Revit Architecture

Revit Architecture

Contributor
mechitar
Message 1 of 4 (454 Views)

Adding constraints in family relative to hosted wall's faces

454 Views, 3 Replies
01-23-2014 08:23 AM

I'm creating a door family where the door frame will extend out 1/4" from both the interior and and exterior faces of the hosted wall, regardless of the wall's thickness.  I can't figure out a way to create the necessary constraints in the family editor, because I can't snap to the host wall's faces (Revit doesn't let me); I can only snap to the wall centerline.  How do I do this?

Mentor
conormccartney3897
Message 2 of 4 (443 Views)

Re: Adding constraints in family relative to hosted wall's faces

01-23-2014 09:01 AM in reply to: mechitar
Read up on "Reporting Parameters".
Contributor
josh
Message 3 of 4 (420 Views)

01-23-2014 10:02 AM in reply to: mechitar

You can snap to the host wall faces by using TAB while hovering over the wall face. It should read a dialog in the bottom left hand corner something along the lines of Walls: Basic Walls: Wall 1: Reference. 

I had a wall hosted opening, and ran an extrusion along the bottom of it, I aligned and locked it to the edge of this reference and now it follows the outside face of the wall regardless of the thickness.

Valued Contributor
gustavomello
Message 4 of 4 (396 Views)

01-24-2014 03:47 AM in reply to: mechitar

I think the best practice here is to align to reference planes instead of geometry. The door template comes with two reference planes locked to both interior and exterior wall faces, so they always will be aligned to them even when the width of the host wall is different. All you have to do is to create new ref planes, parallel to the original ones, and create label dimensions between the new and the original planes to control the distance from the geometry faces. Then you align and lock the geometry of the door frames to these planes.

Gustavo

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!