Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6" Generic Wall

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
6650 Views, 10 Replies

6" Generic Wall

I have just installed Revit 2013 and I'm going through some video tutorials. The problem is, I see a 6" generic wall being drawn in the video but when I click on my wall command, I can not find a 6" generic wall in the options available. What is wrong? Can someone help me?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
LisaDrago
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you starting from an Architectural Template?

Once you start the wall command - you need to go to the type selector and in the list there should be the 6" wall you need. 

I have attached an image for reference.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: LisaDrago

Hi,

Thanks for your help but my type selector has nothing in it suggesting a generic wall. All I see in there are different types of cavity wall and a few other wall types. I am trying to move from Autocad architecture to Revit and from where I am coming we mostly build with 150mm (6") blocks.

Do you think it is an installation error? Anyway thanks again for your help.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Hi, I am using Revit architecture 2012. I was following an online tutorial. There arent any generil walls in my library. Where do i find them? I could create it, but I dnt want to be wrong with the materials and cores etc.... All i see is foundation, cavity and pattern walls.. please help me 😞

I have attached a pic

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

availability of wall types (and type of other elements) depends on the template you choose to start the project/model.

Since you are just begining, it's recommended to use propoer template (described in the tutorials).

Advance users can use 'transper project standards' to transfer wall types from one project to another.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

I am having the same problem, I am working through the 2014 Essential Book and I quote, Basic Walls Page 32 " The Revit Architecture default templateincludes several wall types. The most basic types have no detailed structure and are named with the prefix Generic for easy identification".

When I open any of my default templates, I can not see the Generic Wall family.

Message 7 of 11
Chris.Aquino

Which library did you install? The reason I ask is that the documention to which you are referring uses the architectural template from the US Imperial library. From the screenshots, I see structural foundation walls which usually aren't in the Arch template (as well as the dimensions being Metric).

If you do not have the US Imperial library installed, the following pages have more information on how to do this.

2014 and before

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

This thread I created, will show you what I have done, incidentally I have followed the 2014 instructions you gave the link to and still no generic wall family.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture/revit-architecture-2014-essentials-book/td-p/527350...

Screen shot included of wall types after installing, UK, US Metric and Imperial content packs.

Surely there still should be generic walls available in the UK content pack?

I clean installed 2015 and have had the same problem.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

In my 2015 install, I have an architectural, construction, stuctural and mechanical templates available as default templates without any project open. In the architectural and construction template there are no generic walls but in the structural template there ais a generic 200mm,, generic 225mm masonry and generic 300mm wall, so if generic walls are available in one template, can I not load them into the other templates? Just looked through the Us Imperial and Metric Libraries in 2014, via load family from the insert tab, can't find the generic wall family. feel like Im getting closer to the solution but no cigar yet!!

Message 10 of 11
jarnautovic00

I have Revit Architecture 2014 and when I open program there's no options "architectural tmplate, structural template" etc. which I saw in some tutorials. There are only "open" and "new" options. And when I open project and click wall > architecture wall there are no generic walls. There are just "basic wall: basic wall 1", "curtain wall: curtain wall 1" and "stacked wall: stacked wall 1". What should I do?

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: jarnautovic00

Wow,  you dug up an old thread....  

The "Architectural Template" is the "default.rte"...you want to start with that vs anything else if you are designing.

Else you have to setup all your walls...as they are system families and project file specific.  Meaning you can't just load a "family"...but you can "transfer project standards" from another project file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report