Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adt2204 versus revit

37 REPLIES 37
Message 1 of 38
Anonymous
308 Views, 37 Replies

adt2204 versus revit

Hello all, My company is looking at purchasing revit for the move into 3d modeling. Does anyone have a good comparison of features, ease of use and return on investment on these programs. We are currently using ACAD 2004 and Viz. Thanks, Jon
37 REPLIES 37
Message 21 of 38
JeffreyMcGrew
in reply to: Anonymous

Brian, as stated above: this is a case of someone using ADT who found Revit is not for them, NOT someone who was using Revit and switched to ADT as the post was implying. I wanted to know who was using Revit that then switched to ADT, not someone who looked at Revit while using ADT and who decided not to use Revit, or someone not using either who decided to go with ADT over Revit. At my new job here at the reseller I encounter both, and both have perfectly valid reasons as to why they made their choices.

And Matt, I'm on your side: enough of the !#%!. I was simply wanting to know who Brian was talking about when he said that he knew people that 'went from Revit to ADT'. Turns out that he was talking about people who *tried* Revit and found it wasn't for them, which isn't the same thing. And I misunderstood, thought that Brian was talking about firms that were using Revit and then switched to ADT- of which I haven't heard of one. Have you? I'm all for an end to the mindless evangelism on both sides: use what works best for you and your needs; or on my new end working for a reseller what suits your customer's needs and what suits them best...
Message 22 of 38
Anonymous

Agreed, Jeffrey, my post was not in response to yours, just happened to tag
onto yours 'cause yours was the last one I read.

Do I know of anyone who had never used ADT or AutoCAD and switched from
Revit? I don't think so. I do know of people who were using AutoCAD, tried
Revit and went with ADT afterwards, however.

(And believe it or not, I've actually recommended Revit to a customer or two
who I felt, based on their work type, office culture, etc. - but don't tell
anybody).

--
Matt Dillon
Private Citizen Acting As Such
Message 23 of 38
JeffreyMcGrew

(and I've recommended ADT to a few as well... but don't tell anyone. Different tools for different needs! Ahem to that and enough of the evangelism...)
Message 24 of 38
Anonymous

> (And believe it or not, I've actually recommended Revit to a customer or two > who I felt, based on their work type, office culture, etc. - but don't tell > anybody). > we've got blackmail material against matt there! 😉
Message 25 of 38
Anonymous

Repost for technical reasons - Subject: Re: adt2204 versus revit Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:55:20 -0500 From: "Matt Dillon" Newsgroups: autodesk.revit Agreed, Jeffrey, my post was not in response to yours, just happened to tag onto yours 'cause yours was the last one I read. Do I know of anyone who had never used ADT or AutoCAD and switched from Revit? I don't think so. I do know of people who were using AutoCAD, tried Revit and went with ADT afterwards, however. (And believe it or not, I've actually recommended Revit to a customer or two who I felt, based on their work type, office culture, etc. - but don't tell anybody). -- Matt Dillon Private Citizen Acting As Such "JeffreyMcGrew" wrote in message news:14147541.1082595378752.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Brian, as stated above: this is a case of someone using ADT who found Revit is not for them, NOT someone who was using Revit and switched to ADT as the post was implying. I wanted to know who was using Revit that then switched to ADT, not someone who looked at Revit while using ADT and who decided not to use Revit, or someone not using either who decided to go with ADT over Revit. At my new job here at the reseller I encounter both, and both have perfectly valid reasons as to why they made their choices. > > And Matt, I'm on your side: enough of the !#%!. I was simply wanting to know who Brian was talking about when he said that he knew people that 'went from Revit to ADT'. Turns out that he was talking about people who *tried* Revit and found it wasn't for them, which isn't the same thing. And I misunderstood, thought that Brian was talking about firms that were using Revit and then switched to ADT- of which I haven't heard of one. Have you? I'm all for an end to the mindless evangelism on both sides: use what works best for you and your needs; or on my new end working for a reseller what suits your customer's needs and what suits them best... ================= Subject: Re: adt2204 versus revit Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:20:56 -0700 From: "Scott Davis" Newsgroups: autodesk.revit > (And believe it or not, I've actually recommended Revit to a customer or two > who I felt, based on their work type, office culture, etc. - but don't tell > anybody). > we've got blackmail material against matt there! ;-) JeffreyMcGrew wrote: > > Brian, as stated above: (snip)
Message 26 of 38
Anonymous

