn't matter, no affect on functionality]

Click 'OK', and click 'OK' to close the Project Parameters dialog box. Now all elements of the chosen Categories (in our case, it was just Electrical Fixtures) have this Instance Parameter, and there is a checkbox option to mark an element as a "Technology" receptacle (which can also be manipulated via schedule).

In a Plan View, go to Visibility/Graphics Overrides » Filters and click "Edit/New..."

You can now create a new View Filter for elements of the chosen Categories that can employ this Parameter as a condition, which is controlled under 'Filter Rules'.

Note that if a Yes/No parameter is added in this way, the default state of the checkbox is not 'Yes' OR 'No', instead appearing grayed-out. To account for this, our two View Filters had the conditions "Tech equals Yes", and "Tech does not equal Yes", since none of the elements actually had a 'No' value.

Message 8 of 10
kooldabiz

Wow! Two good whacks on the head in a row. Tried both and love them. I haven't dabbled with View Filters yet, but like the Yes/No logic you mentioned. View Filters are next on the learning list.

Here's a kicker for yah (or maybe I just misunderstood your earlier comment about Project Parameters not being able to be applied to Families because they're outside of the project). When I added ZONE and TECH as Project Parameters in Manage> Settings> Project Parameters, just for kicks I checked the Electrical Equipment and Generic Models categories. Low and behold they both showed up in the Properties dialog for my Family components when I selected them in a view. Don't take me wrong though. I don't plan on using them because, as you thankfully pointed out, "they won't appear in tags" and I need that.

Another good thing that has come out of your comments is that I now know how some other Project Parameters mysteriously appeared in the properties of some components. As a result of one of my past frantic trial and error processes I'm sure I created a Project Parameter and randomly checked some Category boxes in doing so. The proverbial light bulb is now on and I can go back and uncheck them so they aren't cluttering up Properties dialogs.

Though not a big one, thanks to your help I feel like I've moved up a level in the Revit world.  I really appreciate your time and well worded comments and advise.

KOOLDABIZ
Message 9 of 10
CoreyDaun

kooldabiz wrote:

"Here's a kicker for yah (or maybe I just misunderstood your earlier comment about Project Parameters not being able to be applied to Families because they're outside of the project). When I added ZONE and TECH as Project Parameters in Manage> Settings> Project Parameters, just for kicks I checked the Electrical Equipment and Generic Models categories. Low and behold they both showed up in the Properties dialog for my Family components when I selected them in a view. Don't take me wrong though. I don't plan on using them because, as you thankfully pointed out, "they won't appear in tags" and I need that."

If you created those Project Parameters as Instance Parameters, then they will by visible in the Properties Palette when an element of the Specified Category is selected. If they were defined as Type Parameters, then they'll appear only under said element's Type Properties.

Regardless of the above, if you open the Family for editing, those parameters will not appear. Why? Because they are added to those elements by the Project (hence named Project Parameters) and what you are looking at is the root definition of that family. If you were to load those Families into a another Project, those parameters will not be present. However, if there were Project Parameters assigned to the Category of the loaded Families, then they will now possess these Project Parameters as well, as they will be assigned by that Project.

Hope that clarifies things a bit!

Message 10 of 10
kooldabiz

That's a big help.  I want to be able to use them where ever it will assist and save time like in the examples you gave.  The deeper understanding of how they work will help me in that effort.  Thanks for all your help on this.  I took advantage of some of the info I got from you just this morning.  Hope to talk to you again some time.

KOOLDABIZ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report