Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive Component System

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
GREMMELS87
327 Views, 5 Replies

Adaptive Component System

Just getting into adaptive components and looking for some guidance on how to achieve this desired system (see sketch attached).   There are basically two parts to this system.

Drawing 1 shows the first assembly which is basically an extruded aluminum stud with hulls coming off one side.  These hulls vary in how far they stick out and I would like them to be parametric so that I can easily do different studies to look at different depths.  There will only be two types of alternating hulls in order to achieve a basketweave type of undulating pattern.

Drawing 2 shows the metal panels themselves, the corners of which would connect to the outer corners of the hulls.

What is the best way to achieve this type of system in Revit?  I know this is a fairly advanced task and will have to try a couple different things but just looking for some words of wisdom to get me off on the right path.  Will I basically just create a parametric family/component for the stud and hulls and then individually place each panel as an adaptive component with 4 reference points?  If I change the depth of the hulls will the adaptive component move with it?  or do the stud and hulls need to be another adaptive component that the panels can snap to?

Any thoughts or experiences appreciated. Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
GREMMELS87
in reply to: GREMMELS87

I went ahead and created the parametric family for the studs and hulls.  and attached a 4 point adaptive component to the corners of the hulls.  when I move the stud family the adaptive component moves with it so I will be able to do various studies on an entire facade by only clicking a few buttons.  However, the downside is that I have to go in a manually snap each adaptive component to its four corners and I have over a hundred to do.  I thought there was a way to get the adaptive component to automatically fill in all the spots but that might only be for when using a curtain wall system which I'm not sure will work for this type of system.

Still looking for suggestions.  Not sure if the way I did it was incorrect or if there are more efficient ways out there.

Message 3 of 6
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: GREMMELS87

You need to create a pattern-based family, and then apply the pattern to the cells of a divided surface.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 6

Something like this:

10-04-2014 7-58-32 PM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 6

hi

Thank Alfredo 

Please use " Accept as Solution", and give kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 6
GREMMELS87
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Wow! Thanks for the reply.  I will definitely give that a try.  I assume I will be able to make the adaptive component parametric so that I can study it in different ways? Also, if the grid changes do I need to create a new grid for every instance? What I mean is that, in my case the width of the panels will vary from one column of panels to another, it won't just be a simple square uniform pattern across the board.  In other words, will I be able to move the individual lines of the pattern to meet my specific needs for spacing?  or are separate patterns required? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report