You guys got me curious.. for -which- purpose would ADT be better? none - as far as I can think of - none at all! The only reason to advise poepel to use ADt is if they themselves express a fear of using new methods.. don't wanna leave their good old Acad base. I admit it's scary to go from being an ADT guru to a Revit novice, specially when you're senior and young flexible cad-wizz-boys are knockin on your door. This is the main reason that companies don't go Revit imho.. tech personel advising not to - for all the wrong reasons. "Anne Brown" wrote in message news:4087BDDB.68E66701@autodesk.com... > Repost for technical reasons - > > Subject: > Re: adt2204 versus revit > Date: > Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:55:20 -0500 > From: > "Matt Dillon" > Newsgroups: > autodesk.revit > > Agreed, Jeffrey, my post was not in response to yours, just > happened to tag > onto yours 'cause yours was the last one I read. > > Do I know of anyone who had never used ADT or AutoCAD and > switched from > Revit? I don't think so. I do know of people who were using > AutoCAD, tried > Revit and went with ADT afterwards, however. > > (And believe it or not, I've actually recommended Revit to a > customer or two > who I felt, based on their work type, office culture, etc. - but > don't tell > anybody). > > -- > Matt Dillon > Private Citizen Acting As Such > > "JeffreyMcGrew" wrote in message > news:14147541.1082595378752.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > Brian, as stated above: this is a case of someone using ADT who found > Revit is not for them, NOT someone who was using Revit and > switched to ADT > as the post was implying. I wanted to know who was using Revit > that then > switched to ADT, not someone who looked at Revit while using ADT > and who > decided not to use Revit, or someone not using either who decided > to go with > ADT over Revit. At my new job here at the reseller I encounter > both, and > both have perfectly valid reasons as to why they made their > choices. > > > > And Matt, I'm on your side: enough of the !#%!. I was simply wanting to > know who Brian was talking about when he said that he knew people > that 'went > from Revit to ADT'. Turns out that he was talking about people > who *tried* > Revit and found it wasn't for them, which isn't the same thing. > And I > misunderstood, thought that Brian was talking about firms that > were using > Revit and then switched to ADT- of which I haven't heard of one. > Have you? > I'm all for an end to the mindless evangelism on both sides: use > what works > best for you and your needs; or on my new end working for a > reseller what > suits your customer's needs and what suits them best... > > ================= > Subject: > Re: adt2204 versus revit > Date: > Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:20:56 -0700 > From: > "Scott Davis" > Newsgroups: > autodesk.revit > > > (And believe it or not, I've actually recommended Revit to a customer or > two > > who I felt, based on their work type, office culture, etc. - but don't > tell > > anybody). > > > > we've got blackmail material against matt there! ;-) > > JeffreyMcGrew wrote: > > > > Brian, as stated above: (snip)
Message 27 of 38
Anonymous

