Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding area type ?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
15485 Views, 9 Replies

Adding area type ?

Hi all.

Here's a simple question (Maybe):

When doing area plans, there is a pull down list allowing you to classify area by type:

major vertical penetration,
office area,
etc.

Is it possible to ass area type to the pulldown list like:

medical office
public space

or anything that you need.

Thanks all!
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Long answer short, NO! I haven't found a way to create additional Area Types for either Gross or Rentable. I have look at the area tag and it provides no template for creating an area tag.rft When I opened the area tag to edit already loaded in the project, I do not see a way to create additional area types. In HELP it states that Area Type values come from the Default area schemes. It further states that there are 2 Area Types for Cross and 6 Area Types for Rentable. That suggests to me the Area Types are a parameter setup for each of these as a project setting.

Area Types

Area types are an instance property of area tags. Area types contain area measurement rules that Revit Architecture applies to area boundaries. See Area Type Rules.

Area type values come from the default area schemes: Gross Building and Rentable. The Gross Building area scheme has 2 area type values: Gross Building Area, and Exterior Area. The Rentable Area scheme has 6 type values: building common area, office area, exterior area, floor area, major vertical penetration, and store area.

When you create a new area scheme, it uses the type values from the Rentable area scheme. See Area Schemes.

Gross Building Area Types Definition and Examples
Gross Building Area The total constructed area of a building. It is any area inside the outer face of the building's exterior walls.
Exterior Area Any area outside the outer face of a building's external walls, for example, an exterior courtyard enclosed by 4 walls.
Rentable Area Types Definition and Examples
Building Common Area Lobbies, atriums, conference rooms, lounges, vending area, security desks, concierge areas, food service facilities, health or fitness centers, day care facilities, locker or shower facilities, and mail rooms.
Office Area Area where a tenant normally houses personnel, furniture, or both.
Exterior Area Any area outside the external walls of a building.
Floor Area Washrooms, janitorial closets, electrical rooms, telephone rooms, mechanical rooms, elevator lobbies, public corridors, and other areas that are available primarily for the use of the tenants on that floor.
Major Vertical Penetration Stairs, elevator shafts, flues, pipe shafts, vertical ducts, and their enclosing walls.
Store Area Area of an office building suitable for retail occupancy.

Mel Persin, AIA
AEC Technology Consultant
Technology to Visualize and Realize Solutions
MasterGraphics, Inc.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Hope this issue will be resolved in the next revit release 🙂
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Those are hard coded and following the BOMA rules. I agree that it would be nice to have the ability to add more but hey ... you got shared parameter 😉
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Then ADSK should sell Revit to BOMA people!!!
In Greece we have completely different kind of areas and ALSO A DIFFERENT
LANGUAGE!!!
So, I believe that all these parameters should be fully changable and
multilingual and this should happen from the first ADSK release!
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

I can't help with the language (Is there a Greek version? ) but you can always use shared parameter for area style.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Or a project parameter that applies to Areas.

--
Jeff Hanson
Autodesk - AEC Technical Publications
Manchester, NH
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Although these are based on BOMA for commercial, there are also BOMA standards for Residential.  They should offer a Residential scheme and an Office/Commercial scheme based on the terminology BOMA uses.  I am working on a mixed use commercial/residential project and can't find a good name for my residential tenant spaces other than "OFFICE AREA".  This is disappointing.

Message 9 of 10
DmetcalfGHY4B

Consider we have mixed use buildings of both housing and commercial retail ground and offices above with multi family at upper levels. Then there are some theater as assembly areas too.

Message 10 of 10
Shreyankhs

I found this video suitable to answer the query, let me know if it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImKbBhamNGM

-Shreyank H S

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report