Revit Architecture

Revit Architecture

Distinguished Contributor
kwg06516
Message 1 of 7 (481 Views)
Accepted Solution

adding consultant parameters to a titleblock?

481 Views, 6 Replies
02-10-2014 11:19 AM

I want to add parameters to my projects for consultants (type, name, company name, address, etc.) in a way that isn't deleted by updating a titleblock.

Currently my consultants are just text objects in the titleblock family that are not saved back to a default titleblock.  If I reload the titleblock they get replaced by whatever default text was part of the default titleblock.  I also have different titleblocks for different sheet types within the project, for example cover sheet, sheet, sketch, etc.  

What I want is for this information to be part of the Project Information so I can make changes there without editing the titleblock family.  I want them to function like the parameters for Client Name, Project Address, etc. and catagorize them in some generic way like Consultant A, Consultant B, etc. because not every project will have civil engineer or sprinkler designer.  

I got as far as trying to create a lable in my titleblock family but when I tried to add a Category Parameter for the first lable, let's call it Consultant A Type, I get a mostly grayed out Parameter Properties dialog where the only clickable option is to select a Parameter Type, all of which are grouped under IFC Propertires and non of which seem to apply.  There's no Project Information group.  How do I create these lables and parameters?

AutoCAD 2010

AutoCAD 2015

Revit 2015

First, create shared parameters (as text). Then add labels to the titleblock family using those shared parameters. In your projects, create Project Parameters based on those shared parameters; make them by type, applying to the Project Information category. Finally, to enter the information in the labels, either enter the information directly in the titleblock itself, or go to Manage > Project Information.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 2 of 7 (458 Views)

Re: adding consultant parameters to a titleblock?

02-10-2014 12:42 PM in reply to: kwg06516

First, create shared parameters (as text). Then add labels to the titleblock family using those shared parameters. In your projects, create Project Parameters based on those shared parameters; make them by type, applying to the Project Information category. Finally, to enter the information in the labels, either enter the information directly in the titleblock itself, or go to Manage > Project Information.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
kwg06516
Message 3 of 7 (437 Views)

02-10-2014 04:20 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina
Ok. Next question, how do I make a text parameter multiline? I don't mean by hitting Ctrl Enter when entering the text.

How do you make it multiline the way the Address parameter is in the Project Parameter dialog (Grey button that says Edit)?

AutoCAD 2010

AutoCAD 2015

Revit 2015

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 4 of 7 (427 Views)

02-10-2014 06:41 PM in reply to: kwg06516

That window for typing the Project Address is a feature of the Project Information dialog box. It's not a setting that we can "apply" to other labels.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
kwg06516
Message 5 of 7 (419 Views)

02-10-2014 08:59 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

But these are Project Information fields.  Nevermind, there's a more important problem.

Why am I getting two different orders for the same set of parameters?

right order.PNG

Under Project Parameters they are organized alphabetically.

123 321.PNG

But in the Project Properties consultant B's parameters are reversed from the order I entered them in.

Also, you said 

Alfredo_Medina wrote:

make them by type, applying to the Project Information category.

When set to 'Type' there is no Project Information category.  That category only appears when Instance is selected.

AutoCAD 2010

AutoCAD 2015

Revit 2015

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 6 of 7 (413 Views)

02-10-2014 10:45 PM in reply to: kwg06516

Do not ever worry about the sorting of parameters in Revit. It has never been right. :smileyhappy:

About type or instance for Project Information,  you are correct. What I typed above "by heart", was incorrect. It is by instance.

kwg06516
Message 7 of 7 (389 Views)

02-11-2014 12:35 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo_Medina wrote:

Do not ever worry about the sorting of parameters in Revit. It has never been right. 

Well that's just going to mess me up.  Sometimes I have up to five consultants on a job.  Is there really no way to fix it?

AutoCAD 2010

AutoCAD 2015

Revit 2015

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.