You've also got me curious - why the anonymous handle and return email address? Tends to reduce credibility in a huge way, IMO. Fear can sometimes be a reason to not adopt something new. But not always. As for myself, I've gone from "Novice" to (I prefer the term) "Proficient" on so many products and technologies in the last 20 years that one more journey hardly intimidates me. As for being "senior", just wait, you young whippersnapper - you'll be "senior" before you can say "where'd I put my Geritol?" Most of my customers who have tried Revit and chosen not to do so haven't declined out of fear. They've declined because it did not fit their internal processes, structure and culture. They made the judgement, on their own, not on some "flawed" advice from some "tech personnel", based on the cost of moving their entire office to the paradigm presented by Revit vs. the cost of evolving toward the paradigm using an AutoCAD-based technology. You would be wise, youngster , to learn from lessons of the past. I could take your "fear of using new methods" statement, change one or two words and interject it right into one of my posts concerning a new product called "ADT". In the years since ADT was released I've learned that the reasons people don't migrate en masse to a new technology frequently have absolutely nothing to do with the technology itself, but the process changes that it will involve to utilize it to it's best advantage. But, Grasshoppah, youth is headstrong... Now... where'd I put my Depends... -- Matt Dillon Private Citizen "nono"
wrote in message news:4087d2d4$1_1@newsprd01... > You guys got me curious.. > for -which- purpose would ADT be better? none - as far as I can think of - > none at all! > The only reason to advise poepel to use ADt is if they themselves express a > fear of using new methods.. don't wanna leave their good old Acad base. I > admit it's scary to go from being an ADT guru to a Revit novice, specially > when you're senior and young flexible cad-wizz-boys are knockin on your > door. This is the main reason that companies don't go Revit imho.. tech > personel advising not to - for all the wrong reasons. > > "Anne Brown" wrote in message > news:4087BDDB.68E66701@autodesk.com... > > Repost for technical reasons - > > > > Subject: > > Re: adt2204 versus revit > > Date: > > Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:55:20 -0500 > > From: > > "Matt Dillon" > > Newsgroups: > > autodesk.revit > > > > Agreed, Jeffrey, my post was not in response to yours, just > > happened to tag > > onto yours 'cause yours was the last one I read. > > > > Do I know of anyone who had never used ADT or AutoCAD and > > switched from > > Revit? I don't think so. I do know of people who were using > > AutoCAD, tried > > Revit and went with ADT afterwards, however. > > > > (And believe it or not, I've actually recommended Revit to a > > customer or two > > who I felt, based on their work type, office culture, etc. - but > > don't tell > > anybody). > > > > -- > > Matt Dillon > > Private Citizen Acting As Such > > > > "JeffreyMcGrew" wrote in message > > news:14147541.1082595378752.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > Brian, as stated above: this is a case of someone using ADT who found > > Revit is not for them, NOT someone who was using Revit and > > switched to ADT > > as the post was implying. I wanted to know who was using Revit > > that then > > switched to ADT, not someone who looked at Revit while using ADT > > and who > > decided not to use Revit, or someone not using either who decided > > to go with > > ADT over Revit. At my new job here at the reseller I encounter > > both, and > > both have perfectly valid reasons as to why they made their > > choices. > > > > > > And Matt, I'm on your side: enough of the !#%!. I was simply wanting to > > know who Brian was talking about when he said that he knew people > > that 'went > > from Revit to ADT'. Turns out that he was talking about people > > who *tried* > > Revit and found it wasn't for them, which isn't the same thing. > > And I > > misunderstood, thought that Brian was talking about firms that > > were using > > Revit and then switched to ADT- of which I haven't heard of one. > > Have you? > > I'm all for an end to the mindless evangelism on both sides: use > > what works > > best for you and your needs; or on my new end working for a > > reseller what > > suits your customer's needs and what suits them best... > > > > ================= > > Subject: > > Re: adt2204 versus revit > > Date: > > Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:20:56 -0700 > > From: > > "Scott Davis" > > Newsgroups: > > autodesk.revit > > > > > (And believe it or not, I've actually recommended Revit to a customer or > > two > > > who I felt, based on their work type, office culture, etc. - but don't > > tell > > > anybody). > > > > > > > we've got blackmail material against matt there! ;-) > > > > JeffreyMcGrew wrote: > > > > > > Brian, as stated above: (snip) > >
Message 28 of 38
Anonymous

Matt, you can sometimes be downright hilarious. But even amongst your amusing rhetoric you always have valid points. It is very easy to gauge your industry knowledge and experience from other Steve "Dude, I'm getting a Dell" wannabe's statements. Surf's up Dude I gotta go get my draft on! 🙂
Message 29 of 38
Anonymous

