Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive points to control a circle

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
timandjo
2870 Views, 12 Replies

Adaptive points to control a circle

IHave been trying to figure out how to set 2 adaptive points (AP) to control the position and diameter of a circle. Have tried setting a ref plane driven by circle dia param but justs results in overconstrain when flexed. Is it possible to a) lock the centre to an AP and lock redius to AP?

Is it possible also to lock a ref plane to an AP so that the AP drives it rather than the other way round?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: timandjo

Don't worry about locking to reference planes. Reference planes are necessary when working with reference points (the black dots), but not when working with adaptive points (AP) (the blue ones).

• Place AP1
  • Place AP2
  • Create an aligned dimension from the dot of AP1 to the dot of AP2
  • Convert that dimension into an instance reporting parameter, such as "r_report"
  • Set the horizontal plane of AP 1 as the current workplane.
  • Create a circle with center at the dot of AP1 and any radius.
  • Create a radial dimension to control the circle.
  • Make that dimension be a length instance parameter, such as "r"
  • In the Family Types window, set r = r_report
  • Load into project.
  • Now, the position of the circle and the radius of it is driven by the two APs provided by the user.

12-3-2012 9-01-06 AM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 13
dcormack

Thanks works OK now in the adaptive template with circle flexing. But cannot get both points to load adaptively. Have tried some geometry in a adaptive template and conceptual mass. In both an adaptive triangle works OK being fully adaptive. But the adaptive circle only snaps to 1 point with the other adaptive point "dead". Attached rfa with both working adaptive triangle also in the file.  What am I missing?

Message 4 of 13
Alfredo_Medina

It's not clear to me what you are trying to do, but at least your first question about a circle with two adaptve points works correctly as shown in my previous post.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 13
dcormack
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

What I hope can happen is that the circle will follow 2 paths (eg splines) with the adaptive points following those paths. Then create solid in the way you can with polygons arrayed along a path.

Message 6 of 13
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: dcormack

Sorry, I don't understand exactly what you are trying to do. If I read again your original question in this thread, I see that post # 2 is responding exactly to that question. What you say now is different from the original post.

Message 7 of 13
dcormack

Yes post 2 answers the question about how to get the adaptive points flexing the circle and yes I am now able to do this following your posted instructions. However I then want to progress this adaptive family hosted on some geometry so that the geometry then flexes it. What is happening is one adaptive point, either the centroid or circumfrence (depending whether labelled 1 or 2) is hosted OK but the second point will not snap onto a host. If I grab this point it moves without flexing the circle.

An example solid form will be cylindrical following a spline path with the variable circles arrayed along the centre path. A second spline path on the perimeter then flexes the circle diameters - a very fat snake of circular section that has just eaten an animal whole!  

Message 8 of 13
Alfredo_Medina

Ah, OK...let me see if I understand. Are you doing this with the Divide & Repeat command?

Message 9 of 13

Or creating a form with several circles along a path? In that case, the circles don't need to be adaptive. You could control the radius of each crcle with simple parameters.

Message 10 of 13

Like this:

12-4-2012 6-22-07 PM.jpg

Message 11 of 13
Ricardo-Maturana

Use reference lines for both, then select them and create solid. You can as parameters and you are set. I did a water slide this way. I drew a 3d spline with circular sections. I did have to add a section at each control point of the spline. Ricardo A. Maturana Twitter: @rmaturana
Message 12 of 13
dcormack

Yes that works OK for me now. Divide and repeat doesnt seem to work other than arraying unfiorm circe instances. But inserting with an instance radius param does and then manually repeat instances. Cannot figure out who to control the path - Edit proile finds a profile with grip nodes but comes up with "regeneration failure" as soon as apply is attempted. Add profile seems to add some bizare contortions.

Message 13 of 13
Alfredo_Medina

There is a way in which Divide & Repeat can use different sizes of the repeater, and there are ways to control the path of the snake with adaptive points as well. It just requires more work, but it is possible. But if you want a smooth transition between the profiles, what I showed in my previous illustration works well, using profiles and a path. The other method with Divide & Repeat and different sizes will not create a continuous smooth form, but it will just repeat items without a transition between the items.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report