Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding constraints in family relative to hosted wall's faces

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mechitar
3047 Views, 3 Replies

Adding constraints in family relative to hosted wall's faces

I'm creating a door family where the door frame will extend out 1/4" from both the interior and and exterior faces of the hosted wall, regardless of the wall's thickness.  I can't figure out a way to create the necessary constraints in the family editor, because I can't snap to the host wall's faces (Revit doesn't let me); I can only snap to the wall centerline.  How do I do this?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Read up on "Reporting Parameters".
Message 3 of 4
josh
in reply to: mechitar

You can snap to the host wall faces by using TAB while hovering over the wall face. It should read a dialog in the bottom left hand corner something along the lines of Walls: Basic Walls: Wall 1: Reference. 

I had a wall hosted opening, and ran an extrusion along the bottom of it, I aligned and locked it to the edge of this reference and now it follows the outside face of the wall regardless of the thickness.

Message 4 of 4
gustavomello
in reply to: mechitar

I think the best practice here is to align to reference planes instead of geometry. The door template comes with two reference planes locked to both interior and exterior wall faces, so they always will be aligned to them even when the width of the host wall is different. All you have to do is to create new ref planes, parallel to the original ones, and create label dimensions between the new and the original planes to control the distance from the geometry faces. Then you align and lock the geometry of the door frames to these planes.

Gustavo

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report