This thread was basically started by my responding to lurky comments made by Jeff42, who can be reached at nospam@address.withheld Perhaps had I not replied because he is an obvious lurker/baiter (his username shows up neither on the ADT or Autocad ng) we would all have been better off. But at least we KNOW is name is Jeff. Nobody would lie about that. nono has a history of posting here. ;) Not trying to start a new flame, but why don't we just address the issues, and leave the red herrings out of it. "Matt Dillon" wrote in message news:4087df41$1_1@newsprd01... > You've also got me curious - why the anonymous handle and return email > address? Tends to reduce credibility in a huge way, IMO. > > Fear can sometimes be a reason to not adopt something new. But not always. > As for myself, I've gone from "Novice" to (I prefer the term) "Proficient" > on so many products and technologies in the last 20 years that one more > journey hardly intimidates me. As for being "senior", just wait, you young > whippersnapper - you'll be "senior" before you can say "where'd I put my > Geritol?" > > Most of my customers who have tried Revit and chosen not to do so haven't > declined out of fear. They've declined because it did not fit their internal > processes, structure and culture. They made the judgement, on their own, not > on some "flawed" advice from some "tech personnel", based on the cost of > moving their entire office to the paradigm presented by Revit vs. the cost > of evolving toward the paradigm using an AutoCAD-based technology. > > You would be wise, youngster , to learn from lessons of the past. I could > take your "fear of using new methods" statement, change one or two words > and interject it right into one of my posts concerning a new product > called "ADT". In the years since ADT was released I've learned that the > reasons people don't migrate en masse to a new technology frequently have > absolutely nothing to do with the technology itself, but the process changes > that it will involve to utilize it to it's best advantage. > > But, Grasshoppah, youth is headstrong... > > Now... where'd I put my Depends... > -- > Matt Dillon > Private Citizen > > > "nono"
wrote in message news:4087d2d4$1_1@newsprd01... > > You guys got me curious.. > > for -which- purpose would ADT be better? none - as far as I can think of - > > none at all! > > The only reason to advise poepel to use ADt is if they themselves express > a > > fear of using new methods.. don't wanna leave their good old Acad base. I > > admit it's scary to go from being an ADT guru to a Revit novice, specially > > when you're senior and young flexible cad-wizz-boys are knockin on your > > door. This is the main reason that companies don't go Revit imho.. tech > > personel advising not to - for all the wrong reasons. > > > > "Anne Brown" wrote in message > > news:4087BDDB.68E66701@autodesk.com... > > > Repost for technical reasons - > > > > > > Subject: > > > Re: adt2204 versus revit > > > Date: > > > Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:55:20 -0500 > > > From: > > > "Matt Dillon" > > > Newsgroups: > > > autodesk.revit > > > > > > Agreed, Jeffrey, my post was not in response to yours, just > > > happened to tag > > > onto yours 'cause yours was the last one I read. > > > > > > Do I know of anyone who had never used ADT or AutoCAD and > > > switched from > > > Revit? I don't think so. I do know of people who were using > > > AutoCAD, tried > > > Revit and went with ADT afterwards, however. > > > > > > (And believe it or not, I've actually recommended Revit to a > > > customer or two > > > who I felt, based on their work type, office culture, etc. - but > > > don't tell > > > anybody). > > > > > > -- > > > Matt Dillon > > > Private Citizen Acting As Such > > > > > > "JeffreyMcGrew" wrote in message > > > news:14147541.1082595378752.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > > Brian, as stated above: this is a case of someone using ADT who found > > > Revit is not for them, NOT someone who was using Revit and > > > switched to ADT > > > as the post was implying. I wanted to know who was using Revit > > > that then > > > switched to ADT, not someone who looked at Revit while using ADT > > > and who > > > decided not to use Revit, or someone not using either who decided > > > to go with > > > ADT over Revit. At my new job here at the reseller I encounter > > > both, and > > > both have perfectly valid reasons as to why they made their > > > choices. > > > > > > > > And Matt, I'm on your side: enough of the !#%!. I was simply wanting > to > > > know who Brian was talking about when he said that he knew people > > > that 'went > > > from Revit to ADT'. Turns out that he was talking about people > > > who *tried* > > > Revit and found it wasn't for them, which isn't the same thing. > > > And I > > > misunderstood, thought that Brian was talking about firms that > > > were using > > > Revit and then switched to ADT- of which I haven't heard of one. > > > Have you? > > > I'm all for an end to the mindless evangelism on both sides: use > > > what works > > > best for you and your needs; or on my new end working for a > > > reseller what > > > suits your customer's needs and what suits them best... > > > > > > ================= > > > Subject: > > > Re: adt2204 versus revit > > > Date: > > > Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:20:56 -0700 > > > From: > > > "Scott Davis" > > > Newsgroups: > > > autodesk.revit > > > > > > > (And believe it or not, I've actually recommended Revit to a customer > or > > > two > > > > who I felt, based on their work type, office culture, etc. - but don't > > > tell > > > > anybody). > > > > > > > > > > we've got blackmail material against matt there! ;-) > > > > > > JeffreyMcGrew wrote: > > > > > > > > Brian, as stated above: (snip) > > > > > >
Message 30 of 38
Anonymous

