Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Angled Measure Annotation of Region Edge & Joining Point on Edge Keeping Length

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
666 Views, 3 Replies

Angled Measure Annotation of Region Edge & Joining Point on Edge Keeping Length

Hello there.

I'm an Archicad User and I'm evaluating Revit at the moment as I'm interested in a better integration with other Autodesk products.

I have two questions though that Google and the Docs couldn't answer me.

1- I have an Annotated Region (a polygon), how can I annotate an angled measure of an edge? I've tried the aligned dimension tool and this link: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=7267465&linkID=9243099 didn't help either.

2- What's the proper way to join a point of an edge to another edge without changing the length? (somehow to 'rotate' an edge around one point and 'snap' the other point to another edge). I'm using a circle tool and snapping to intersection at the moment.

Also, I know this isn't the best place to ask, but is Revit worth the change? I mean, i'm completely satisfied with Archicad and so far Revit isn't very intuitive at all and the workflow seems it's never going to be on-par with Archicad, I'm considering the change solely for the fact that Revit may have a much better integration with AutoCAD, AutoCAD MEP, and other Autodesk softwares. Any light on this?

Thank you in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
constantin.stroescu
in reply to: Anonymous

not to sure I undestand you well ....

As i do , I see the following:

1. Select Aligned Dimensions, with the mouse over the first end of the segment , TAB until the intersection point is highlighted - click on it...repeat the opertion with the second end point....the dimension will appear
  2. Make a Detail Line , dimension it as shown above, lock the dimension , rotate the segment (after changing the rotation center to end point A , around this point till the other end snaps to Near Point on the other segment

Image 064.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello Mr. Stroescu. Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, Revit is not working on my desktop machine any longer. It just stopped working suddenly and I've uninstalled it in order to re-install but when I run the installer now it won't install due a "communication failure". The guys from the technical department couldn't get it working also, even after disabling the firewall and antiviruses and connecting this PC directly to an 'open' wifi network. It just refuses to install.

I will try to install it on my personal notebook computer today.

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

Okay, I've managed to install an older version (Revit 2013) with the help of a guy from the tech department and got it working, although it downloads a lot of data from internet (what took hours on my mobile connection... what's wrong with these Autodesk installers? It's almost impossible to try a software) it's working properly now.

The Aligned dimension really works pretty well. However, the line doesn't snaps to the other when I'm rotating it (all snaps are on). Maybe it's because it's the 2013 version? Anyway, making a circle and snapping on the intersection isn't that bad (in fact I find it easier than rotating the line).

Revit seems quite good, however, it seems it's not sold as stand-alone product, you have to acquire a bundle with many other softwares (AutoCAD, AutoCAD Architecture, AutoCAD MEP, AutoCAD Detailing, AutoCAD Raster Design, Showcase, Sketchbook, ReCap, 3Ds Max, Navisworks) and I don't find it a good deal. If there were a Revit-only bundle (with all Revit versions) and maybe some 'Graphical' programs like 3Ds Max and Sketchbook (that we could use eventually (at the moment the Art D. is using Maxon and Adobe Products)) I think our company would consider acquiring it, but I'm not even mentioning it because it's not reasonable in my opinion to buy a bundle with 10 softwares you don't want only because of one.

It seems there's no good alternative for MEP besides Autodesk/DDS/Plancal. I'm going to try another softwares but I think there's no other way to go than outsourcing.

I don't understand though why they don't sell it stand-alone or in moderate bundles. Maybe they want to focus only on really big companies. It's not a very smart move in my opinion though. Anyway, I'm going to stick with my current software because Revit is prohibitive at the moment.

Thank you for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report