Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advise: Best way to make my familiy

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
mailbox
473 Views, 4 Replies

Advise: Best way to make my familiy

Hi All

I am new to Revit.

am making a family and I am wondering about the best way to attack it.

It is a lighting fixture that has various combinations for the back housing and front attachments.

The Back housing has 6 options

The Front attachment has 11 options.

I am wondering if I should make individual families based on the front attachments or if there is a clever way of being able to select the back housing required and then via check boxes select the front attachment required.

I have attached the family I have made so far and the product data sheet.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Chris L.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: mailbox

I suggest that the best way is to make a type catalog, since you are going to end up with many possible combinations of this fixture. Also, I would advise to handle those combinations with data, only, as opposed to making actual changes in the model; in other words, you should spend time entering information for each type, instead of modeling the variations of each type. This is because this is a small object, and changes to the actual model won't be too visible in a typical ceiling plan anyway, but the specific data of each fixture is important so that the final user can select and schedule the exact fixture with the exact properties.

If you are not familiar with type catalogs, please refer to the Help documents.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 5
mailbox
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks, that all makes sence.

Does it matter how many families I nest into the final family? Some of the parts that construct this product are used on other products we supply so just wondering if it is ok to put 4 familes into the final one.

Cheers.

Message 4 of 5
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: mailbox

It does matter, in terms of the size of the family. The more nested families, the heavier the final family is. Nesting is necessary for the content creator, though, otherwise, we would have to make every thing from scratch every time we need a component. In this case, however, you might be overmodeling this piece. It´s a small round lighting fixture. Which looks like a circle in the ceiling plans. All the stuff that is above the ceiling is not usually shown, so why should that be modeled in so much detail?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 5
mailbox
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I have reduced the detail for behind the ceiling, the only reason was I took the detail from what we had in CAD already. Thanks for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report