Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

about creating new layers.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
sitaramaiah
2841 Views, 9 Replies

about creating new layers.

Hi 

Iam confused about creating the layers in revit 2013 

Is they any easy way to create them 

PLZ suggest me 

Thanks

Sitaramaiah

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
LinasL
in reply to: sitaramaiah

There is no such thing as layers in Revit. So either you want to use worksets or line styles (not sure what was your intention of the use of layers)

Message 3 of 10
sitaramaiah
in reply to: LinasL

Thanks for That

Can you please explain about the multi-User Collaboration which is used for
work sharing in REVIT 2013

Thanks

Sitaramaiah
Message 4 of 10
LinasL

There are plenty discussions created regarding collaboration in revit.

In a few words: you need to set up a central file which then needs to be connected to local files of every user and then you just explore Collaborate tab in revit 😉

Message 5 of 10
Alisder.Brown

sitaramaiah

Do you mean AutoCAD?

Creating Layers in AutoCAD is the same as it was in previous versions, type in the command LAYER then choose the button to create new layer (or "Alt" & "N") then just run through your normal process for naming, colours etc.

If you are indeed Referring to Revit, then I can imagine you would be confused trying to create layers 🙂

Revit is not like AutoCAD, in terms of drawing creation. Revit does not use Layers (in the way you are used to), Revit uses objects (known as families), each within their own category, and this is what dictates the default line settings. 

For example, in Revit, if you want to draw a wall, you choose the wall tool, select the required TYPE of wall, input your settings (base and top constraint) then draw the wall. This creates a 3D wall, where as in AutoCAD you have to draw each line individually to represent a wall, in Revit, it IS a wall, not lines. The wall is in the category of "WALLS" and the category of "WALLS" have default settings for the Outline of the wall (known in Revit as "Projection" line, as well as the "CUT" line. and all the materials within the wall. These category properties dictate Colour, Line style and line Thickness. 

If you wish to change these settings, there are many ways to do so. One way is from the "Manage" tab > "Settings" panel > "Object styles". This will change the GLOBAL default for the whole project. You may edit these setting PER VIEW if you wish, this will override the previously mentioned settings, but only for the view you specify. This can be done from the views Visibility/Graphics override (shortcut command is VG). There are other ways to change the settings but these are the most common.

I hope this helps 

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 6 of 10
sitaramaiah

Thanks for answer

Can you explain the that central file can work in both Projects and
Families

For example

I want to create the families with work sharing with other user in that
conditions we can use the central file are not
Message 7 of 10
LinasL

Nope, it is impossible to use collaboration features in families..

But why do you need that? As soon as you place it in project environment then another user can access it, just be aware that only one user can work on that family at a time (worksets can help you here). 

Message 8 of 10
sitaramaiah

Thanks for that

Can you tell me that how the create families are load into projects files can tell me the format for that

In this the families template is between to project template then how can we load one into another
Message 9 of 10
rosskirby

Please take a look at the online Revit help.  Most of the questions you have can be answered by simple searches there:

If you run into a unique problem, or one that is not addressed by the online help, please feel free to post your question here.

Also, I would suggest attending one of the training sessions that your reseller likely provides.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 10 of 10
sitaramaiah
in reply to: rosskirby

Thanks for the answer

I Have try that solutions suggested by you and I got the result about the work sharing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report