Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

annotations from the linked file

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
rfmtx
2325 Views, 2 Replies

annotations from the linked file

I'm using the technique described below to display annotations from a linked Revit file in a floor plan view of my project. I want to display all of the annotations from the linked file in the floor plan view of my project. I can see the dimensions, text, door tags from the linked file, however, I cannot see the tags of sections, callouts, and elevations. Should I be able to see these, or are they not really annotations?

NOTE: If the linked model has annotations that you want to display in the project, the annotations must be in either a plan or RCP view in the linked model. You can then select the By Linked View or Custom option to select the view to display in the project.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
melarch
in reply to: rfmtx

Elevations, Sections and Callouts are views not annotation. Views are an project based and therefore do not transfer from linked models. Access to the views specific to a Linked file is not available. You can copy Levels and Grids or model and annotation elements/components from Linked Revit files.

To copy Levels and establish those plan or ceiling views in your current project (Hosted) file, you can use the Copy/Monitor command under the Tools menu. Select Link in the Flyout menu and Copy in the Copy/Monitor menu in the Design Bar. Select Multiple from teh Option bar to select multiple Levels to copy and then select Finish on the Option bar to complete the copy of the Linked project Levels into your current (Host) project. When completed the new Levels (Tags) will appear in Black versus Blue. This means they are Levels, but are not plan or ceiling views in the Project Browser. To make these views plan or ceiling views in the Project Browser, select the Newcommand in the Views menu, select the Floor Pan or Ceiling Plan from the New flyout menu and in the Floor Plan views list select the Floor Plans copied from the Linked project file. You will need to repeat this for Ceiling Plans.

You can turn off the Linked project Levels or Grids by opening the Visibility Graphics dialog box and select the Revit Links tab. In the Links list select the appropriate Linked project file and under Display Settings select the By Host View button. In the Revit Link Display Settings dialog box select Custom then the Annotation Categories tab. In the Annotation Categories - Annotation Categories: list select and uncheck the Levels category. You can repeat tthis for Grids as well.

You need to recreate Elevation, Section, Callout and Drafted views from the Linked project file in the Host file.

Mel Persin, AIA
AEC Technology Consultant
Technology to Visualize and Realize Solutions
MasterGraphics, Inc.
Message 3 of 3
trevorc
in reply to: melarch

In Revit 2014, is this still the case?

Our firm is more and more working with multiple files between multiple firms and we need to be able to show view tags (sections and elevations) from linked files. Having all the documents in a single Revit file isn't possible due to the project scoping. Right now we're working with making dummy tags as annotations that can be seen in a linked view and having our partner firm use those over their sections - which obviously they're not too happy about.

Thanks,

Trevor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report