Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aligning Problem

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
PhilvK
3973 Views, 7 Replies

Aligning Problem

I have a wall type with a stucco finish on the exterior and gyp. on furring on the interior (#1 on the clip below). From that wall type I created a new wall type with stucco on both sides (#2). My problem is that I want to align the end of the core of the #2 wall to column grid 1, but it will only let me select the finish line on the #2 wall. I can align the #1 wall to the grid, but when I convert it to the #2 wall, it automatically aligns the finish. Does my issue have something to do with how I set up the #2 wall? Is there a different way to set up a wall type where both sides are exterior? The file is also attached.

Thanks,

Phil

Wall Align Issue.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
L.Maas
in reply to: PhilvK

In the second wall you have selected wrapping at ends and set to exterior. This wraps the stucco around the end of the wall. The stucco now becomes the end of the wall. In that case Revit has no snapping to the core layer. So I think a workaround is your only option.

You could for example draw a reference plane and atttach that of the end of your wall. Dimension the reference line to the grid and set it to the thickness of the stucco layer. Then lock the dimension.

Align Wall.png

Lot of work to stick a wall to a grid line?

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 8
PhilvK
in reply to: L.Maas

Thanks Enllnt. I'll just move that wall 7/8" as needed. But, if you can't snap to the core of something that has a wrap all around, does that mean that an exterior concrete column that is finished in stucco can’t be dimensioned to the face of concrete? 

In this particular instance, I'm needing to do this to keep the stucco finish aligned with other portions of the wall not shown in the clip.

Thanks, Phil

Message 4 of 8
PhilvK

Another related problem I am having is not being able to tab through to the face of the cores on my wall types when trying to change them by revising the temporary dimensions. In the clip below, I can’t tab (by selecting the little blue dots) to select the face of the core of the CMU wall where I have placed the red lines. Also, when tabbing through, a dashed line appears that looks like it should be the center of the wall, but it doesn’t look centered. What am I missing here please?

Thanks,

Phil

Tab Blue Dots.JPG

Message 5 of 8
L.Maas

In case of the wall the wrapped around stucco becomes the end of the wall and the core part has no more snapping point and therefore cannot be straightforward dimensioned.

In the case of a column I would approach the issue differently. I would make use of two columns, the center one (structural) and an outer one (architectural)

In that case  you have two separate objects to which you can snap (thus dimension).

This approach you could also take for your wall. Make one wall for your core material and a separate wall for your stucco. Put down your core wall and draw your stucco wall around it.

Louis

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
PhilvK

Thank you!
Message 7 of 8
L.Maas

I do not have problem tabbing through the different options.

Snap Core.png

In the screenshot you can see I added a dimension. Because the wall is not symmetrical you can snap to the wall center line and to the core centerline.

Further before dimensioning you can indicate your preference where to snap to (see list selection in screenshot).

Louis

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
PhilvK

Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report