Greg, grow up "dude". I got nothing to hide behind so here is my email address if that makes you happy (cjdtwn@juno.com) and I live in Dallas if you wanna stop by anytime and continue this conversation. The ADT discussion group is constantly bombarded by Revit "lurkers" and obviously you cannot take the heat when it is turned back around on you. These have all been good debates and discussions. Possibly you can't stand but to make it personal or maybe you are insecure that my discussion groups and threads are bigger than yours. Otherwise, why be afraid of a discussion and other opinions unless you are fearful yourself. I support the growth and betterment of both products b/c I know increases for either help everybody in the long run and the products are technically on the same team. I'm done talking to you as this is not what this forum is or should be used for. Cheers, Jeff
Message 31 of 38
JeffreyMcGrew

Jeff, what lurkers are those? Every time I've posted in the ADT newsgroup it was to answer valid questions regarding Revit that popped up there. If anything it's been the Revit newsgroup bombarded by 'lurkers' to the point that most Revit heavy's would rather post on Zoog than here because of the issant bitch-fest that seems to be a weekly occurrence here. It's very sad but true. At least I know I walked away form this forum for that very reason, and just now have decided to start posting here again to help those that might not know of Zoog's revit site.... And right off the bat I'm having to debate misleading statements made by non-revit users. This is stupid. You're whole 'if you can't take the heat' business is just sad. Newsgroups aren't real life, and don't represent the viability or marketshare of a product. I know we all care a lot about what we do and what we know, but let's all get a grip- this is a technical forum, and for those that can't leave it to that should really find something better to do with there time.
Message 32 of 38
treywood

Jon,
You've probably already made your decision, But I'd like to share my firm's experience with those who might have an interest in this subject.

I own a small 6 person firm and have been practicing for 20 years. I began the practice with an Intergraph PDP11-23 and two workstations running the precursor to Bentley. These stations set me back $120k. I had to rum them 3 shifts and primarily used them for plans while hand drawing the balance of the CD packages. Sometime around 1986 we began to purchase 286-10 Dells and AutoCAD. We upgraded at every opportunity and became an AutoCAD shop by 1989. As soon as ADT arrived, we jumped in and continued to follow the promise that Autodesk offered through ADT.

Then I became aware that ADT was to be "replaced" by Revit. In early 2003, I decided that my firm faced a considerable learning curve with ADT and I wondered how much more learning curve would be required to undertake Revit or Archicad or ?... I began my research and finally determined that the learning curve with Revit was in the same ballpark as that I knew I was looking at in ADT. Furthermore, I decided that the "weight" and commitment of Autodesk behind Revit looked like a better bet than Archicad...so on a single day in October of 2003, the entire firm switched to Revit. 30 days later, we published our first job, a renovation and expansion to an ER complete with multiple phases and 3d realtime reviews with our Owner.

