Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Dimension Witness Line

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
davidwilliamedwards
3232 Views, 5 Replies

Adding Dimension Witness Line

We have one project were we can't add new witness lines to a dimension. We've checked it being pinned, Workset, etc. and can't find a reason for this. If you select Edit Witness Line, hovering over a most objects (including grid lines) won't highline them.

Any clues???

David William Edwards
Dave Edwards Consulting
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Please respond to the following:

1. What version of Revit are you using?

2. Do you have links?

3. Are your dimensions in the links, or going between the host and links models?

4. Do you have Design Options? Check to insure that your dimensions are not in an options.

5. Could you ever edit the dimensions?

Thanks for posting.

Message 3 of 6

1. What version of Revit are you using?

2. Do you have links?

Yes

3. Are your dimensions in the links, or going between the host and links models?

No - dimensions are in the model addressing model objects.

4. Do you have Design Options? Check to insure that your dimensions are not in an options.

No Design Options

5. Could you ever edit the dimensions?

Yes - that Witness Lines can be moved - the dimensions can be deleted, but Witness Lines cannot be added except to the Door Frames. No other objects even highlight - especially Column Lines.

David William Edwards
Dave Edwards Consulting
Message 4 of 6

What happens if you add a new dimension string, can you edit it after, does it work as expected?

If you upgrade the project to 11, 12 or 13 will the existing dimension work as expected, can you edit them?

Is upgrading an option?

I could create an internal case for file upload, but since this is 2010 I'm guessing that a later version will address the issue.

Thank you, 

Message 5 of 6

What happens if you add a new dimension string, can you edit it after, does it work as expected?

New dimensions work correctly.

If you upgrade the project to 11, 12 or 13 will the existing dimension work as expected, can you edit them? Is upgrading an option?

I mistyped - this is version 2012.

I could create an internal case for file upload, but since this is 2010 I'm guessing that a later version will address the issue.

Sorry but the file is too large and C/P a piece into another project shows an error on the Dimension and they delete.

David William Edwards
Dave Edwards Consulting
Message 6 of 6

If the new dimension string works and continues to work I suggest moving forward with that. Items in Revit can go South and become corrupt for many reasons and this includes dimensions strings.

Even in 2012 if the dim string were to work in 2013 development would not address code in 2012 assuming a code fix was required.

If this new dim string works and you're happy with it let call it a day and close this one out. Thanks,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report