We are now a Revit shop. I am convinced Revit is a better "mousetrap" and believe the entire industry will be using some future iteration of a BIM product within 5 years.

Yes, after working with Autodesk products for 18 years, Revit was INITIALLY difficult. It did not make sense. It did not match my work patterns. At times, it was very aggravating for all of us. I had to learn new ways to approach the job at hand and the same was true for all of my staff. During the first few months, we placed many calls to Revit's support staff who were most helpful and grew to know us by name.

A couple of points really stand out after using it for 8 months. First, the clients LOVE it. Displaying their project to them in 3d cross sections of the plan showing "real" doors, walls, cabinetry, etc. is sexy. They can understand and relate to the images. We hear the same comment over and over: " I really like that 3d stuff..."

Second, the program is without question, easier to learn than ADT especially for the less experienced staff.

Third, we spend much more time designing and much less time worrying about the mechanics of the CDs. The reference bubbles/symbols are correct, as is the scale and the plans, elevations and sections MATCH.

Fourth, the program allows us to produce better contract documents. A natural consequence of designing a single 3d entity is a better set of documents. We get fewer questions during the bidding phase.

Lastly, it seems to me, from my experience, that the question is not whether to "do" BIM but which BIM to adopt. If Autodesk will stay the course, Revit will continue to mature as will our understanding of the product.

We must learn to use new programs. I have two decades left in my career and have no illusions about the fact that I will have to learn many new tricks along the way. Ask yourself this question: "Two to five years from now, what set of skills will most benefit your firm... ADT, REVIT, Archicad?" The answer to this question is the crux of the matter.

Jon, You may buy Revit for modeling, but I doubt you will only use it for that purpose.

That's my two cents,

Trey Wood, AIA
Message 33 of 38
Anonymous

Hello all,

I am a designer with a company in Scotland who deals with curtain walling and rainscreen systems, ALL of our projects are done using LT......that is until Revit and Adt were demo'd and trialed.

The company is now investing in Revit, WHY?

They feel that to go to ADt then Revit would be twice the learning curve and therefore makes no business sense at all.Having just finished college (mature student) I can use both well enough and would happily used which ever package was provided.

It's a case of will Revit do what we need it to do? To answer this we will need to invest a lot of time building up custom libraries and parametric families and creating detailed schedules,for our company that is where I see Revit,s strengths.

It's true that all cad packeges have certain limitations, we as users simply find a way around them.

Roy
Message 34 of 38
Anonymous

Roy, Glad to hear that your company is taking the time to trial and evaluate each product and come to an informed desision based on your needs and company culture. This is an important step in moving from 2d tools to solutions that support Building Information Modeling. Revit and ADT are both very capable. Both applications have pretty robust curtain wall tools, as I'm sure you saw in your demo and in the trial peroids for both applications. Can you elaborate on your business and what you will be using Revit for? Does your company manufacture curtain wall systems and work with builders, architects and engineers? If so, there are other firms similar to yours already using Revit. They have found efficincies in steps like shop-drawing creation, quatification, detailing and construction feasability analysis. They also use Revit's parametric family editor to build custom content for later re-use. Are you looking for a tool to automate document creation and give you accurate quantities and details? If so, Revit will help you in the same ways it helps architects and engineers. While Revit is not purpose built for manufacturing, the information you create by modeling is pretty valuable and transferable. We also know of builders that take 2d dwgs from architects/engineers and build Revit models on top of them. They have found it's worth it, simply for the time-savings in estimating and construction sequencing work, to build accurate models. Does this help at all? Could you email me some sample drawings of what your company typically produces? Thanks, matt jezyk autodesk revit "prof" wrote in message news:6744831.1091092271251.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Hello all, > > I am a designer with a company in Scotland who deals with curtain walling and rainscreen systems, ALL of our projects are done using LT......that is until Revit and Adt were demo'd and trialed. > > The company is now investing in Revit, WHY? > > They feel that to go to ADt then Revit would be twice the learning curve and therefore makes no business sense at all.Having just finished college (mature student) I can use both well enough and would happily used which ever package was provided. > > It's a case of will Revit do what we need it to do? To answer this we will need to invest a lot of time building up custom libraries and parametric families and creating detailed schedules,for our company that is where I see Revit,s strengths. > > It's true that all cad packeges have certain limitations, we as users simply find a way around them. > > Roy
Message 35 of 38
Anonymous

Hi Matt,

We don't manufacture components, these are bought in from the likes of Corus, Ward and Sotech to name but a few

We work with Architects and steel contractors, generally we are given 2D drawings from these disciplines we then detail our roofing and walling systems from these.

We are testing Revit to speed up and increase accuracy in the scheduling and procurement and detailing activities.

as a company it would be very helpful to be able to import a 3d structural steel layout from both Strucad and XSteel, whether this is possible or not I do not know, but I'm working on it.

If this was possible we could then build the wall and roof systems onto the frame directly then produce our schedules, procurements and working drawings from the model.
As this is presently done in 2D you can imagine the amount of work it entails.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has any experience in this field as any help or guidance would be well received.

Roy
Message 36 of 38
infokravit

My firm is just now testing Revit. We are a 9 person office using ADT 2004. We have been an ACAD shop since release 2.1! in the 1980's.

I am confused, in the evaluation copy I can not find anything that will draw mechanical, plumbing. electrical elements. Also, there are very few furniture items such as desks, chairs, modular furniture, etc.

Am I missing something?
It seems like Revit is a very young, and limited program.

Someone tell me I am wrong. We are seriously considering upgrading from ADT.

Mike
Message 37 of 38
Anonymous

There is a good chunk of the MEP content that come with Revit, and more available for download at the Revit content site, AUGI, and at Revit City. But Revit is not an MEP program...yet. Don't expect Revit to do full-blown MEP design at this point. There are also furniture items that you mentioned avaiable..did you download the evaluation copy, or get it from the CD? If you downloaded, did you download all the content, too? Yes, you are missing something. Although Revit is a young program (5 years or so now) it is not limited. You can do anything in Revit that you can do in almost any other CAD/BIm software. If you are evalutating Revit solely on the basis of 'how much content comes with it' then it will probably never meet your needs. There are a lot of families that come with it, but obviously the developement team is focusing on the software...not producing furniture. The users are supposed to create the content as they need it. I invite you to check out the Forums at www.augi.com, especially the Revit area. Thi is the best resource for people to answer any questions you night have. If there is something you can't find, (a chair, electrical symbol, etc.) chances are, someone at the forums has it and will share it with you. If your firm has been using AutoCAD for so long, after learning Revit, you will probably dread doing any work 'the old way.' Your firm may also want to look into buying Revit Series, where Revit and AutoCAD (vanilla) are bundled together for a major discount. Revit 7.0 is expected around the end of 2004. "infokravit" wrote in message news:12555636.1091656411459.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > My firm is just now testing Revit. We are a 9 person office using ADT 2004. We have been an ACAD shop since release 2.1! in the 1980's. > > I am confused, in the evaluation copy I can not find anything that will draw mechanical, plumbing. electrical elements. Also, there are very few furniture items such as desks, chairs, modular furniture, etc. > > Am I missing something? > It seems like Revit is a very young, and limited program. > > Someone tell me I am wrong. We are seriously considering upgrading from ADT. > > Mike
Message 38 of 38
johnsonwwd

I feel exactly the same way as Brian. A/E industry involves so many different professions, and it's unrealistic and almost impossible have a single program and single database do everything - 2D, 3D, graphics, and data. But there's one way Autodesk can make this possible - Squeeze other companies out of the market and make Revit the only choice left.
I'm not saying Revit is not a good program, actually I've tried it and was really amazed by some of its feathures. I just don't feel it's not as handy as other tools in my hand.
BTW, has version 9.0 been announced already?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report